Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it just me, or is the RS4 WAAAAAY overpriced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM
SolidGranite is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by A430v
This logic doesn't flow. Then is the 911 Turbo overpriced? Many journalists are saying that the Nissan GT-R matches or even surpasses it. What about a GT3 and Gallardo? The GT3 can out accelerate it, does that make the Gallardo overpriced? I can list other examples. Just enjoy your car(s) for what it is. Each has its pro and cons.
GT3 and Gallardo? This is a poor comparison because the Lambo is an exotic and unique design which would never be confused with any other car on the road. I cannot say the same thing for the GT3. One of the points already made a few times is the RS4 looks a lot like an A4 with a body kit. Same goes for the C32 when the C230 came out because it had the same body kit.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by offroad911
Your statement could not be weaker since if it were true Audi would not show growth every single year where the others are struggling to remain flat.
Interesting. I would be curious to see how much business Audi is truly stealing from MB & BMW vs. Lexus, Infiniti, etc... since Audis tend to be priced in the same ballpark as the Japanese cars instead of German cars.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:11 AM
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Since people seem to be stretching my comments to mean things I didn't intend, allow me to clarify by expressing this a different way:

Why does Audi choose to market itself as 7%-15% cheaper than the comparable BMW or Mercedes on all other models except the RS4, where it markets itself 10% more expensive?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:18 AM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trojanman
Interesting. I would be curious to see how much business Audi is truly stealing from MB & BMW vs. Lexus, Infiniti, etc... since Audis tend to be priced in the same ballpark as the Japanese cars instead of German cars.

I had an spot on the IS350 list until it became clear that a 6MT was not going to happen. I bought an S4 instead.

I don't really see your point with this as your whole premise has been that Audi is charging a premium over the other German brands.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
BR_RS4 is on a distinguished road
Since people seem to be stretching my comments to mean things I didn't intend, allow me to clarify by expressing this a different way:

Why does Audi choose to market itself as 7%-15% cheaper than the comparable BMW or Mercedes on all other models except the RS4, where it markets itself 10% more expensive?
There is a good article on what makes the RS4 different from other audi models. A simple search will find it, I don't have the link handy anymore but among the main points from the article as I remember are;

1) Initial chassis assembly is done at the audi plant then it is shipped to quattro gmbH (Audi's in house tuner - equivalent of AMG) where it goes through some 20 or so hand assembly steps before being sent back to ingoldstat, this accounts for approx 30% of the price if memory serves me right.

2) Limited prod run: approx 2000 or so units world wide

3) The RS4 only shares about 3 components (other than the platform) with the A/S4 series, doors and roof I think.

4) The RS4 motor is around 25 grand and shares only one or two components with the S4 4.2 engine, I know there are those who think this is just a modified 4.2 from the S4 but it is not - search the tech specs on it and this will be stated clearly

Aside from that, in as much as driving an S4 feels like a whole different animal from the A4, so does the RS4 differ from the S4. Audi's approach has always been classy and understated, that is why the RS4 looks the way it does. Personal preference I guess, but alot of audi owners want that - the unassuming elegance audi has to offer. Just my .02

Patrick

Old 12-19-2007, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by lig
I don't really see your point with this as your whole premise has been that Audi is charging a premium over the other German brands.
Right...Audi is charging a premium over AMG & M for the RS4, but it's actually cheaper than BMW & MB with its non-RS models.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:15 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
I think the cab is overpriced.. 80+ good golly

Old 12-19-2007, 03:50 PM
SolidGranite is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BR_RS4
There is a good article on what makes the RS4 different from other audi models. A simple search will find it, I don't have the link handy anymore but among the main points from the article as I remember are;

1) Initial chassis assembly is done at the audi plant then it is shipped to quattro gmbH (Audi's in house tuner - equivalent of AMG) where it goes through some 20 or so hand assembly steps before being sent back to ingoldstat, this accounts for approx 30% of the price if memory serves me right.

2) Limited prod run: approx 2000 or so units world wide

3) The RS4 only shares about 3 components (other than the platform) with the A/S4 series, doors and roof I think.

