996 Turbo / GT2 Turbo discussion on previous model 2000-2005 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo and 911 GT2.

Long term storage: Disconnect battery?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:23 PM
laughing_guitar will become famous soon enoughlaughing_guitar will become famous soon enough
Long term storage: Disconnect battery?

I'm preparing to go on vacation for a month. Hence the TT will have to sit undriven for that long, and the weather is going to be frosty. I'm positive that if I leave the car like that, the battery will be dead when I get back. I'd prefer to hook it up to a battery tender. The challenge is that I don't have a private garage, but only a reserved spot in a secured garage.

So.

Can I safely take the battery out of the car and trickle charge it in my condo? Or do the electronics on this car not like to be disconnected?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM
Administrator
GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !GT3 Chuck Is a GOD !
just make sure that no one closes the hood completely or you will have a hard time getting it open to put the battery back in

Old 11-29-2011, 04:29 PM
laughing_guitar will become famous soon enoughlaughing_guitar will become famous soon enough
Oh that is a very good point! So there is no purely mechanical release to the hood that can be accessed? Slightly related, what about the door locks and window motor that unseals the window when opening the door?

Old 11-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Just came across this:

http://perryandcoblog.com/2009/11/17...hood-solution/

Not too bad.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:18 PM
powderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to beholdpowderjay is a splendid one to behold
I take mine out from December - March. Everything is fine when I put her back in with a full charge. No chance of battery implosion this way. Seems to me I remember a thread on here a while back about someone's battery exploding in storage. Ah, I did a search, and his battery blew up starting the car after removing his trickle charger.

Last edited by powderjay; 11-29-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:30 AM
gearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond reputegearhead has a reputation beyond repute
Stick it on your deck of your condo so the vapors can escape during the charger process. And get a smart charger like a ctek, they work awesome and never have to worry about over charging. I leave my bike charging for seven months at a time with no issues. And it's how I charged my battery for it when I lived in a condo.
If you do remove the battery and you close your hood fully you can easily open your door with the key and in the fuse box on the drivers side there is a spot you can attach the battery to with some jump cables to open your hood.
It's there incase your battery was to die on its own with the hood closed.
As far as the windows not doing the slight up and down thing when you open the doors, just becareful when you close it to make sure the window is under the seal before you fully close it. Not a big deal.
Have fun on vacation.

Last edited by gearhead; 11-30-2011 at 01:36 AM.