Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Is it just me, or is the RS4 WAAAAAY overpriced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Is it just me, or is the RS4 WAAAAAY overpriced?

I've seen several of these babies lurking around town and I love the way they look and sound. I would entertain owning one for my DD, but I can't justify the extreme price tag.

The outgoing C55 is arguably as good or better for at least $10K less money. The incoming C63 is definitely better and it's at least $3k less money.

The incoming M3 is also arguably as good or better and it is also at least $3K less money.

How can Audi justify the huge price premium given it's "Bastard German Stepchild" status here in the states?

Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM
FredS4 is on a distinguished road
Humm, it offers something different. The merc can't be manual and both Merc and Bmw are not 4WD. Different cars for different needs. I don't think 3K on a 80k car can be called overpriced, plus it comes pretty much loaded out of the factory.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FredS4
Humm, it offers something different. The merc can't be manual and both Merc and Bmw are not 4WD. Different cars for different needs. I don't think 3K on a 80k car can be called overpriced, plus it comes pretty much loaded out of the factory.
Well I suppose my point is this: A loaded RS4 is pushing $73,000 ($77K w/ custom interior), and it's the outgoing model year. This means the new model (if/when they release the RS4 version) is going to be at least a few grand more, pushing it even higher than the MB & BMW.

If it kicked the asses of C63 & M3 I would understand, but to pay a premium and get less, and have a lesser recognized brand???

I am a huge Audi fan; I've owned 2 of em, but I just don't get this.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:54 PM
kem
kem is on a distinguished road
It's all about production numbers. Lookup the process it takes to make a RS4, its really a small operation and doesn't have a huge production line like AMG or the M3. They are also limited quantity so its more exclusive as well. The good thing is for that high price of $73K it comes with EVERYTHING... no options to get.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:49 PM
alpina is on a distinguished road
the rs4 does come pretty much loaded for the price while the others do not.

also, the m3 looks very cheap internally by comparison. yes the m3 is probably more of an allround race car but i want a car i can live with.

imho, the rs4 looks better (both internally and externally), rides better, sounds awesome throughout rev range (granted m3 sounds awesome at full song but quite ordinary everywhere else), has 4wd and most importantly can be driven harder everyday as a DD by people like me who are not all out racing car drivers.

having said all this, i love technology and im sure this will lead to slumping rs4 sales vs m3 and c63 as it is now an old car by comparison. this will be great for s5 sales (a car this is not selling that well atm) as die hard audi enthusiast will see it as the only alternative till the rs5 and new rs4 is released.

cheers,

julie

Old 12-17-2007, 10:15 PM
996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about996TTDave has a spectacular aura about
i think audi are trying to start a porsche revolution and price themselves away from everything else that is comparable - they are stupid - 80k for a car slower than the C63 and M3... dont think so

Old 12-18-2007, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by alpina
the rs4 does come pretty much loaded for the price while the others do not.
Not trying to be argumentative, but everyone keeps bringing up this point. In fact, the RS4 does NOT come fully loaded and a simple trip to the website will confirm this. There are $5,350 in options to add to the RS4 to make it complete, not counting the additional $3,800 "exclusive" interior package.

As I have already said, a fully loaded C63 or M3 is still several thousand cheaper than an RS4.

I'm just not sure how Audi can sell an A4 level car for $7,000 more than the base price of their flagship A8 cars.

Old 12-18-2007, 10:48 AM
SolidGranite is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by trojanman
Not trying to be argumentative, but everyone keeps bringing up this point. In fact, the RS4 does NOT come fully loaded and a simple trip to the website will confirm this. There are $5,350 in options to add to the RS4 to make it complete, not counting the additional $3,800 "exclusive" interior package.

As I have already said, a fully loaded C63 or M3 is still several thousand cheaper than an RS4.

I'm just not sure how Audi can sell an A4 level car for $7,000 more than the base price of their flagship A8 cars.
I agree 100%.

