Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Aston lost a client today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:18 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by blue2000s
This is the first time I've seen a legit suggestion for an alternative filter. Irish - what's your experience with this Mann filter? Does it match the factory bypass pressure rating?

Nothing special about the Vantage V8 bypass pressure. It is 1 bar. The filter Irish mentioned is used on a wide range of Jags with the 4.2 V8 and the Land Rover 4.2. It is also 1-bar. It is a diff model Aston Martin that has the 23 psi bypass.

Been running non oe oil filters now for two years. Actually many non OE consumables. No issues. Didn’t the OE filter destroy an engine not too long ago? Gave up the experiment on here as there seemed to be vested interest in NOT finding a suitable cross reference. Haven’t found much on my car is original cept say the oil sump.

Kudos Captain Greg. It’s that bs hype about this brand and it’s fake “special needs” that’s turned me off. My Aston Martin is a Frankenstein of parts kludged together from Volvo, Ford, Mazda, Magna, Bosch and a few others, and not necessarily the best of any of those suppliers. Best thing about it is the upholstery and the badge. Obviously folk ( me included) pay for the name and not the performance or reliability.

Like you in your mustang, I seem to put more miles on other cars in my fleet. Seems Aston Martins have a natural tendency to become garage queens for the wrong reasons.

End rant.

Last edited by BMW-North; 11-27-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:32 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
This is the first time I've seen a legit suggestion for an alternative filter. Irish - what's your experience with this Mann filter? Does it match the factory bypass pressure rating?
I don't have any issues with them, MANN is a big OEM euro supplier. I own an Audi and most of the OEM stuff is MANN or similar. I've never tested the new black OEM filters to see what the bypass is at, but I'm assuming it's low and not taken into consideration. FRAM equivalent is set around 9-16psi while MANN is believed to be much higher(if it was 23psi that would be awesome), running a high viscosity of oil, I'd want to have the highest bypass pressure choice possible. If MANN is 23psi and OEM is in the 9-16psi(?) range, I'd take the MANN over OEM while running 10W60..

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9
Office: (1)250-485-5126
Email: Tuning@VelocityAP.com

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-27-2018, 05:49 PM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future

The Mann filter you mentioned is 1-bar (14.5 +/- 3 psi) I’m sure it would suffice. The Wix filter I use in my v8v is a higher psi relief.

Last edited by BMW-North; 11-27-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:09 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Irish07@VelocityAP
I don't have any issues with them, MANN is a big OEM euro supplier. I own an Audi and most of the OEM stuff is MANN or similar. I've never tested the new black OEM filters to see what the bypass is at, but I'm assuming it's low and not taken into consideration. FRAM equivalent is set around 9-16psi while MANN is believed to be much higher(if it was 23psi that would be awesome), running a high viscosity of oil, I'd want to have the highest bypass pressure choice possible. If MANN is 23psi and OEM is in the 9-16psi(?) range, I'd take the MANN over OEM while running 10W60..
Having owned Porsches, I'm also familiar with the MANN filters. They are high quality, but as you say, if the bypass pressure is too low, the thick oil in this car will just be pushed passed the filter. I see it's rated at only 1 bar which is about 30% lower than the factory Aston Filter.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:12 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
This may be a bit off topic. I know dealers and some independent shops where I live in US don’t want you to bring them parts, or even tires to install.

They told me, there was litigation cases, in which a customer part broke and caused an accident and sued the businesses. Same with tires. Afraid the customer tires can be defective and if caused an accident or worse, it becomes the dealers/independent liability.

Yea, I know, we can buy the parts and tires from the same distributor as dealer. With tires, if Tire Rack and their preferred installer, that is acceptable.

Old 11-27-2018, 06:20 PM
Basic Sponsor
Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Irish07@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
Having owned Porsches, I'm also familiar with the MANN filters. They are high quality, but as you say, if the bypass pressure is too low, the thick oil in this car will just be pushed passed the filter. I see it's rated at only 1 bar which is about 30% lower than the factory Aston Filter.
Honestly, I have no figures for the OEM oil filter, statement was complete hypothetical if MANN was higher.

Just curious how you dug up -30% difference from OEM. Honestly, I have no figures for the OEM filter, statement was complete hypothetical if MANN was higher.

