996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Installing diff in front diff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 12:05 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Installing diff in front diff

I have just inspected the bearings on my front differential, meaning the differential had to come out.

Now i have browsed through the repairmanual without finding any instructions on how to put it back together.
Can i use the lid to press the differential/bearings in place?

I don't have a pneumatic press available, also im conecerned with using a hammer.

Old 04-03-2016, 12:13 PM
Ronny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud ofRonny- has much to be proud of
Heres a photo of the diff, that i need to press into the housing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MooRV0O.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	539209

Old 04-03-2016, 11:08 PM
nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !nick49 Is a GOD !
Normally one would heat the housing, drop the bearing in, support the inner race of the bearing, with the outer oil seal removed, and press in the diif. Don't want to press using force through the ***** as it can damage the bearing.

Did you need to press out the diff or did it just come out with little force? The above procedure is assuming a light to moderate press fit of the diff bearing into the housing. There is always a correct way for bearing installation. You may even need new bearings depending upon how these were removed. Often disassembly will destroy a bearing, in reality it may not but could. It is dependent upon how much lateral force was generated between the inner and outer races and if it was significant to cause damage. There is no easy way to determine this. A general rule is, if in doubt, replace it and install the new ones using a sequence that will keep them relaxed during the process.

Old 04-04-2016, 03:33 AM
First i removed the lid using a plastic tool.
After that I removed the diff with a couple of hits with the hammer on a drift.
So it didnt sit to bad.
Thats why i was curious if i could use the lid to force it back in.

I understand the desired procedure on installing this, where you should not put pressure from the inner to the outer part of the bearing.
But since its not a to tight fit i believe the bearing should not take any damage.

You know what, ill throw the diff in the fridge and heat the housing, and try carefully with the lid after heating both lid and housing.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:48 PM
After a night in the freezer i heated the housing with a hairdryer for 5minutes.
And it slid right in without any force.

Old 04-05-2016, 04:30 PM
Stebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond reputeStebo has a reputation beyond repute
That's huge! Nice work

Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 PM
vqsas is an unknown quantity at this point
How to open the differential housing to see

Hello from Tokyo.
I have MY2003 C4S and would like to disassemble the front diff unit to see and replace nesessaryb geara if possible with the parts I have.

But I'm stopped at removing Viscus unit and can't go further to desiassemble the diff unit so far.

Could you please tell me how to open the lid from the diff shell and taking out the center gear unit to chack any problem there?

Please see photos where I am with below link for my DropBox folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y7miq9egj...FuXlTuG2a?dl=0

You don't need to join/register yourselt to the DropBox servce which will ask you to do so, but just ignore the invitation to the service registry and carry on viewing the file in the link.
You can browse and/or download pics from the menu mark on right upper corner.

Originally Posted by Ronny-
First i removed the lid using a plastic tool.
After that I removed the diff with a couple of hits with the hammer on a drift.
So it didnt sit to bad.
Thats why i was curious if i could use the lid to force it back in.

I understand the desired procedure on installing this, where you should not put pressure from the inner to the outer part of the bearing.
But since its not a to tight fit i believe the bearing should not take any damage.

You know what, ill throw the diff in the fridge and heat the housing, and try carefully with the lid after heating both lid and housing.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:26 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ferential.html Did you remove the circle inside where the shaft goes? If you need the images of this thread I can email them yo you....

Old 05-13-2020, 06:37 AM
Hi jpflip,
Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I ahve removed the C clip and the viscous unit could be removed.
Now I don't know how to pull out the gear shaft beyond the viscous unit.
There seems to ahve a hex nut which may lock the shaft somehow.
With what tool and do I need to take the nut out first to pull out the shaft?

And then I'm not sure how I can open the shell which contains diff gears insede.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:47 AM
jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !jpflip Is a GOD !
I never done the job but I remember Adam699 did it and he post this thread: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ferential.html. Can you found your answer on this thread? I got all the pictures if you need them...

Old 05-13-2020, 07:15 AM
Thank you, jpflip.
The one I need to remove is in the pic attached.

I'll look into the thread you refered.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:44 AM
Unfortunately I don't have the answer and Adam699 did not remove that part , sorry.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:07 PM
Hi jpflip, thank you for your kind support.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:11 PM
I was not a very big help, sorry ;-( Hope you will found a solution to remove this nut! Good luck!