Aston Martin DB7, DB9, DBS, Vantage V8, Vanquish, and Classic models

Vantage doesnt pull hard- too limited by computer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 01:42 AM
Pangerz is an unknown quantity at this point
Vantage doesnt pull hard- too limited by computer

2006 Vantage with ECU tune- I've been quiet underwhelmed by the way the Vantage pulls (especially in mid to low revs) since I got the car.

After ECU tune the accelerator is much more responsive but I always put it down to the heavy flywheel.

Just went for a drive in a 997.1 which has very comparable performance - but lighter and bit less power. It felt very similar in 2nd gear from whatever rev I smash the accelerator in. 1st gear though- completely different story. First in the Porsche puts you in your seat - besides traction control kicking in the car gives you power in accordance to your accelerator pedal.

I'm now thinking that the flywheel just makes shifting quickly annoying but is negligible once the car is moving. I'm putting it down to the Aston computer limiting power.

Even with the tuner trying to remove as much of the computer stuff as possible it still just feels so restricted.

You guys have any thoughts on it or suggestions for the tuner?

Old 09-30-2023, 06:26 AM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Have you driven any other similar Vantages? Could first gear be taller than what you'd prefer? Install a VAP or Bamford manifold kit and that car will be a beast by any metric.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:04 AM
air993 is an unknown quantity at this point
Compared to Porsche the Aston will feel very lazy. I loved my Vantage but in the end I sold it because I missed the lightness of all the Porsche actions. Astons are wonderful cars, but my garage will have at least one Porsche in it.

Old 09-30-2023, 11:52 AM
Import will become famous soon enough
I know what you mean…the Aston is surprisingly heavy in some respects..I have a macan s..which is light in every way…and the finest gearbox ever invented…the pdk….i my humble opinion..

Old 09-30-2023, 12:17 PM
Import,
I agree. I think a tune, headers, exhaust, and light weight flywheel should wake the car up. It is a lot of upgrade money but worth it if you plan to keep the car. Remember however, everyone says "it's a keeper" and then move on or upgrade down the line. Despite the lazy relaxed feeling of Astons there's just something about the brand that tugs at the heart strings. But things would have to get pretty bad for me to give up a Porsche for an Aston (unless it's a Valkyrie or similar). Several brands may have better performance metrics, but Aston has a cache that's unmistakable, and even the uneducated public knows and appreciates it.

Old 09-30-2023, 12:37 PM
That is true..often get compliments in the Aston..when shopping..filling up…or just cruising..makes people smile..me included…that never happened in any of my wife’s Porsches..

Last edited by Import; 09-30-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2023, 04:21 PM
MRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond reputeMRCW has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Import
That is true..often get compliments in the Aston..when shopping..filling up…or just cruising..makes people smile..me included…that never happened in any of my wife’s Porsches..
there are more porsche made in a month than the whole run of the Aston Martin Vantage.

It's a wonderful car

Old 09-30-2023, 04:25 PM
Indeed..you are right..it’s the exclusivity….that and they are lookers too..lol

Old 10-01-2023, 07:58 AM
Pangerz is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah seems like we're all just going to have to live with it just looking and sounding nice.

Intake manifolds and other power mods still won't stop the computer from limiting power. I'm going to throw some high-flow 200 cell cats on it and see how it does for a small performance but massive sound improvement.

I think when the time comes for a clutch job a lightweight flywheel will definitely help if I still have the car and haven't given in to the Porsche appeal by then hahah.

Any info on removing factory computer limitations are welcome though!

Old 10-01-2023, 11:25 AM
IJWS will become famous soon enoughIJWS will become famous soon enough
The Vantage is not great off the line but is still fast enough to be fun (and get in plenty of trouble!!!) The car definitely feels better in the canyons or on the open road where it has enough room and momentum to actually feel "slick". ***I have a 4.7L with the AMR clutch upgrade but no tune and I believe it when AP says that you're not getting full throttle in first gear on the stock tune.

The 997 weighs 4-600 lbs less right? AND it doesn't have a big lump in front of you--it's behind you scooting you around. I think there are inherent dynamic differences between the cars that can't be fixed with software or more power. Honestly they both look great too. A 911 gets you in "the Porsche Club" which usually equals lots of smiles and waves/nods. The Vantage is just gorgeous. Lots of lookers, "what kind of car is that?", and "that's beautiful"s.

I think a Honda Civic Si or even a Tesla Model 3 is faster than any Vantage if you're looking for speed; but how will those cars look 20 years from now? The Vantage is the perfect example of a 20th century coupe. Long hood, low roofline, nice hips, a big thirsty engine that sounds great...it's always going to be an event and it's always going to be special. If you want a little more push, take it up to 4500+ rpms and drop the clutch. You should be fine

Old 10-01-2023, 07:38 PM
All Astons are achingly beautiful, and they are deceivingly fast too, even the 4.3 Vantage. The power, I think, is delivered in a way that matches the stately calm manner that the car was designed to carry occupants in. It may not feel fast and sharp, but it is. The Vantage is a heavy car and can never quite hide its weight/bulk. Face it, there are several cars that easily out preform any Aston on any metric except for class. The entire brand and what it is gets under your skin. As IJWS noted, it brightens peoples' day to see and hear it, and I have seen several windows roll down at intersections to hear me take off when I had mine. As an owner you have to come to terms with what it is and isn't. You either get it or you don't and either choice is great!

Old 10-01-2023, 08:17 PM
brightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond reputebrightoncorgi has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like the new Vantage is more for what you are looking for in driving dynamic. Power comes on earlier and harder.