Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Replace the Subwoofer? MY12 Vantage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2022, 01:21 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Replace the Subwoofer? MY12 Vantage

Hey Everyone, I have tried searching the forum for this but haven't really been able to find any good info. I have a MY12 Vantage Roadster with the Premium Sound and my subwoofer sounds like it is busted. I am, in general, really happy with the premium sound so not really looking to upgrade - just want to replace the subwoofer to get rid of the recent rattle.

Does anyone know:
- How to remove the subwoofer enclosure? Is this an easy, moderate, or difficult job?
- If the woofer is replaceable within the enclosure or if it is better to just replace the whole enclosure?
- If the woofer is replaceable, is there is an aftermarket model that fits (on the AM schematic, I could only find the number for the enclosure, which includes the woofer)?

I know there are a bunch of "audio upgrade" threads, but seems like most/all deal with the door speakers and not the sub. Any help/info would be really appreciated!

Old 02-26-2022, 08:21 AM
J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !J doubleU Is a GOD !
I doubt that you will find instructions on removing it, should be a fairly simple job though. I do know the box design is a clam shell that comes apart to inspect or replace the driver. Usually it's not a driver issue if it still works, so I would recommend bench testing it before replacing it. Could be the enclosure, loose screws or the mounting itself.

Old 02-27-2022, 01:08 PM
mindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to allmindscape9 is a name known to all
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, it still works, but it started rattling like crazy, even at moderate volumes, a couple of months ago. I'm no audiophile, so assumed something busted, but I'll try and check it out to see if something may have come loose.

Old 02-27-2022, 04:42 PM
a102768 is an unknown quantity at this point
This reminds me that my wife told me last year that she thought she had blown one of the speakers in her car. When the bass was turned up there was a definite rattle coming from somewhere.

Fearing a costly trip to the dealer I used the balance and fader controls to try and isolate which speaker it was but it didn't seem to make much difference so I assumed it was the sub.

I therefore had a good look around to see if I could find it. I couldn't hear anything in the foot wells so put my ear near the front of the passenger seat to see if it was under that. I spotted a water bottle resting against the front of it so moved it out of the way so I could get closer and realised a little while later that the rattling had stopped.

Sure enough, the water bottle was what was making the noise but it really sounded like a blown speaker

Old 03-01-2022, 11:35 AM
acole is an unknown quantity at this point
I've removed mine before and while it's not an incredibly difficult job, it certainly is buried in there. I have an '09 roadster, so it may be a simpler job in the coupe, but I don't think much has changed between then and the MY12. IIRC you'll have to remove the seat, open up the tonneau cover and remove the trim behind the seat down to the subwoofer, along with the trim from the center armrest because there are two nuts mounting it under there. From there it should be fairly obvious where the remaining mounts are.

One thing that may be worth mentioning is that the subwoofer uses plastic tabs to mount under the center armrest and mine were broken, so that could possibly be a source of your rattling. To fix it, I made an aluminum mount replacement and riveted and glued it to the original mount location. Not OEM but it beats buying a whole new sub.