Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

V12 Vantage Feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 07:07 PM
nyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the roughnyc123 is a jewel in the rough
V12 Vantage Feedback

I am considering a V12 Vantage and curious if there is anything owners dont like about these cars. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
I've thought about it, and so far all I can come up with is: (i) the crappy Volvo sat nav (which has now been replaced by Aston with a Garmin unit) and (ii) the annoying messages that pop up and knock out the speedometer readout. Of the two problems, the second really annoys me and I'm going to rant a bit. Some messages require you to push a button on the turn signal stalk to cancel them, after which you have to cycle through all the display options until you finally reach the only one you really want (i.e., speedometer read out). Other messages require you to press the "read" button on the center console to cancel them. And the car warns you so often about remaining fuel. It tells you at 40 miles left, 30 miles left, 25 miles left, etc., etc., and you have to clear the message each time to be able to see how fast you are going, sometimes using the turn signal stalk and other times using the "read" button. Who's idea was that? It's enough to make me fill up early just to avoid the interruptions. And god forbid if you are low on windshield washer fluid. The car will tell you over and over and over, again knocking out the speedo each time!

As you can see, however, I'm really nit picking here. In short, I think it's a fantastic car and it never ceases to put a smile on my face.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
The car is fantastic. It has tremendous finish and a ton of power and torque. It handles well and feels good at even low or moderate speeds. The cabin is comfortable and there is actually a reasonable amount of space in the boot for week ends and golf clubs. It's a head turner and most people won't resent you for driving it. The tires are very sticky when they're warm. In cold weather, they're a bit firm and you won't have great traction. If your in a warmer climate (CA, FL AZ etc.) it won't matter. Traction is the only real problem with the car. It has a small wheel base and a gigantic, powerful engine in the front. There are times that the front feels like it is going to pop up off the ground. It's a bit old school that way but I must say it's kind of a rush. I'm always bummed when I put the car back in the garage and shut it off. It's that cool.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:14 AM
Racer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud ofRacer_X has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaymoney
Traction is the only real problem with the car. It has a small wheel base and a gigantic, powerful engine in the front. There are times that the front feels like it is going to pop up off the ground.
And these are problems Jay?

One thing I failed to mention in my criticisms is that they apply to all Vantages, and I presume all Aston Martins, not just the V12V. Another issue that I'd fix if I owned AM is the key fob's ability to lock and unlock the car. You need to be within about 10-15 feet of the car to lock/unlock the car using the key fob (my BMW's range is more like 50 feet+). Also, I find it difficult to open the trunk with the key fob. It seems like you need to have the fob up in the air so the button presses will register, and you need to time the duration of the two button presses and the pause between presses perfectly for the trunk to open. I've about given up on opening the trunk with the key fob and now just press the trunk release button after I unlock the car. Again, these are minor issues and I believe are common to all AMs (my V8V was the same).

Old 10-11-2011, 06:42 AM
karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !karlfranz Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Racer_X
I've thought about it, and so far all I can come up with is: (i) the crappy Volvo sat nav (which has now been replaced by Aston with a Garmin unit) and (ii) the annoying messages that pop up and knock out the speedometer readout. Of the two problems, the second really annoys me and I'm going to rant a bit. Some messages require you to push a button on the turn signal stalk to cancel them, after which you have to cycle through all the display options until you finally reach the only one you really want (i.e., speedometer read out). Other messages require you to press the "read" button on the center console to cancel them. And the car warns you so often about remaining fuel. It tells you at 40 miles left, 30 miles left, 25 miles left, etc., etc., and you have to clear the message each time to be able to see how fast you are going, sometimes using the turn signal stalk and other times using the "read" button. Who's idea was that? It's enough to make me fill up early just to avoid the interruptions. And god forbid if you are low on windshield washer fluid. The car will tell you over and over and over, again knocking out the speedo each time!

As you can see, however, I'm really nit picking here. In short, I think it's a fantastic car and it never ceases to put a smile on my face.
Yeah, why on earth they chose to knockout the speedo instead of the trip odometer is beyond comprehension. I mean, which would you rather have displayed all the time?

Also, not having a smart key and having to actually use the physical key to start the car seems a bit low tech for a car of this caliber.

Last edited by karlfranz; 10-11-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by karlfranz
Also, not having a smart key and having to actually use the physical key to start the car seems a bit low tech for a car of this caliber.
True. A lot about these cars is low tech. I suppose the main reason for this is AM's limited resources.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:23 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
"I'm always bummed when I put the car back in the garage and shut it off. It's that cool."

