Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Larini Sport Cats vs Silenced Cats vs. others

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 10:36 AM
AVSV8V is an unknown quantity at this point
Larini Sport Cats vs Silenced Cats vs. others

Hello all - New member. I purchased a 2010 V8V roadster and am looking to buy 200 cell cats. I need the great wisdom of this forum! I have the OE pipe and exhaust. I'm interested in people's experience with Larini sport cats (about $1275) and silenced cats (about $1563) (as opposed to secondary cat deletes). I know there are lots of threads on cats, but haven't seen any on Larini silenced, so thought I'd start a new one. Has anyone bought either one and paired with the stock back box? I'd like to get a sense of whether the sound is manageable with Fuse 22 in, but wicked with it out. The silenced cats, as I understand it, are louder than stock cats, but less loud than the sport cats. Anybody go for those as a "happy medium"? If I get the silenced ones will I lie awake at night and dream of a louder sound? There is very little on youtube on Larini cats (as opposed to back box).

I've ruled out Fabspeed because you have to get the x pipe with the cats, and therefore are 3X more expensive and more work if I want to switch the system back myself for weekend trips with my wife who is less into watching windows break as I drive by...

Anyone have a sense of how Larini compares to Velocity AP cats ($1895) or RSC cats (same price)? Thanks!

Old 02-14-2019, 11:51 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Why no the decats?

Old 02-14-2019, 12:14 PM
E5PR1T will become famous soon enough
I had Larini Sports Cats & Capristo Exhaust installed on my 4.3 Vantage last Friday. The combination is super loud. (See video below) The design of Capristo is basically a muffler delete (straight pipes) when the valves are open. The Larini cats are really nice in terms of quality. It is well made, and it's a name brand.

My buddy from Chicago had the VAP cats & QS Super Sport and it was too loud (his wife complained), so he switched to OEM sport exhaust and he's now very happy.

You can install a remote control ($20) plus a fuse adapter ($10) so you can remotely turn on & off the exhaust valves from inside the cabin. It takes 15 minutes to install & you can enjoy valve open or close at any time you want.

IMO the OEM box is still too quiet even with Fuse 22 pulled. Sports Cats with OEM Box should have perfect volume. With the remote you can open the valve Only when you want to, and close it before getting into your neighborhood.

I may be interested at selling my newly installed Larini Sports Cats for something quieter, either go back to oem cat or the silenced cats. Where in California are you? I'm in Socal

Last edited by E5PR1T; 02-14-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the responses. Brightoncorgi I said no de-cat because I don't have that option (wish it was). 2010 doesn't have secondary cats -- It is just 1 set of cats. Thanks for info E5PRIT. Funny, I saw your car on youtube before you sent this -- looks great. I am in the Bay Area. I have the remote for the Fuse, which is fantastic (got the one with the memory for which setting it was on last). Brilliant. I agree it is still too quiet and the OE cats leave much to be desired. Your car with the valves closed sounds manageable for driving through neighborhoods, though my neighbors would probably still hate it. Sounds like it would peel paint when the valves are open. Awesome! But maybe too awesome for me. I'd like to find that sweet spot of an 8 out of 10 when I lay into it. Do you think your exhaust when open is much louder than OE when opened?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:04 PM
E5PR1T will become famous soon enough
Which remote system do you have? Mine doesn't have memory so it's always in the off position (Valve open) when I start the car. I would like to look into your remote system.

For sure the Capristo is much louder than stock when valves are open. Most people either get high flow cats, or upgrade exhaust, from what I heard. Should be pretty perfect in terms of volume. My current set up is just too loud.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:12 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AVSV8V
Thanks for the responses. Brightoncorgi I said no de-cat because I don't have that option (wish it was). 2010 doesn't have secondary cats -- It is just 1 set of cats.
So is it 2011 then as the first year with secondary cats? I had the VAP on my '11 Vantage V8. Thought they were great. The Larini stuff is more polished looking.

Are headers and a tune an option?

Old 02-14-2019, 01:42 PM
I think 11 is when the 2 sets of cats started (1 in manifold and baby cat after it). I probably won't do headers. Trying to balance bang for the buck and meet goals for the car in terms of some performance increase and better sound. Cats seem like low-hanging fruit for sound and boost of 15 hp or so. Also, California has ridiculous smog laws that I won't get into here because I will get worked into a lather. It would be tough to install and uninstall manifolds; cats would be much easier. I am interested in ECU provided I could go back to stock.

Old 02-14-2019, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by E5PR1T
Which remote system do you have? Mine doesn't have memory so it's always in the off position (Valve open) when I start the car. I would like to look into your remote system.

For sure the Capristo is much louder than stock when valves are open. Most people either get high flow cats, or upgrade exhaust, from what I heard. Should be pretty perfect in terms of volume. My current set up is just too loud.
Are you interested in making me a deal on the Larini's E5PR1T so you can move to silenced CATS? I spoke with a guy are Larini on the phone and he said the silenced ones are best if you have an aftermarket exhaust and the sport ones are best if you have OE. If so, email me at aschwing@gibsondunn.com. Look at cccharger. They have a memory version of the remote. Solid product; easy install with pictures.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:08 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
I thought 2010.5 was when they started the baby 2ndary cats?

Old 02-15-2019, 05:42 PM
Scottiejo is on a distinguished road
I have a 2007 Roadster with the VAP tune, 200 cell cats, and hi flow intake filters with stock exhaust (fuse 22 pulled). Sounds amazing! Actually a lot better than most videos I have seen with other set-ups. I know i can't get the full effect from a video but I think you would be happy with cats and tune! At least start there and then decide if you need more.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Scottiejo
I have a 2007 Roadster with the VAP tune, 200 cell cats, and hi flow intake filters with stock exhaust (fuse 22 pulled). Sounds amazing! Actually a lot better than most videos I have seen with other set-ups. I know i can't get the full effect from a video but I think you would be happy with cats and tune! At least start there and then decide if you need more.
Thanks. Do you feel like the tune really amped things up? Is it easy to change it back and forth between stock and modified? I don’t know if the tune would pass smog in California. If not, I would have to be able to switch back and forth.

Old 02-16-2019, 10:40 AM
Scottiejo is on a distinguished road
Really easy to change back to the stock tune. Multiple tunes can be stored on the tuner.
Yes the tune really woke up the car. Throttle response is much better and has also increased power.