Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 modifications- feedback?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Liilpa09 is on a distinguished road
V12 modifications- feedback?

My DBS Volante is slotted to go under the knife Monday for a number of modifications and routine maintenance items.

Of the modifications, I’m having second thoughts on installing the VAP power pack (headers, high flow secondary cats, tune) and lowering springs.

The car currently has a Quicksilver Supersport back box and is pretty loud at this point. I’m concerned the headers and high flow cats will make the car uncomfortable to drive at cruising speed? Not sure if it will drone which my main concern. I’m fine with the volume increasing under throttle, but just driving at regular speeds on the highway for prolonged periods of time is concerning. Does anyone have this setup who can personally comment on any V12 model?

As for the lowering springs, I’m concerned with speed bumps and steep driveways. I’m sticking with factory wheel and tire setup just adding spacers. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I’m most likely going to have it all installed, if I need to revert back to factory the only big job is the headers. Just wanted to get some feedback from those who may have experience; thanks!

Old 03-19-2019, 03:37 PM
supraholic will become famous soon enoughsupraholic will become famous soon enough
I can’t speak to the header mods but regarding the VAP springs, I love mine. They lower my V12 Vantage about 3/4” and no scraping issues yet. The ride is better than stock and the look is perfect, imho. I also installed Scrape Armor under the front carbon lip for added protection and insurance.

Hope this helps!
-Dan

Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 AM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Liilpa09
My DBS Volante is slotted to go under the knife Monday for a number of modifications and routine maintenance items.

Of the modifications, I’m having second thoughts on installing the VAP power pack (headers, high flow secondary cats, tune) and lowering springs.

The car currently has a Quicksilver Supersport back box and is pretty loud at this point. I’m concerned the headers and high flow cats will make the car uncomfortable to drive at cruising speed? Not sure if it will drone which my main concern. I’m fine with the volume increasing under throttle, but just driving at regular speeds on the highway for prolonged periods of time is concerning. Does anyone have this setup who can personally comment on any V12 model?

As for the lowering springs, I’m concerned with speed bumps and steep driveways. I’m sticking with factory wheel and tire setup just adding spacers. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

I’m most likely going to have it all installed, if I need to revert back to factory the only big job is the headers. Just wanted to get some feedback from those who may have experience; thanks!

DB9 changes---VAP lowering springs (.75in or so never had ONE issue with them, best mod other than tune); Decat pipes VAP; Tune VAP; VAP Supersport exhaust; and de-boxed the air filters

The Tune was immediately noticeable with a large change in throttle response and immediate power. (Six speed manual) The decats loudened up things nicely but it wasn't till I put the Supersport box in did I really really love it. It now has the sound of an exotic. Noise level----quite loud under load and high throttle input. Pretty good at 75mph. Quite enough for a 500 mile drive with music. No drone at all. De-boxed air filters----kinda wow. Really noticeable under throttle. Very much had a change in sound up front. You can hear them suck air ALOT.

Headers you would need to speak with Stuart about. No clue, happy with mine for now. But I would suggest at least all of the above that I have done. you will love it

Old 03-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Basic Sponsor
Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !Stuart@VelocityAP Is a GOD !
My 2 cents would be - if you find the power pack with the QS Supersport back box too loud, it would be pretty easy to pick up an OEM back box off Ebay and probably sell your Quicksilver for more than the OEM cost. Or probably even find another owner who would swap with you!

206 Maple Avenue
Oliver, BC
Canada V2A 4W6
Office: (1)250-485-5126
www.velocityap.com
Old 03-21-2019, 07:35 PM
DonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the roughDonBond is a jewel in the rough
I think you're asking for trouble. Want more performance? Buy a DBS.........

Old 03-22-2019, 09:21 AM
Phil57DBS is an unknown quantity at this point

Beloved DBS with de-boxed sport air filter (-4kg) , X-pipes Fabspeed (fantastic pitched sound)(-2kgs), second hand Vanquish 2 valved backbox - see picture (-11kgs), VAP tune (+30bhp) and VAP springs (-1kg)...
VAP tune too for valved backbox = totally quiet from 0 to 7000rpm in Normal mode...and totally open in Sport mode ! you choose...

All is right...

Last edited by Phil57DBS; 03-22-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:10 AM
Liilpa09 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for everyone's feedback! Greatly appreciated. Just dropped off the car today at Steel Wings (the shop was incredible by the way! Will report back about the shop once I get car back).

I'm going to install everything, can always change it if needed. Here's the list of non-maintenance work getting done:
VAP Tune
VAP Headers
VAP Secondary Cats
VAP Lowering Springs
Front & Rear spacers
Redpants airbox deletes & filters
Pagid brake pads
Scrape armor for front splitters
Light smoked front and rear sidemarkers, dark smoked rear reflectors
LED license plate, high beam, turn signal bulbs

Looking forward to getting the car back with a full review and pictures/vids to follow.