Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Waterfall removal MY2012+ vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:49 AM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Waterfall removal MY2012+ vantage

I have the dreaded cracks in my piano black waterfall and was planning on pulling it to get Madera to redo it in burl walnut.
I was hoping I could get input from someone who has done this. It appears all the posts on removal are for earlier model vantages. From what I can see from the workshop manual which is also quite vague. On the Garmin nav equipped vantages 2012 and later you need to remove the waterfall as a unit with the navigation screen then remove the nav screen from behind. Also they refer to aston martin special tool 43-28092 to release the 4 clips from to remove the waterfall from the dash. From what I can gather this "special tool" is just a body panel releasing tool. Is that correct?
Thanks for the help.
I plan on videoing the process because in all my searching I can not find a single vid on removal of the unit on the newer vantages.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:03 AM
dpath is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently did this job on my 2012 V8V S. I used a plastic trim removal tool to (carefully) pry the waterfall from the dash. I was then able to disconnect all the electrical plugs and retention strap screws. The hardest part of the job for me was removing the navigation screen from its veneer cover. The whole job took me about an hour. I was able to tour the Madera factory when I dropped off the waterfall pieces. They are definitely craftsman and did a great job refinishing my piano black veneer.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of

I was too scared to do it - I had Aston dealer do the exchange - $80.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:36 PM
papigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of lightpapigko is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks for the fast reply dpath Its good to know I'm not missing something.
I would have the dealer do it but Madera needs the piece for 3 wks to refinish so I'd much rather have her safe at home. Love the Tamo Ash but unfortunately they only have the piece for sport shift cars.Seeing your original post is what got me thinking that I need to go with wood in place of the piano black

Old 02-13-2019, 08:28 PM
terminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to beholdterminal_ac is a splendid one to behold
I do this all the time. At first, it would seem the best way to remove the waterfall is with pry tools and all that. However, over time I've learned another way (can't recall which thread I read about it).

The best and safest way to release the water fall from the dash is to open the navigation door and grab the sides of the waterfall via the open interior space and yank up really hard (not so hard that you smash upward into the windscreen though).

It very easy this way, and there's less risk to the interior.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:30 AM
bwright is on a distinguished road
Nav door removal.

Not to highjack the thread, but on my 2015 V12 vantage S, the mounting of the Nav door has changed. There is no longer the little springs on either side that release the door from the nav screen. Does anyone have the removal procedure (hopefully with pics) of how this is done in the later cars?

Old 02-14-2019, 08:37 AM
dpath is an unknown quantity at this point
As I mentioned, this was the hardest part of the job for me. As I remembr, I had to remove a couple of screws below the screen and then carefully slide out the screen from the door mechanism. This then gives access to additional screws that hold the door. Sorry I didn’t take photos of the process. Perhaps someone else has a simpler method.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Having now just done this remove the waterfall with the nav unit intact unplug key unit and nav from behind are remove the 2 strap securing screws at the top of the unit by the speaker.
The repair manual really helps
http://astonmartin.blob.core.windows...e-s/index.html
r=leftRemove the centre stack assembly (15.01.CB - Centre Stack Assembly).
[Open Workshop Manual Procedure]2.Remove the four screws that attach the mechanism for the navigation display screen to the centre stack assembly.3.Remove the mechanism for the navigation display screen.4.
Note. The Mechanism can be opened manually.
Move the navigation screen into the open position.5.Remove the two screws that attach the holder for the navigation display screen to the mechanism for the navigation display screen.6.Release the two clips that attach the holder for the navigation display screen to the mechanism for the navigation display screen.7.Remove the holder for the navigation display screen.8.Remove the navigation display screen.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 AM
bwright is on a distinguished road
Thanks, this helps a lot.