4) The RS4 motor is around 25 grand and shares only one or two components with the S4 4.2 engine, I know there are those who think this is just a modified 4.2 from the S4 but it is not - search the tech specs on it and this will be stated clearly

Aside from that, in as much as driving an S4 feels like a whole different animal from the A4, so does the RS4 differ from the S4. Audi's approach has always been classy and understated, that is why the RS4 looks the way it does. Personal preference I guess, but alot of audi owners want that - the unassuming elegance audi has to offer. Just my .02

Patrick
Thanks for the info Patrick. This is a good read and I would have to agree with you regarding Audi owners. I'm about to be a 1st in a few days when I pickup the S5.

Old 12-19-2007, 03:58 PM
alex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond reputealex911s has a reputation beyond repute
Youre right Patrick, it's the Understated Elegance

If they come out with RS4 dsg, i wont care about the price..
this is the ony reason why i dont have one yet, wifey wants to drive it..LOLOL

Old 12-19-2007, 06:07 PM
alpina is on a distinguished road
i dont agree with this - take the s5 for eg which is significantly more expensive than the 335ci which is the car that it really competes against!

julie

Old 12-19-2007, 06:54 PM
AlG_not_Algae is on a distinguished road
The easy solution is to wait a year and get one in the low $60k range...thanks to good ole Audi resale value!!!

On a serious note, I do agree with your point if the RS4 is priced higher than the C63 and the new M3. I know in the last few years Audi has released most of its new models based on BMW's price points.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by alpina
i dont agree with this - take the s5 for eg which is significantly more expensive than the 335ci which is the car that it really competes against!

julie
First we have to establish 1 thing: Audis have always been historically underpowered and slower than the comparable MB or BMW. Sadly, this point also applies to its "S" and "RS" lines. However, in contrast, Audi usually offers more features (including Quattro) for less money.

That being said, the A5 is the more appropriate direct competitor to the 335. The price point is exactly the same and it is very closely matched in performance stats (with the BMW of course being slightly faster).

The S5 is priced $10K more than the A5/335, and will perform significantly better than either. The S5 will be more in the M3 realm, though it will be slower.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:22 AM
Salespunk is on a distinguished road
Audi's make similar power to their counterparts from MB and BMW. The difference is the additional 11% in parasitic drivetrain loss from the AWD. An Audi would have to make and additional 45 HP to have similar dragstrip performance to BMW or MB assuming ~400 HP engines.

The reason RS cars get a premium is because they are not as many released into the market. There are 2000 RS4's and they will not build another until 2011 or later. Compare this to the number of M3's or AMG cars built. It is simple Supply and Demand.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:45 AM
A4RingedONE8T is on a distinguished road
Quite a discussion to read so far but Im very surprised no one has brought up ACTUAL comparisons of these cars. Many of you say the RS4 does not compare to the Benz, C55 or C63. Put the RS4 on a track with either of those cars, the C class will immediately appear inferior. Now for the BMW, yes BMW does extensive research and testing for track like experiences. Now lets take the RS4 and the new M3 and put it on the track, again the cars are going to speak for themselves. The RS4 is FOR SURE going to get in and out of corners quicker, it is also going to be able to run much longer into straights as the RS4 brakes BY FAR exceed ANYTHING you have ever seen on a BMW. The brakes alone on the RS4 make up the few extra dollars it costs over the BMW and Benz.

My honest opinion, the RS4 is a little overpriced for its "specs." Ive got one good run in with an RS4 with my GT28RS A4 and the RS4 could barely pull on me, got about a car and half from a stop (Im FWD as well) up to just over 100mph. I am in the process of jumping up to a GT3071R which afterwards I know will be no match for the RS4.

So, does the RS4 stand up for its price tag, yes and no. Does it stand up for its price tag in conditions in which the car was made for, absolutely!

You guys say the BMW and Benz are faster, but the only case where that is true is in a straight line. If Audi wanted to make a car fast for a straight line do you think they would have added extra weight and drivetrain loss with Quattro?

Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 PM
A4 - these are the types of responses I love...thanks for contributing!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it just me, or is the RS4 WAAAAAY overpriced?