Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

2007 V8 Vantage Trunk lid latch replacement/adjustment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 04:47 PM
anasu98 is an unknown quantity at this point
2007 V8 Vantage Trunk lid latch replacement/adjustment

Hi all,
I had an issue with my trunk lid that it doesn't close by normal closing action, I had to force it down several times in order to close. It bounced up or stayed down but not closed.
Lots of people here told me to lubricate the latch which I did a few days ago.
It seems like working for a few days and no longer work anymore. Same problem.
Rich from Redpants told me to adjust the latch first(release bolts and back), but I do not know where to start.
I can try to pull out the material around the latch but I would like to know how to do it properly first in my head. I just purchased the car a few months ago. Never done DIY before but I am learning now.

Has anybody ever replace/adjust the latch before?
It would be a great help if someone can tell me how to DIY in detail. Thanks a lot~!! Looking forward~!

Old 02-11-2019, 07:19 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
You don't necessarily adjust the latch, as it's fixed in position. You need to adjust the "striker" at the base of the trunk. Loop of metal that the latch "strikes". Loosen the 2 mounting screws on either side a turn or two. Then lift the striker upward until it stops. Tighten the 2 screws. Check the closure. If it closes easy and there are big gaps, keep adjusting downward until you find the comprise of easy to close and body line of hatch level with the rear sides.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
You don't necessarily adjust the latch, as it's fixed in position. You need to adjust the "striker" at the base of the trunk. Loop of metal that the latch "strikes". Loosen the 2 mounting screws on either side a turn or two. Then lift the striker upward until it stops. Tighten the 2 screws. Check the closure. If it closes easy and there are big gaps, keep adjusting downward until you find the comprise of easy to close and body line of hatch level with the rear sides.
Thank you very much for your help.
I pulled up the striker all the way to top position and maybe 1mm lowered from top position and lid levels great to the uni-side and trunk lid closes properly now!!
I was a lot easier than I thought after your detailed information. Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:23 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
If you have bad hatch struts the slamming helps change the adjustment. Recommend new struts if they are weak.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by J doubleU
If you have bad hatch struts the slamming helps change the adjustment. Recommend new struts if they are weak.
Recently I have replaced the struts so they are fine now.
Need to adjust tail lamps mount position now since they dont really match the trunk lid. This car is a never-ending project. I am enjoying as long as there are solutions and people who have solutions and want to share like you.
Thank you for your help~!!