Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Dead Vanatge...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:29 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
Dead Vanatge...

a friend of mine was telling at lunch today that his 2019 Vantage with maybe 300 miles will not start. He was driving it when he noticed the temp was high and the overheating light came on. Well he got home and it will not start. The dealer picked it up but they have no idea what is wrong. The dealer has been dealing with AM to try to figure out the problem. Anyone heard of this, just wonderingly?

Old 02-13-2019, 09:46 PM
programmatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond reputeprogrammatore has a reputation beyond repute
Haven't heard of any issues. AM Washington, DC has sold quite a few cars with no issues reported. I have about 1,200 trouble free miles on mine (delivered end of November 2018).

I hope they figure out what's wrong with your friend's New Vantage and get it sorted soon.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:35 PM
captain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to beholdcaptain Greg is a splendid one to behold
Mabye they should consult with a local Mercedes dealer for assistance?
if all the electronics are merc/Bosch or whatever I'm sure they will fix it fast, hard to believe that it could not be diagnosed within minutes.
in my opinion it will be an isolated case ....look fwd to hearing what the gremlin was

Old 03-22-2019, 09:06 PM
Argus will become famous soon enough
Talked my friend with the new Vantage that died. It turns out it was the electric water pumps. That is all he said in a text. Interesting.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:27 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Argus
Talked my friend with the new Vantage that died. It turns out it was the electric water pumps. That is all he said in a text. Interesting.
“Electric water pump” ? We now have electric power steering. What’s next? Electric oil pumps, electric A/C compressors, electric solenoids operating the valves. Components that were literally fail proof now become prone to failure.
Chasing the ever moving MPG ?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:11 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I had electric water pump failure in a BMW. It was almost instant overheating. 30 seconds from normal to yellow to red... it was simple to diagnose and fix but car had to be towed

Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I suppose everything that can be electric instead of engine driven will increase gas mileage and efficiency. Superchargers will be showing up soon electrically driven. We had a Weiand 6-71 Blower (supercharger) on a Chevy powered 928, and it was impossible to move the main pulley by hand, so you can imagine that it took power away from the engine at very low RPM, however, compensates by adding about 50% power at most operating speeds (still robbing some power). An electrically driven supercharger would make more sense. I believe an SLK32 I used to own had a solenoid activated pulley on it's supercharger to activate it when needed, thus not robbing at low speeds. Still, I'd much rather have my old school V12S than anything offered today that is 'modern'.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:05 AM
BMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant futureBMW-North has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MRCW
I had electric water pump failure in a BMW. It was almost instant overheating. 30 seconds from normal to yellow to red... it was simple to diagnose and fix but car had to be towed
Its the future for combustion engines unfortunately due to increasing demands for fuel efficiency. By using an ECU driven water pump the ECU has better control of coolant flow and energy usage. BMWs use characteristically controlled cooling maps. Basically these are operating zones where the engine will be cooled to a desired or anticipated need. For example If driving at a steady fast speed (highway) the engine will be heated to max to utilize max fuel efficiency from reduced friction, if accelerating aggressively and repeatedly the engine is cooled rapidly to produce more power. There are also few phases (different maps) in between. Each zone or phase uses map set points and target thresholds for key cooling components I.e water pump rpm, thermostat opening (it’s also controlled by the ECU via a wax heating element), electric fan speed rpm, velocity etc.

The biggest issue I’ve seen in the 13 years BMW has employed this approach is a lack of owner forewarning of impending water pump failure. The electric pumps can last 1 year or 12. They are not yet meeting the targeted op time (hours) consistently Unlike conventional belt driven pumps that have predictable MTBF and audible and visual signs (weeping) of failing, the electric pumps only have internal symptoms accessible via factory specific OBD. The water pumps perform continual self testing and record requested RPM vs Actual RPM. When the difference exceeds a threshold 3 times the engine ECU shuts down the electric pump and records this as a fault in the ECU. If the car is running at the time the engine reacts to an overheat and the needle and cluster warnings immediately shows an overheat but the ECU is also programmed to shut down the engine. The engine will not restart until the fault is cleared to prevent damage.

Savvy BMW enthusiasts check the DME regularly for water pump deviation errors which might imply a pending shutdown from DME diagnosed water pump failure.

New Aston vantage owners might be wise to get hold of a tool that can do a similar diagnosis.

Last edited by BMW-North; 03-23-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 AM
sonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud ofsonies has much to be proud of
an electric water pump?

sigh

Old 03-25-2019, 02:03 PM
Zettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of lightZettinger is a glorious beacon of light
Happens.. Electric water pumps are nothing new, BMW's had them since 2006 as far as I know.

I only hope your friend didn't drive to far with ignoring the heated up engine.
This could have blown the head gasket or even worse crack the head.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:19 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
My car is dead and currently at dealer. I lost the ability to start and every light on dash was on plus all errors from right screen. E diff error, steering error and on and on.

Mother ship from England is involved and Friday will be 2 weeks. Car has 300 miles. They have no idea what's wrong.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:32 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
That's awful...I had one of the first Mercedes ML 320s delivered in Florida and it had several new model year problems...MB to their credit, after as strongly worded letter lemon law-ed it out and have me a brand new one.

Start the clock and document very call, contact and email.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:51 PM
diononiz will become famous soon enough
Michael,

Is your car the same car that is referenced at the beginning of the thread?

Old 03-26-2019, 04:34 PM
Old phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the roughOld phart is a jewel in the rough
Sign of the times. Now need a good mechanic and electrical engineer. To be honest though you don't see as many cars on the side of the road broken down and 100k miles on a car isn't a death sentence.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MRCW
That's awful...I had one of the first Mercedes ML 320s delivered in Florida and it had several new model year problems...MB to their credit, after as strongly worded letter lemon law-ed it out and have me a brand new one.

Start the clock and document very call, contact and email.
Of course. Pretty easy so far. I dropped off and have the work order and lots of emails checking in and responses at least 3x per week. It's a lease so not that worried plus in a vantage loaner.

I'll report back and give status so maybe it can help others.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dead Vanatge...