Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Porterfield pads on a DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 12:00 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
Porterfield pads on a DB9

I only got 20k miles and the fronts are worn out and a lot of those miles are interstate driving, thinking about getting another brand. Does anybody know if they make the dustless pads for our cars?

Thanks

Old 11-13-2018, 12:42 PM
Squaremeal is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by randyb
I only got 20k miles and the fronts are worn out and a lot of those miles are interstate driving, thinking about getting another brand. Does anybody know if they make the dustless pads for our cars?

Thanks
Richard (Redpants) did a nice video discussing the options:

Old 11-13-2018, 02:01 PM
Saw that, was surprised that he has not tried EBC pads. I loved them on my Evora, I might give them a try.

BTW, Richard great video as always.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Gene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond reputeGene G has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Porterfield R4S pads on my Vantage and they are great. I wish that I could get them for our DB11 or some pads that don’t make so much dust.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I had the Red Stuff on my V8V, almost no dust great breaking but terrible squealing below five km/h for the first 800 km. I am now on the Yellow Stuff, same noise on the beginning, normal dust, very very good braking.
All a matter of personal taste.

Cheers

Christian

Old 11-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Squaremeal is on a distinguished road
Aston1936 had some strong opinions on the EBC pads...

https://aston1936.com/2018/09/30/ebc...on-martin-db9/

Old 11-16-2018, 04:34 PM
GDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the roughGDay2 is a jewel in the rough
I know Aston1936 experience, it all comes down to personal preferences. My number one is brake performance, EBC thumbs up; number two is dust, could not complain with the red stuff; number three is noise, EBC squeal the first 800 to 1000 km below 5-10 km/h - I had the nerves to go through this and was rewarded with great braking performance. Bear in mind that I knew of this noise before I installed them, this might also make a difference if Aston 1936 did not know it.
But I do understand anybody with different preferences particularly if it takes ages to manage the bedding in which I must admit is very embarrassing at times.
I have not tried the Porterfields yet, for the next season I have the Blue Stuff NDX on my list.
Cheers
Christian

Old 12-28-2018, 08:25 AM
Yellow is the track pad and red is the street pad and green is the entry level/Honda pad. I just put Red's on the front and really like them, though they seem to be a little noisier in stop and go traffic and the dust is less than the Porterfield's, not sure I can tell a difference in stopping power, as I have not had to stand on the brakes, yet (Hope I never have too).
Nothing was wrong, pads wore evenly on both sides. But I do get in stop and go traffic a lot, will let you know when I have 5-6k miles how well these do.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:51 PM
Jagman70 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Redpants
I've used EBC on a couple other vehicles and haven't been happy with them long-term.
Green were okay but didn't provide the stopping power I wanted.
Yellow were great for stopping but dusty and seemed to be hard on rotors.
I haven't tried red because they're meant to be a track-oriented pad and I didn't have a use for them back when I was trying EBC.

The pads I sell are ones I've been happy enough to use and continue using, and I get great manufacturer support from them (this is a big thing for me because I've lost a ton of money on unsupportive suppliers, including for brakes).
The R4-S pads are the best I've found for the vast majority of Aston owners so long as you don't track your car (unless you have 6-piston front calipers, then you're fine). Extremely rare to hear someone unhappy with them, and that's usually due to improper installation. Just search for "brake pads" in the search bar on the Redpants home page and you'll find tons of info.
I switched to R4-S pads because of brake dust based on Rich's assessment and recommendations for brake pads. The Porterfields are great. It only took me an hour or so to switch them out for the OEM pads. No squeal- no brake dust. I don't track my car so that is not an issue. They are fine for sporty driving.