Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V8VR AC compressor-unpredictable pulley damage

Old 09-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Denver V8V is an unknown quantity at this point
V8VR AC compressor-unpredictable pulley damage

So I take my '09 V8VR to change out the belt and pulley (from old style to new) so it doesn't chirp and the tech finds why my belt is wearing so strangely. It is the original belt and thus why I wanted to install a new one. It turns out that somewhere in my driving, a hard object impacted the pulley of the compressor (as the photo shows). I would have never guessed or thought that this type of damage was possible. Talk about bum luck.

I've been planning a nice road trip and thus short notice for such a headache and subsequent delay thus it required the compressor to be replaced. Of course it could only be had from the dealer as I searched for other vendors and rebuilt ones to no avail. If I had more time I would have taken it to a machine shop and had the clutch assembly pulley and bearing replaced or shipped it out to one of the various rebuilders and it would have been substantially less expensive.

Anyway, I have the compressor and if anyone needs one and has the time to change out the pulley, let me know I'll sell it for a reasonable amount. Here are some pictures of it on the car and after removal.

Last edited by Denver V8V; 09-12-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 09-12-2018, 04:43 PM
Compressor photos

view from underneath the car

Old 09-12-2018, 06:24 PM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
looks like someone hit your pulley with a hammer...

Old 09-13-2018, 07:24 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
Looks more like someone was using it as a pry bar fulcrum rather than an impact. The top photo doesn't show any related impact damage, so how would something get in there while driving yet not damage the surrounding area?

Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by XJRS Owner
Looks more like someone was using it as a pry bar fulcrum rather than an impact. The top photo doesn't show any related impact damage, so how would something get in there while driving yet not damage the surrounding area?
Good point, who knows? No one will admit it

Old 09-17-2018, 02:13 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Denver V8V
Compressor photos

view from underneath the car

take the puly to a reputable machine shop, they can turn up a aluminum knurling tool,then in a lathe spin it and retrue it to almost perfect
certainly it's a low reving part and it can be repaired to a point where it will be fine 2 hours labor tops!
if you were close I would do it for you ...so that my R 8 neighbor who has Prada and Victoria secret in his snap on tool case can see what us men can do with tools

in fact I would turn that puly out of a piece of billet in 45 mins and for a bit of extra touch I would machine the bond logo and wings into it for a giggle!
todays artisans only work with lap top and calculator, find a man who did his trade as a fitter and turner and your sorted...... I wanted to the trade as a gynecologist...sadly I never made the grade...