Cayenne
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Cayenne GTS Creaking Panoramic Roof - Silenced!

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:45 AM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Smile 09 Cayenne GTS Creaking Panoramic Roof - Silenced!

Ahhh! I am so thrilled.. I've been dealing with a creaky/creaking panoramic roof for a little over a year now.. Just didn't find the time to troubleshoot it until the other day..

I've read many threads saying it's possible the glass panels, dry seals, etc, although I know the sound of a "squeak" as compared to a "creak".. I would get an annoying creaking noise from the drivers side roof whenever the vehicle turned, hit a bump, etc.. Most of the time I didn't hear it because the radio was loud enough, but driving around with the kids (sleeping) amplified it even more..

The noise appear to always come from the front of the vehicle just above the headliner.. If you would pull on the plastic trim that goes across the vehicle you could replicate the noise.. I finally found the "sweet spot" to silence it.. It was on the left (driver's side) where the plastic piece rubbed against the metal.. I pried the plastic piece up just enough to slip a small piece of felt under it.. Once I did that, the noises appear to be silenced!

Posting this for others who experienced the same... You will need to remove the plastic trim piece to get to it easier (pops out rather easily)..

With the trim piece re-installed:

-Richie

Old 06-21-2012, 02:43 PM
Fkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant futureFkim011 has a brilliant future
I hope this is the answer to my prayers! If this is, you are a life saver from the headaches of going back and forth form the stealership.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:23 PM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
I've been having this annoying creaking noise in my pano roof as well for the past several months. It have been driving me crazy so I figure I give this fix a try. I test drove the car after this fix and I couldn't believe it fixed the issue. I hope this is a permanent and the noise will stay away for good. Thank you OP for a great post.

Old 06-06-2014, 03:26 PM
TurboS957 is on a distinguished road
Great post, mine also had that very small squeak as described above, I didn't have felt so used a small piece of denim fabric. I had also tried silicone on all the seals and noticed this contact point before, but lithium grease in the contact point had only solved the issue for a few miles. All gone now! Thank you

Old 03-24-2015, 12:20 PM
koolkat1973 will become famous soon enough
GREAT GREAT POST!!! I did this on both side of my panoramic roof and the most annoying squeaking noise is now gone. Thank you.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:10 PM
richie996 will become famous soon enoughrichie996 will become famous soon enough
Glad to see this tidbit helped others! My original felt piece did manage to work it's way out (after about 2 years). I substituted it with the self-stick-felt with the adhesive on it (like the kind you stick on the bottom of furniture to keep it from scratching the floors).. So far so good, and no creaks...!

Old 04-19-2015, 01:12 AM
hahnmgh63 is on a distinguished road
This one saved me too ('06 CTTS). I was starting to hate my roof. I've looked a few times over the last couple of years and it always sounded like it was coming from the center front area, maybe even the sunroof console. I put a piece of felt under both the left and right sides like in the post above and pure silence, wonderful.

Last edited by hahnmgh63; 02-17-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:07 AM
primm907 is on a distinguished road
It works! The squeaking and creaking were really beginning to take their toll on me and sucking a high level of enjoyment out of driving the Cayenne. Did the fix documented above, and it took away at least 80% of the noise. Some of the remaining sound may actually be due to the other things I had tried previously. Now I may need to go back and remove the ~50 pieces of felt scattered across the entire front of the sunroof!

Old 12-03-2015, 06:03 PM
contigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant futurecontigo has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by richie996
Ahhh! I am so thrilled.. I've been dealing with a creaky/creaking panoramic roof for a little over a year now.. Just didn't find the time to troubleshoot it until the other day..

I've read many threads saying it's possible the glass panels, dry seals, etc, although I know the sound of a "squeak" as compared to a "creak".. I would get an annoying creaking noise from the drivers side roof whenever the vehicle turned, hit a bump, etc.. Most of the time I didn't hear it because the radio was loud enough, but driving around with the kids (sleeping) amplified it even more..

The noise appear to always come from the front of the vehicle just above the headliner.. If you would pull on the plastic trim that goes across the vehicle you could replicate the noise.. I finally found the "sweet spot" to silence it.. It was on the left (driver's side) where the plastic piece rubbed against the metal.. I pried the plastic piece up just enough to slip a small piece of felt under it.. Once I did that, the noises appear to be silenced!

Posting this for others who experienced the same... You will need to remove the plastic trim piece to get to it easier (pops out rather easily)..

With the trim piece re-installed:

-Richie
Did work thanks a million had been driving around with a diaper on the sunroof that I would put right before it would close to push it and it would work

Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 AM
lyrixg is on a distinguished road
ThankYou! This worked for me.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:43 PM
vetkiller is on a distinguished road
have to try this, I've been annoyed when the radio is off by this noise. Fingers crossed. Great post...

Old 02-17-2018, 08:18 AM
southboymarlon is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank u

Great great thread.. Simply and. Easy fix. Thank uuuuuuu. Thank u

Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 AM
ccus911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Fantastic! Silenced my sunroof as well! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Old 08-31-2018, 03:49 PM
ccus911 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, it worked for a few days then came back...replaced the felt..didn't last a day and came back....now I cannot get rid of it...Even used some Porsche felt! I had some extra sun roof felt from when I restored my 86 Carrera...still didn't work....any ideas?

Old 09-06-2018, 06:22 AM
Only thing I can think of is somehow grinding away some of the plastic that is rubbing.. Or perhaps the rubbing is coming from another area..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 09 Cayenne GTS Creaking Panoramic Roof - Silenced!