Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

New S4 @ $45,900

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 12:06 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Thumbs up New S4 @ $45,900

Oh snap, BMW 335i is in trouble...

http://autospies.com/news/Audi-Price...-46-000-46968/

Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 PM
switchface will become famous soon enough
I saw this today too...what was the b7 s4 base price?

Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Barebones it was $46,000, but decently equipped (like the new S4 is stock) it was around $55,000. So this is quite a price drop.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:48 PM
glowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to beholdglowone is a splendid one to behold
S4

What is it powered with? V8? One of the 335i cool factors is it gets 30+ mpg.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:54 PM
V6 SC, it gets better MPG than the 335xi.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
^^^^^^^^

And just like that we're done with people whining about the 4.2's mileage.

Are people seriously that pressed for gas money buying one of these?

Old 08-17-2009, 07:01 PM
kalare is on a distinguished road
It's not about money for most people...gas mileage is the reason I'm not buying a V8 M3...the one and ONLY reason. I've wanted an M3 for the past 10 years, since I first saw an E36. Now I won't by one simply because I cannot live with under 20mpg. My new choices are S4, S5, TTRS (if we get one in US) or Cayman S. Just because you like power and fast cars doesn't mean you can't be concerned with environment and conserving gas...and just because you like conserving gas and whatnot doesn't mean you want to run around in a prius...there's a middle ground, and some of us are on it.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:37 PM
StorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond reputeStorminS4 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm concerned with it, but at the same time I know that my 18MPG on occasion isn't hurting the planet. I guess that side of it has never worried me.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:46 PM
switchface will become famous soon enough
While the gas mileage is a plus, I'm more interested in the return of forced induction.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Raydius is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kalare
It's not about money for most people...gas mileage is the reason I'm not buying a V8 M3...the one and ONLY reason. I've wanted an M3 for the past 10 years, since I first saw an E36. Now I won't by one simply because I cannot live with under 20mpg. My new choices are S4, S5, TTRS (if we get one in US) or Cayman S. Just because you like power and fast cars doesn't mean you can't be concerned with environment and conserving gas...and just because you like conserving gas and whatnot doesn't mean you want to run around in a prius...there's a middle ground, and some of us are on it.
The S5 won't get above 20mpg unless you mostly do freeway cruising. When I was doing 80% freeway, 10% normal street driving and 10% driving aggressively, I'd get 18-19 mpg on the whole tank.

I since then changed jobs and no longer use the freeway to get to work, and I get 17-18 mpg on the tank, and that's with a lot less aggressive driving. I'm perfectly aware how to optimize throttle and shift points to maximize fuel economy but getting 20+ on the streets consistently is just not in the cards unless you are very lucky, are always drafting someone, and never hit any red lights. Best ever with street driving was 21 mpg, and I drove like a grandma, skipping gears going 1-3-6 and keeping rpm less than 1500, and my car has 21k miles running 0w40 m1 synthetic with a k&n filter and milltek exhaust and the latest dealer-updated ECU map (came out in June).

I once did 24 mpg going from San Diego to LA in the middle of the night at 75mph with cruise control, but I wouldn't call that typical. I'm fine with it, but if you don't like the M3 because of its fuel economy, maybe the S5 doesn't really belong on that list either. It's also worth noting that the old M3 with the 3.2L I6 didn't really get much above 20 mpg either, and I'd be really surprised if a Cayman S did above the low 20's with real world driving conditions, and the S4 is probably down in the low 20's or high teens once you mod it or even just drive it spiritedly.

Every car you've listed including the M3 is roughly in the same ballpark if you talk to real owners and don't just believe what the advertising tells you. Heck even my friend's Lexus IS350 in mixed traffic/commute driving can barely crack 20 mpg unless he's driving super conservatively, and most owners on A5OC with the way more conservative A5 3.2FSI get ~22-24 mpg at best despite the manufacturer claim of 27-30.

Last edited by Raydius; 08-17-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 PM
gigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond reputegigharbor1 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NewSong
V6 SC, it gets better MPG than the 335xi.
I don't mean to offend anyone but if maximizing gas mileage is the issue, the A4 should be on the radar screen and not the S4. A SC V6 is meant to be driven IMO, and not set on cruise control to see how high MPG it can get!

Old 08-18-2009, 04:33 AM
kalare is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gigharbor1
I don't mean to offend anyone but if maximizing gas mileage is the issue, the A4 should be on the radar screen and not the S4. A SC V6 is meant to be driven IMO, and not set on cruise control to see how high MPG it can get!
Read the last sentence of my post please.

Raydius...I would agree, the current S5 will eat gas. I'm assuming the new S5 with V6T will be much like the new S4 and that's what I was referring to. I've yet to hear real mileage about the S4...it's brand new and not many have them. Cayman S repeatedly gets high 20's on cayman club forums. Slap a TPC turbo on and at highway speeds most have reported over 30mpg. Obviously driving ANY car spiritedly will bring the MPG down, but I don't do that all the time. I want a DD that I can commute in and have fun in.

Anyways...really, everyone's opinion is different about it, no use in arguing over it. ...Back OT, I would obviously buy an S4 over 335i any day!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:39 AM
edbhr is on a distinguished road
wow at the price, New S4 @ $45,900!! down here the basic A4 will cost around that much, a well speced A5 is around $74,000.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Scott AEPi is a splendid one to beholdScott AEPi is a splendid one to beholdScott AEPi is a splendid one to beholdScott AEPi is a splendid one to beholdScott AEPi is a splendid one to beholdScott AEPi is a splendid one to behold
I think I found my next car! (driving a 335i coupe for now)

Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 PM
VEGASSPEED is on a distinguished road
It is hard to beat the 335i coupe looks though. The only other car I would take is an S5 instead my 335i. The problem with the 4.2V8 is it still isn't as good as a mild tuned 335i now. Shoot, I am doing 340whp/360wtq with some dependable Dinan mods. If Audi had some more performance than I would go that route.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New S4 @ $45,900