996 Previous model naturally aspirated Porsche 911 community. Discuss C2, C2s, C4, C4s, Targa and Cabriolets.

How do I take off the front and rear lid release assembly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 03:44 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
How do I take off the front and rear lid release assembly

My cable slipped or something and my rear latch isn't working. I need to remove the lid release mechanisms on the left side of the drivers seat. I removed the the three plastic plugs but can't see in the holes to see what kind of tool I need to loosen the screws deep in the hole. The manual is not clear....Anyone have any tips or what the tool is I need. Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Gonzo911 will become famous soon enough
Are you sure your rear deck struts arn't shot? If they are there won't be enough tension to release the rear deck lid when you press the button. If you press the button and hear the electric "click", but the deck doesn't release, have someone lift up on the deck as you hit the button. If the deck won't stay up by itself, it's your deck struts.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
You need to use an Allen wrench. A hex driver is too big. I forget the exact size 5mm or 6mm t think. It can be hard to align the end of the wrench with the bolts but they are in there. You don't need to take them all the way out just loosen them a turn or two and pull up on the cover.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:51 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gonzo911
Are you sure your rear deck struts arn't shot? If they are there won't be enough tension to release the rear deck lid when you press the button. If you press the button and hear the electric "click", but the deck doesn't release, have someone lift up on the deck as you hit the button. If the deck won't stay up by itself, it's your deck struts.
Definitely not the struts...my problem is that the latch does not hold down the lid....its definitely a cable issue... Thanks though for the suggestion.

Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
You need to use an Allen wrench. A hex driver is too big. I forget the exact size 5mm or 6mm t think. It can be hard to align the end of the wrench with the bolts but they are in there. You don't need to take them all the way out just loosen them a turn or two and pull up on the cover.
Thanks...sounds like you have done this before.....I will give it a try....it seems to be a pretty blind hole that is for sure. And you are right...I could not get my hex driver in. I'll report back if this works.

Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 PM
You are brilliant!....its a 5 mm and I got it out....now I just need to figure out what I am looking for....I do think I have a cable that's binding. Many thanks for the help...this is what makes this forum great!

Old 07-21-2012, 11:04 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Glad I could help. It could be the latch mechanism itself that is binding.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Glad I could help. It could be the latch mechanism itself that is binding.
When I disconnect the cable....the latch seems to work fined....Its really looking like its the cable that is binding....I am wondering when I put in the Roll bar a month ago, is there I chance that I pinched it...I'm going to lube the hell out of it to see if that works.