Do you know the bypass pressure of OEM white vs black casing? Are they the same?

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-27-2018, 08:26 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mto
This may be a bit off topic. I know dealers and some independent shops where I live in US don’t want you to bring them parts, or even tires to install.

They told me, there was litigation cases, in which a customer part broke and caused an accident and sued the businesses. Same with tires. Afraid the customer tires can be defective and if caused an accident or worse, it becomes the dealers/independent liability.

Yea, I know, we can buy the parts and tires from the same distributor as dealer. With tires, if Tire Rack and their preferred installer, that is acceptable
I can see their point, but no indy or dealer has said that to me. On the Aston, it's only been a speaker cover that I provided for them to install, but on my Lotus, I supplied the brake fluid. They had no qualms on that. With the indy I use on my Jags, they were totally fine with supplying parts; one less thing they have to order. They would be hesitant or say no to install something they know is crap. I would want them to say that if it were the case. I don't mind the shop making a few bucks on parts, but when the spread is huge then have to consider everything.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:22 PM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Honestly, I have no figures for the OEM oil filter, statement was complete hypothetical if MANN was higher.

Just curious how you dug up -30% difference from OEM. Honestly, I have no figures for the OEM filter, statement was complete hypothetical if MANN was higher.

Do you know the bypass pressure of OEM white vs black casing? Are they the same?
I've only seen what's been posted here on the board before so I can't point to any definitive spec sheets, unfortunately.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4584266

Last edited by blue2000s; 11-28-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:11 AM
RJRDenver is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
@captain Greg You should write Andy Palmer with a summary of events if you think there may be a dim glimmer of hope of buying another Aston. I know you are pissed right now, and rightfully so. The local dealer may need a dressing down from corporate.
I agree. Contact Aston Martin Lagonda directly. I had an issue with my one and only dealer here in Denver, CO, USA and Aston Martin America stepped in, made it right. Restored faith in the brand for me.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:43 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold

Hi Irish

I received from AM Bits the filters I ordered was unaware that you could ship them but thanks for that info.

My issue is that the new filter is black in colour and it seems inside as if the construction is a bit different to the white OEM filter ??/ is this a problem?

Old 11-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Basic Sponsor
Originally Posted by captain Greg
Hi Irish

I received from AM Bits the filters I ordered was unaware that you could ship them but thanks for that info.

My issue is that the new filter is black in color and it seems inside as if the construction is a bit different to the white OEM filter ??/ is this a problem?
Your right, it's a bit different. The casing and color is obvious, but I honestly have no idea whats been changed inside and if Aston actually had the filter company change up something to not cause the anti-drain-back-valve seal from chafing apart.

By the time I had noticed an issue, the white filters were long gone, so I couldn't open one of each and compare side-by-side, test bypass spring load..etc.

In my mind either something was up with the bypass spring load being under the previous white casing load, or the anti-drain valve either opened to large or the seal valve was cheap, thin and would get sucked through.

214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, B.C
Canada V0H 1T9

www.velocityap.com

Old 11-30-2018, 01:37 PM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
Originally Posted by captain Greg
My issue is that the new filter is black in colour and it seems inside as if the construction is a bit different to the white OEM filter ??/ is this a problem?
Only when it implodes

Old 12-01-2018, 01:28 AM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the input, the old filter part number is 6G430410054 is about 10mm longer than the new black filter part number 9G33-6714-AA the inside appears to be different? my concern with the black filter......

I was asking a Medical doctor one day when we were flying to an accident ...why are the antibiotics and pain killer pills always white....I cant post his response on this forum unfortunately, but lets hope the new filter works.

Old 12-01-2018, 01:37 AM
HabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to allHabitualOffender is a name known to all
I have a case of white filters if anybody wants any specific pics or measurements.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:07 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Greg,

i have two white ones that I think are the same for the V8V and the DB9. Can easily ship one to you, HO has a case.

Also--dont let a schmuck ruin the wonderful ownership of a AM. You have enjoyed yours immensely but see below to what you would be missing. The new one drives wonderfully and if you like the looks its stellar. AM Bits, VelocityAP, and RedPants can get you always taken care of for any new part you would want, shipped to your door. No need for the dealer's involvement. Cut them out.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aston lost a client today