Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Waterfall removal instructions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:43 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Waterfall removal instructions

I'm going to install a Dension audio expansion module. I don't want to damage the satnav door taking the waterfall off. I can't find clear instructions on how to release the screen from the door. The popular youtube vid on the subject already has a broken door so it's not much help. Does anyone have a guide or can provide details?

Old 08-16-2016, 09:19 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
What year car?

Early cars have two wire spring prongs on the back of the nav unit that slip into slots on the nav door. Just lift up the nav door a little bit and you can slip your fingers in between the nav unit and door and spread the spring prongs towards the outside edges of the nav unit until the slip out.

Later cars have little plastic tabs on the edges of the nav door that clip on the outer edges of the screen.

My car has the springs and I've removed the door and waterfall dozens of times while I was screwing around with my Dension unit. The first time took me like 40 minutes, now I can remove the waterfall in less than one minute

Old 08-16-2016, 10:18 AM
blue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the roughblue2000s is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
What year car?

Early cars have two wire spring prongs on the back of the nav unit that slip into slots on the nav door. Just lift up the nav door a little bit and you can slip your fingers in between the nav unit and door and spread the spring prongs towards the outside edges of the nav unit until the slip out.

Later cars have little plastic tabs on the edges of the nav door that clip on the outer edges of the screen.

My car has the springs and I've removed the door and waterfall dozens of times while I was screwing around with my Dension unit. The first time took me like 40 minutes, now I can remove the waterfall in less than one minute
Awesome, Thanks!

Old 08-16-2016, 03:04 PM
EZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud ofEZ Cookin has much to be proud of
I don't recommend prying the waterfall piece out from the sides like it shows in the popular video. If you grab the waterful by the top and bottom of the navigation area you can pull the unit out.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Jeff_335i
I've removed the door and waterfall dozens of times while I was screwing around with my Dension unit.
Why did you have to access the unit so many times?

Old 08-17-2016, 10:37 AM
Jeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to beholdJeff_335i is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Why did you have to access the unit so many times?
The first time I installed it I decided I didn't like how I routed some of the wires and the fiber optics. Then I decided I didn't like the second way I did and it and tried it a third way. Then I used the unit for a while but it was acting weird (menus not working correctly) so I re-checked everything. then I opened a support ticket with Dension to try to figure out the problem. Which resulted in 2 more removals and re-installations while working through the problem with their engineer. Then they decided my unit was defective so I had to remove it again and then re-install a new unit. And finally I re-routed the wires one last time to put the aux input box behind the seats instead of in the glove box.

So maybe dozens of times is an exaggeration but it was still a lot of times and felt like dozens!