Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Thoughts please on a particular color combination?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 07:04 AM
Matt Lane is an unknown quantity at this point
Thoughts please on a particular color combination?

Hi everyone, I know this is subjective (and maybe polarizing), but looking to get collective opinions here.

I am looking for a nice Vantage GT, and as you know, they were offered in limited exterior colors, with or without contrasting graphics. These include a painted 'lipstick', pillars, mirror caps and rear diffuser. I fall in the camp of liking the painted accents over all, with the possible exception of the Mariana Blue/Red option. My initial impression of the Blue/Red was not positive when the GT car pallet was announced.

Then I went to see a local car and left with a more positive feeling than when I arrived. I'd say I made it to 'neutral'. Besides the color 'clash', I have no idea how a dark blue metallic will be to keep looking clean and free of swirls?

Soooo, the million dollar question, what do you think? Even though it's only the owner that needs to like it, I fear this may be a color combination that's really hard to sell when the time comes down the road. I just have that feeling based on the number of cars that I have seen in Canada with that color mix. They seem to sit, maybe it's a regional thing, who knows.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Matt

Old 03-05-2019, 07:40 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Any pictures of the car? The local dealer had one a few years ago and it was pretty sharp. A couple of the wheel choices on the GT weren't so good and I think that lead some GT's to languish on the showroom floor. The local dealer had a blue and a white GT with the contrasting sections and the blue one sold first FWIW. The white/red one sat forever and they ended up wrapping the red accents in dull black to finally sell the car.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:21 AM
Here are a few pics below to get an idea.

Funny, you mention the white/red - I actually like that combination quite a bit, probably a second choice after the traditional 'racing' Alloro Green/Yellow. It just shows how subjective this is!

Frankly, I could get used to any color for the right car - my concern is actually getting stuck with something that can't be moved if I want to sell. I tend to keep my cars, but still need to be realistic. I am sure a dealer (who wasn't actually selling a GT) would be best equipped to share thoughts on this - only they know the true market reaction to some of these more unusual options...

Cheers

Matt

Old 03-05-2019, 08:34 AM
pearsonhaus will become famous soon enough
Like you said, it is subjective. Most importantly, as you know, you need to be pleased. Actually, I like the car and who knows in time they may hold their value better than you would now estimate. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:18 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
That looks exactly like the one they had. Does it have the rear valance painted? Those are the cool wheel pattern for the GT.

Alloro green was the best one IMO.

Old 03-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Yes, the rear diffuser is painted red - hard to make out in the small pic. It's the lower section only, not the full vertical piece which is dark composite (or CF on the S model) from what I understand.

I love the Alloro green...

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM
XJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond reputeXJRS Owner has a reputation beyond repute
The blue is a nice shade, but the red (at least that particular shade) is not a good contrast with the blue. That's probably the only GT color scheme I wouldn't consider buying. But there are always those few buyers who want something unusual, and that'd be your market, but you'd have to be patient when selling. I paid premiums for my DBS and Vanquish because I was only interested in green, and there were so few sold that it was a seller's market...but the sellers just had to be patient waiting for me to come along.

Old 03-05-2019, 03:27 PM
embdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to beholdembdenb is a splendid one to behold
If the price is right I would buy the car and change the red accents to yellow.

Old 03-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I own a 2016 GT, I have owned it since 2016. I have seen one of these GT’s in this color combo in person a few weeks ago.
it was very nice looking. The other question is what options does the car have? This one looks like a 2016 to me, so it has the updated waterfall controls and wheels. If you like the car, options, color combo, Trans,sport shift of manual. And the condition, price. Then purchase it. These are the last of the Vantage line (except for a few GTS’s) and will be worth what you get out of them. I would rather purchase what I like, and enjoy it. Than worry about how easy it is to sell down the line.
the darker color will be harder to keep clean. When I ordered my 2011 Lotus Evora new, I had to argue with the dealer.
I wanted a 2+0, and he only wanted to order a 2+2, Incase I dropped out of the purchase, and it would be easier for him to sell. I stood my ground and ordered a 2+0 and enjoyed it for over 5 years and it only took me a month to sell it in the end.
Ron

Old 03-06-2019, 01:49 PM
Vantagelvr will become famous soon enoughVantagelvr will become famous soon enough
The red is wrong , loose all the red change the calipers to yellow and its a nice car .

Old 03-06-2019, 03:54 PM
Lots of ideas here - appreciate it - keep 'em coming!

Cheers

Matt

Old 03-06-2019, 04:14 PM
Ozzir is on a distinguished road
I saw one of these at the dealer a few years ago. For me personally I would not own it and if you are looking for resale in a few years I would think it will make it a harder sell. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-06-2019, 08:59 PM
If it's not love at 2nd site move on. Very big and emotional purchase. My local dealer just put on offer this '14 S manual 10k miles for 84.5K.

Old 03-06-2019, 09:44 PM
RandyV will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by brightoncorgi
If it's not love at 2nd site move on.
I have to agree with this statement. I chased a 2016 Marianna Blue GT with red lipstick for a couple of years. I finally caught up with it in Florida and it was stunning in person. But after driving the blue GT I went and saw the Yellow Tang GTS that now sits in my garage. As brightoncorgi says - the YT was love at first and second sight and I never looked back.