The RS4 is what...almost or more than 2 years old already? The C63 isn't even here yet and that is still going to cost less. The C63 comes with a hand made engine (not sure about RS4), optional panoramic roof for 1k and a few more goodies for still less than a loaded and dated car.

However, I have never driven an RS4 so this is all strictly judgemental opinion.

Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM
mchctsV will become famous soon enough
i do think the rs4 is a little overpriced especially the cabrio ........i think the car should be 8k cheaper than what it goes for....but with that said i like it because a lot of people dont have rs4,s its a rare car , epecially where i live in south florida, ive only seen like 2 in the last 2 years

Old 12-18-2007, 01:49 PM
ArcticBoost is on a distinguished road
A4 level car?!? Is the RS4 the same chasis/platform as the A4? Yes. Is it an A4 level car? Absolutely not. Regardless of whether or not you want to justify the extra ~7,000 dollars or whatever the price difference may be, exclusivity alone (as stated above) plays a huge role in the price of a car.

Would you rather have a more rare, exclusive car or a more mass produced vehicle?

There are many things to take into account when looking at these vehicles, not the strict numbers that go along with them.

And also as stated above, some people aren't in it strictly for the numbers. IMO, Audi interior is second to NONE..

Old 12-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by ArcticBoost
Would you rather have a more rare, exclusive car or a more mass produced vehicle?

There are many things to take into account when looking at these vehicles, not the strict numbers that go along with them.

And also as stated above, some people aren't in it strictly for the numbers. IMO, Audi interior is second to NONE..
I understand where you're going with this, and as much as I LOVE Audi, it simply hasn't paid its dues enough to the point where it can be priced 10% more than the comparable (and better performing) German competitors.

Exclusive as it might be, 90% of Americans don't equate Audi at the same level as MB or BMW. I would venture to say 95% of Americans will think the RS4 is just an A4 with pretty wheels.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 PM
JonA4 will become famous soon enough
As Jeremy Clarkson put it: "It's Biblically good."

Old 12-18-2007, 04:37 PM
FNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the roughFNR32 is a jewel in the rough
I understand where you're going with this, and as much as I LOVE Audi, it simply hasn't paid its dues enough to the point where it can be priced 10% more than the comparable (and better performing) German competitors.

Exclusive as it might be, 90% of Americans don't equate Audi at the same level as MB or BMW. I would venture to say 95% of Americans will think the RS4 is just an A4 with pretty wheels.
That's only your opinion, lots of others don't share it. Between the comparable cars with all 3 auto makers, the RS4 is the one I decided on. I travel to Chicago often during the winter months. AWD comes in handy. The Audi feels a little better put together than the C class i sat it (it was not an AMG model C class fwiw). To answer your question, I don't think the RS4 is overpriced, I think it's just you.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:53 PM
offroad911 is on a distinguished road
Exclusive as it might be, 90% of Americans don't equate Audi at the same level as MB or BMW.
Your statement could not be weaker since if it were true Audi would not show growth every single year where the others are struggling to remain flat. Like MB or BMW, Audi serves a core market and appeals to those who MB or BMW do not appeal to, such as myself. I have never owned, nor will I ever own a BMW or MB simply because of the snob factor associated with their owners. To me the RS4 is worth the price simply due to exclusivity which you cannot buy in MB or BMW at comparable prices. The build quality of the RS4 is superior at every level when compared to the MB or BMW.

I would venture to say 95% of Americans will think the RS4 is just an A4 with pretty wheels.
Therein you find the core value of the RS4.

Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 AM
A430v is on a distinguished road
This logic doesn't flow. Then is the 911 Turbo overpriced? Many journalists are saying that the Nissan GT-R matches or even surpasses it. What about a GT3 and Gallardo? The GT3 can out accelerate it, does that make the Gallardo overpriced? I can list other examples. Just enjoy your car(s) for what it is. Each has its pro and cons.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it just me, or is the RS4 WAAAAAY overpriced?