Funny as thats exactly how I feel that way about my V8 Vantage.

Old 10-14-2011, 03:31 PM
jaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to beholdjaymoney is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by AXARUNNER
"I'm always bummed when I put the car back in the garage and shut it off. It's that cool."

Funny as thats exactly how I feel that way about my V8 Vantage.
You know, now that you mention it, I felt the same way when I had my V8V as well.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:24 AM
BLAM is on a distinguished road
Yall guys are dead on! Here are my additional complaints:

1. The leather on mine is very thin.
2. Few mods available and very expensive.
3. Not the best quality paint.
4. Could use some more interior storage.
5. Cup holder only fits a sippy cup.
6. Not as awesome as my brother's new ride, Lamborghini Murcielago.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by BLAM
Yall guys are dead on! Here are my additional complaints:

1. The leather on mine is very thin.
2. Few mods available and very expensive.
3. Not the best quality paint.
4. Could use some more interior storage.
5. Cup holder only fits a sippy cup.
6. Not as awesome as my brother's new ride, Lamborghini Murcielago.
I don't want to seem defensive, but, the paint quality on mine is excellent, I get compliments about the paint all the time. the interior including the leather is comparable with any euro exotic and even some of the British luxury cars. The interior storage is really nonexistent like many other exotics. It does however have a generous boot. I have had 2 sets of golf clubs in mine. The cup holders are a joke. I will give you that. They are unusable. Oh by the way, I have a felling that your brother paid a little more for his car.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
KidRacer is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't trade my V12V for a Lambo ever. Yes, they are nice cars and yes they are faster, but ask anyone and they will tell you that AM exudes class and sophistication.

Lambo exudes arrogance and flashiness.

I agree with the trunk issue. Always pressing the button twice. Aside from that, i have been enjoying this car more than any other purchase i've ever made.

Let me just close by saying that i get more looks of amazement in this car than all the times I can remember being in my friends/families cars (ferrari, lambo, bentley gtc and audi r8). It's the sexiest piece of metal and carbon fiber on 4 wheels.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:42 AM
rynacd is on a distinguished road
I don't want to seem defensive, but, the paint quality on mine is excellent, I get compliments about the paint all the time. the interior including the leather is comparable with any euro exotic and even some of the British luxury cars.
I agree i get compliments on my paint all the time. AM's are known to have excellent paint. I will agree with BLAM the leather seats are thin. They scratch very easily.

I wouldn't trade my V12V for a Lambo ever. Yes, they are nice cars and yes they are faster, but ask anyone and they will tell you that AM exudes class and sophistication.
Agreed 100%. i wouldn't trade my V8V for a Lambo. i never even considered a Lambo before my purchase.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 PM
CPB
CPB will become famous soon enough
So what are your thoughts on trading an R8 5.2 for a V12 Vantage?

A good move? Lateral move? Step up or down?

Old 10-28-2011, 06:39 PM
AXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to beholdAXARUNNER is a splendid one to behold
I'm in an envious position to answer this question as I have owned the R8 4.2 and I currently own the Aston Martin V8 Vantage. If i were faced with that option I'd choose the V12 Vantage. The car is less clinical, has more soul and passion, looks much better in more conservative clothes. The V12 has much more utility with a trunk that fits real luggage and 2 sets of golf clubs. We are at an end to an era and the V12 Vantage (as told by Jeremy Clarkson in that memorable video) the V12 is the car to own as it a true classic. Sometimes its not all about performance (as my R8 was faster than my V8 V) but there are the intangibles that make owning an Aston much more satisfying than owning an Audi R8. Presently I'm waiting for the price to drop on the V-12's to a level that I can live with. Hope that helps... Cheers & good luck.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:18 PM
Vergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura aboutVergis has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Racer_X
True. A lot about these cars is low tech. I suppose the main reason for this is AM's limited resources.
The car was designed around the 2003-2005 time where a vast majority of 'high calibre' cars had what we today consider low tech. In 6 years time we will consider emotional control units quaint (not least due to their names) and may have keyless/fingerprint entry and voice commands to start the car. Who knows.

You could consider the handbrake low tech. But its part of the heritage of the car. Almost its DNA coming thru in future generations. If that is not using an analagy too far

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: V12 Vantage Feedback