Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Alcantara - what am I missing?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:45 PM
3rdpedalrequired is an unknown quantity at this point
Alcantara - what am I missing?

As V12 prices come down, I find myself closer to buying one over the V8 but many of them come with Alcantara steering wheel and/or seats. Personally, I don't like the look and feel of Alcantara. I know it's a matter of preference but since so many exotics tend to have it, I figured I'd poll the experts here. Is there something uniquely luxurious about Alcantara? What am I missing? Is it easier to maintain??? Thanks!

Old 06-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Lennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond reputeLennon31987 has a reputation beyond repute
Not easier to maintain at all, you have to use water and rag to clean versus leather cleaner

really its for racing, if you were actually racing you would likely have alcantara gloves, alcantara on alcantara provides really really great grip. but for the street whatever, you'll be washing your hands everytime before you touch that wheel. Oil on hands, your wedding ring, etc will destroy alcantara much much quicker than leather.

but man it looks good!!! when clean

Old 06-13-2019, 01:37 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 3rdpedalrequired
As V12 prices come down, I find myself closer to buying one over the V8 but many of them come with Alcantara steering wheel and/or seats. Personally, I don't like the look and feel of Alcantara. I know it's a matter of preference but since so many exotics tend to have it, I figured I'd poll the experts here. Is there something uniquely luxurious about Alcantara? What am I missing? Is it easier to maintain??? Thanks!

Many owners on here have changed out the steering wheel covering with a mixture of leather and alcantara or just leather. Mine is a mix and I have absolutely no issue in keeping clean.

AMMO **** is the best product to use on alcantara. Larry has a video showing exactly how to clean it and pull the fibers back up.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:57 PM
3rdpedalrequired is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Thanks! One of the many reasons I enjoy this forum.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Prefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud ofPrefurbia has much to be proud of
I had both - my current V12S has leather - thankfully. Did not like the feel at all of alcantara, or the look - my 2015 V8GT had alcantara on the seats - did not like that either, but used sometimes if the deal is right it's not a deal killer. My current car only has it on the headliner.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:35 PM
SheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to allSheriffDep is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 3rdpedalrequired
Thanks! One of the many reasons I enjoy this forum.

Let me be a bit clearer-----There are numerous products that work to clean Alcantara (suede) but I have found AMMO **** to be the best. Don't spray anything directly onto the fibers. Spray onto a MF towel and lightly rub the material back and forth with light pressure. Changing areas on the towel as it picks up the dirt. If that is not enough, use a small horsehair brush, apply the **** into the brush and lightly agitate the area then blot up with a MF towel. You can use a scrub pad also if its really bad. But again only use light touch. The touch doesn't change, just the item you are using.

Then take a crevice vac tool (sand down the edges so there are no sharp edges on it) and use it to pull the fibers back up.

For alcantara that has just been through the ringer that most likely needs replacing, you can do the above and if it doesnt work, then do the above with more pressure. Your not going to hurt it and if you do your likely were going to replace anyway. You may just be able to get it good enough to not replace at least for the time being.

Astons are not bad with the usage of it. Lambos previously had most or all of the interior done in the material. But, door window sill areas, elbow pad areas, center consoles, and steering wheels took the brunt of the grime. Easy enough to replace if needed.

My roof is all Alcantara diamond stitched but since i have 2 cow hides for spares i am thinking of redoing the headliner in the way the new cars are done.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:19 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Lotus and Porsche can get Alcantara crazy. If you wear a racing suit, the Alcantara is like Velcro to it and it weights less than leather.

Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 AM
HenryM is on a distinguished road
My V12 Vantage has alcantara seat inserts. I thought I’d rather have leather when I was considering purchasing the car. However, it is great in the summer because it doesn’t get hot like leather and seems to be more breathable.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:17 AM
TR-Spider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by HenryM
However, it is great in the summer because it doesn’t get hot like leather and seems to be more breathable.
This.
Everything else is personal preference.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 AM
choron is an unknown quantity at this point
Its tough to maintain!

Old 06-17-2019, 11:36 PM
Originally Posted by choron
Its tough to maintain!
I humbly disagree, can you please elaborate and I will try and help you as much as possible to make life easier for you. What i explained up above should take care of most alcantara pieces for months if not years. I have only cleaned mine 2 times in 3 years. I do not have the seats done. If so then would likely do it like leather cleaning or conditioning every few months. But please let me know what the issues are.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:13 AM
61mga will become famous soon enough
as long as you don't have to touch it and get it dirty, i guess it's acceptable. just imitation suede AFAIC.