Go Back  6SpeedOnline - Porsche Forum and Luxury Car Resource > British > Aston Martin
Reload this Page >

Disconnect Battery - Airbag removal

Notices
Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Old 02-17-2019, 12:31 PM
MRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of lightMRCW is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all to you gurus... Need to take out my steering wheel airbag... Looked at Rich's (Redpants.lol) video and its easy enough... Question about battery disconnect... Is is OK to disconnect (Neg cable) without any side effects such as redoing misfires, etc... or is it best to use battery disconnect switch, disconnect battery and use battery conditioner, etc.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2019, 01:21 PM
J doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the roughJ doubleU is a jewel in the rough
You need to disconnect the negative terminal for airbag removal, otherwise you will have codes that need cleared. And yes, you will need misfires relearned, windows seats, mirrors and clock if your pre 2011.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:42 PM
Graze will become famous soon enoughGraze will become famous soon enough
There is a simple trick to doing this to ensure you dont have codes to clear

disconnect battery, do wheel, airbag removal replace etc.

reconnect battery

turn ignition to position 1 - DO NOT TURN CAR ON!

leave in position 1 for at least 15 seconds so the car can run through simple diagnostics to confirm to itself that the battery is ok & all systems are "good"

turn off

remove key (maybe not 100% necessary)
re-insert key, turn to position 1, then turn on

should re start with no codes

I know this works on an 07 V8V - believe it works with later cars with Bosch ECU also
Graeme

Old 02-18-2019, 08:37 AM
handyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to beholdhandyman2009 is a splendid one to behold
if you disconnect your battery you will have to do a misfires relearned as J doubleU said, the rest of the stuff is hit and miss as I store my car for the winter and always disconnect my battery and in the spring it is always different what needs to be reset.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:15 PM
embdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to allembdenb is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Graze View Post
There is a simple trick to doing this to ensure you dont have codes to clear

disconnect battery, do wheel, airbag removal replace etc.

reconnect battery

turn ignition to position 1 - DO NOT TURN CAR ON!

leave in position 1 for at least 15 seconds so the car can run through simple diagnostics to confirm to itself that the battery is ok & all systems are "good"

turn off

remove key (maybe not 100% necessary)
re-insert key, turn to position 1, then turn on

should re start with no codes

I know this works on an 07 V8V - believe it works with later cars with Bosch ECU also
Graeme
if you have foldable mirrors on the 2007 the above will not help. You must pay a visit to the dealer.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 PM
Graze will become famous soon enoughGraze will become famous soon enough
Not true I'm afraid

my mirrors still work perfectly after the above procedure

Graeme