Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Retrofitting SAT NAV on DB9

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 09:39 PM
terencecylau is an unknown quantity at this point
Retrofitting SAT NAV on DB9

I am currently having a 2005 DB9, which sadly doesn't come with a SAT NAV. Even though I have heard so many negative comments on the SAT NAV, I still hoping to retrofit one to the DB9, so that I can also install a phone mirroring to the screen and can maximize the utilization of the screen. Does anyone has actually try to retrofit the SAT NAV before or done something similar? May I have advice on what components is required for installing the SAT NAV and makes it works. So far, I have got a second hand screen, SAT NAV DVD player and the controlling ****. I have had them all plugged in, but the screen just doesn't rise up and I can hear that the DVD player is playing. Is there anything else that is required for making the system works, e.g. hardware and/or software maybe?

Old 03-05-2019, 04:44 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I've never understood the reason to mirror your smartphone to a screen that you cannot touch or use.

I have nav in my vantage but have never used it. Instead I use a smartphone with a simple mount easily usable if needed and have a rear view mirror monitor for front and rear view camera feeds...

seems like an enormous expense and work for old outdated technology.

good luck!

Last edited by MRCW; 03-07-2019 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:58 PM
randyb will become famous soon enoughrandyb will become famous soon enough
DON'T!!!!
It is an obsolete system and a BIG PITA to use.
What you need, new entertainment main wiring harness for Nav, Nav module, Nav specific fiber optics cable, dash harness with Nav connector, Nav amp, plus things I am missing. Entertainment module would need to be reprogrammed to look for Nav module. New ski slop and display.
You would be in $5-7,000 and this might be on the low side.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:24 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
This is your opportunity to install an aftermarket unit that will wireless connect to Apple CarPlay (or the Android equivalent.)

There are a number of manifactures on the market. Instead if the rotating factory screen, install the screen permanently at a slight angle.
Thats what I would do

Old 04-26-2019, 09:54 AM
rajiggyfizzle is an unknown quantity at this point
@embdenb Do you have any examples of units that might work with a 2012 Rapide?? My screen has just conked out and I am in no mood to pay the $1600 to replace it!

Old 04-27-2019, 06:38 AM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rajiggyfizzle
@embdenb Do you have any examples of units that might work with a 2012 Rapide?? My screen has just conked out and I am in no mood to pay the $1600 to replace it!
I was thinking of a new self contained navigation unit in place of the existing.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:18 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rajiggyfizzle
2012 is a Garmin system, are you guessing that it's the screen at fault? Usually a connection or component that fails.

Old 04-30-2019, 02:47 PM
sdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to beholdsdekoning is a splendid one to behold
I ditched the OEM screen in all (480 pixels is sooo 2000's) and retrofitted a Garmin HD navi unit. See more of it here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4709719