Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Wind noise coming from windshield on driver side

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 05:24 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Window needs to be adjusted OR the seal is shaped now to the previous window adjustment OR its twisted in channel.

The vertical gap between the door window and the rear 1/4 glass, should be even top to bottom and roughly 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch(not book spec, just what I've notice is the norm). Also check around the perimeter of the door glass where it tucks under the chrome trim, you should not be able to grab the glass with your finger nail, if you can it needs adjustment.

Old 11-07-2018, 06:05 PM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SheriffDep
Just a thought---- try one of two things----1. Clean the rubber window gasket seal with isopropyl alcohol; so it is clean. Clean the groove also that the window slides into there in the front corner if I am thinking correctly. 2. Try maybe pulling out on the gasket just a bit and see if that seals it better. If it does, then its just a matter of adding something to the under neath part of the gasket to keep it out a bit.

Obviously its a seal that is not sealing with pressure. Also at speed, pressure may be sucking the glass outwards, which then allows for air and now water to seep in. Hence your wind noise above 38mph.

I would think something along the lines of what I said will fix it. The water has now helped you figure out just where the issue is. So that is a huge plus IMHO. Should be a simple enough trial by error fix. This definitely is not a common issue with DB9's.
I did all the basic stuff like cleaning and pulling little bit. During last visit, tech showed me small gap between the glass and panel which he said he fixed it. Looks like it didn't work out. I asked SM to contact AM NA and get help as Orlando dealership doesn't seem to have techs with skillset. This is one of many things. All of a sudden, passenger side rear brakes make clang clang sound on rough surface. They BS that it is normal and put some tape so it won't make noise. When the tape wears out, I have to drive 120 miles and get tape put it there. This is ridiculous. I saw a DB11 AMR there and waiting to see DBS before deciding which one to buy. But I am afraid that I will have issues with their service due to lack of skillset.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:27 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Sorry, was traveling and broke my laptop. I will get the pic for you tonight, also look at the window from the outside when it is all the way up. Look to make sure the window is tight against the leading edge and top, also look at the back side of the window, make sure the window is a perfect 90 degree's. Mine was off a little bit and when I straightened it out, it cut the wind noise down a lot.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Sheriffdep, think it has to do with age more than anything. Rubber hardens over time and a misaligned window will create havoc, I know from experience.

Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 PM
From your pic, looks like you have the same problem as me and in the exact spot. From experience, if the window is not out of alignment you will have to either readjust the window higher or replace the seal. Also, what I mean by adjusting higher is loosen the bolts that hold the window in place and push up slightly, mine seemed to have slipped a little over time, you cannot hurt anything by doing this (unless you misalign) as the window motor has an automatic stop when it meets resistance.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 AM
cuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond reputecuddapah has a reputation beyond repute
I dropped off the car with Orlando dealership. I tried cleaning the seals. Don't know how to adjust windows without instructions. Water still gets in and knocked off driver side door speaker. The speaker worked after couple of days. They are working on it today. I miss it. But what a relief from all the miseries of owning an Aston Martin! Enjoying driving my 2011 BMW Z4. The last time BMW tech worked on it is more than 4 years back before I bought this DB9 new. Thinking of how many times I had to drive to the dealership for several issues, I might have bought a lemon.
IMHO - it is not age of the seals. It is lack of skill set for the techs to work on these cars.
I was considering getting a DB11 AMR or DBS or Limited Edition DBS Tag Heuer Edition. But keep asking myself who is going to service them. I can't drive to the dealership every week.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:56 AM
Curious why you did not take the car to the Jax dealer, World Imports?
Orlando dealer has been good to me, though they just did an alignment.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by randyb
Curious why you did not take the car to the Jax dealer, World Imports?
Orlando dealer has been good to me, though they just did an alignment.
There is no Aston Martin dealer in Jax. World Imports is not authorized. Are they?
Orlando dealership did alignment recently. No complaints on this.

Last edited by cuddapah; 11-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:29 AM

Quick update … I was informed that tech adjust door and window. It will be ready for pickup on Monday. But there are some other issues that need to be addressed which I will post in a new thread for suggestions. So I am holding off picking up until I talk with after sales director. Enjoying my gorgeous 2011 BMW Z4

Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 PM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
Nice ride now that the cooler weather is here. Great time to drive a convertible.