Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Considering buying a 2010 Vantage. A few questions and thoughts.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:10 PM
Ozzir is on a distinguished road
Considering buying a 2010 Vantage. A few questions and thoughts.

So a good friend of mine bought this 2010 Vantage brand new. It only has 16000 kms ( 10,000 miles ) on it and it is like new. It literally could be put on the showroom floor and call it new. I have the car at my house as he has left it with me for a few weeks so I can take it out for a few drives and make sure I like it. Here are a few thoughts. It needs an exhaust. Damn this thing is quiet. I pulled fuse 22.. Makes it a little better at lower rpms but still not loud enough for me. How do they sound with cat deletes and leaving the stock muffler so you can still have the valve functional to keep it quiet if need be? It's a 6 sp manual and I had heard about the heavy clutch but honestly I never noticed. I don't mine the clutch at all. I knew not to expect it to be quick with only 420 hp but it could really use another 100 hp. LOL.. Just doesn't have a lot of get up and go but its so nice to drive and such a classy car. I have a few other toys inc a Gallardo which has full exhaust so I am coming from about 540 hp down. Before the G I had hopped up Vipers and the last one had close to 700 hp so I seem to be going down in HP in my old age. The car also has that annoying engine ticking at idle that sounds terrible from such an expensive car. He had it at the Aston dealer a few times and they assured him it was normal and while he was there they fired up a few other identical cars and they all had that same ticking. What the hell is that anyway? I am trying to decide if I should buy this car and sell one of my other toys or just buy it and add to the collection. It would be so much more comfortable on a trip than the Gallardo which is horrible for anything more than 2 hours plus it would actually have enough room to store some luggage but then it just doesn't have the presence of the Lambo and I really enjoy driving that too.
One more question. There is what looks to be a grease nipple underneath beside the transmission. I could not find anything about this nipple in any service manuals or in the owners manual? What is it for? I didn't want to try to add grease if that's not what its meant for?

Thanks guys.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:43 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Velocity AP is the IMHO best source for aftermarket parts for the Aston. There are countless videos on here showing where people just put 200 cell cats on their Vantage and it makes a sound diff. I probably would put 200 Cell cats, and then the mid level exhaust on it. Bearable on a trip, but loud when you want it to be.

Definitely get a tune from Velocity, it will wake the car up immensely. Along with the exhaust work, you could then have a quicker and more responsive car.

A Clutch replacement from Velocity AP takes a LOT of weight off the flywheel which in turn really really makes it more responsive.

Do the above and you will have a quick car, but not blistering fast like the G. Different world of car. Lambos and F cars are flashy along with McLarens. Astons are subtle be still highly recognized.

Add it to the collection first, then decide if you want to sell one of the others.

Old 06-07-2019, 04:33 AM
handyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond reputehandyman2009 has a reputation beyond repute
In 2010 they changed the exhaust system so if it is a 2010 then it is like all other before it but if it is a 2010.5 then you have cats in the headers (200 cells) and 400 cells after. I have a 2009 and went with Velocity AP 200 Cells cats and left the original exhaust in place but have the exhaust valves open all the time and it is loud enough for me.

Old 06-07-2019, 05:48 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a V12 Vantage may be more what you are looking for.

Old 06-07-2019, 07:40 AM
Thanks guys. Would love to see a video or hear a sound clip of the stock exhaust with the cats removed so I could get an idea of what it will sound like. If anybody has one please post a link to it.
Also. Do your cars make the ticking sound at idle as well? I'm not interested in a V12 car as I love the V8 sound and this car in particular as I've known the car since new and know how its been babied which is important to me.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:38 AM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
I have straight pipes (muffler delete) on my 2009 and sound is glorious... it's a coupe, not roadster. No drone noise

Old 06-07-2019, 10:24 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
There is what looks to be a grease nipple underneath beside the transmission. I could not find anything about this nipple in any service manuals or in the owners manual? What is it for? I didn't want to try to add grease if that's not what its meant for?

Do you have a picture? There is a bleeder for the clutch slave on the front of the torque tube, is that what your seeing?

Old 06-07-2019, 11:23 AM

Here is a pic of what Im talking about. Looks like a grease nipple just to left of the exhaust flange. Im guessing now that thats a bleeder.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:43 AM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had a 2007 Vantage that sounded fantastic - in 2009 when they went to the 4.7 V8, the exhaust was quiet on the standard vantage with the 'sports exhaust' an option, and standard on the 'S'. Pulling the fuse will make no real difference. Switch the exhaust is the only real option, sometimes they show up used. The ticking noise is a standard feature - no extra cost! All my V8's did that. The 2007 Vantage I had clutch was very heavy, a real pain in Minneapolis traffic. Since then I've just had Sportshifts, but I understand the clutch got a whole lot easier after 2009. These cars are extremely reliable and look great - I had a 2007, a 2009, and a 2015 V8 Vantage. Depending upon asking price, with 2015 lease returns, there is something like 50+ V12 Vantages on the market - mostly 2015's which many (most?) are certified and prices are extremely low. It's a ton of car for the money and when these are sold and the inventory dries up might actually be a good place to spend the $$$ if the 2010 is going at a premium price.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:04 PM
Hedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the roughHedged is a jewel in the rough
Some degree of ticking is common and may come and go. Older DB V12s can suffer from a fatal "tick" resulting in a ruined engine. Engine replacement due to ticking is not unheard of in later model 4.7s either, although AFAIK not related to the V12 design issue. Maybe post a video clip? If the dealer is unconcerned I would check into a warranty which, while ridiculously expensive, should let you sleep better. In any case, low mileage Astons are not uncommon and I would shop with the utmost discretion. They are fantastic cars but can be randomly painful.

Old 06-07-2019, 12:50 PM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ozzir

Here is a pic of what Im talking about. Looks like a grease nipple just to left of the exhaust flange. Im guessing now that thats a bleeder.
Yes, that's your bleeding point for the clutch slave. Confused me with by the transmission, seeing how that's in the back.

Old 06-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Now I just have to decide if I am going to buy it. I have 4 other cars in the toy box already plus our daily drivers so its starting to get a little crammed in there but I hate passing up on good deals..LOL. The problem is finding time to drive them and enjoy them. Damn kids.... haha.

Old 06-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Hybrid will become famous soon enoughHybrid will become famous soon enough
The Sheriff is right, the Velocity PowerPack (headers, 200 cell cats, air filters and tune) really helps the 4.7 liter Vantage.
I had mine at Laguna Seca on Monday, passing lots of McLarens, Lamborghinis and Astons.
The PowerPack is a little too loud for me, so I had the tuner keep my muffler closed all the time, but you can ask to have yours open all the time.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:47 PM
Ron Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to beholdRon Avery is a splendid one to behold
I owned a 2007 4.3 that had a heavy clutch peddle. My 2016 4.7 Vantage GT has a much lighter clutch peddle.
like others have said Velocity make some great performances parts.
Ron

Old 06-08-2019, 11:31 AM
deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !deckman Is a GOD !
I have a 13 and did the VAP secondary cats delete and x-pipe midsection. I'd also bought the Aston sport exhaust but decided I like the sound as is now. I have the sport exhaust listed in the for sale section if interested

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Considering buying a 2010 Vantage. A few questions and thoughts.