Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

S5 vs. RS4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Domsz06 is infamous around these parts
yeah perhaps I don't know how to launch the AWD. Smoked isn't the right word, but beat would be better.

IDK. Sorry not much help on what he got put on his car.

I guess it's just the S5 doesn't feel fast like the other cars.... but that would be explained by the torque curve etc...

Old 12-15-2009, 02:27 PM
Domsz06 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by GotBoost?
The S5 is a beautiful car with a top notch interior. Performance is not it's strong suit what so ever. I don't care what anybody says, the car is slow..... The suspension is way too soft and has way too much body roll. I've put on a Stasis exhaust, H&R Coilovers, and rear ARB. The car handles a bit better. Less body roll than before and rotates much better now, but no track car by any stretch of the imagination. The exhaust ads a nice tone to it, but the car isn't any faster.

You cannot just take independent parts and add them up to come to a horsepower total. Exhaust 15hp + ECU 15hp + Filter 5hp does not equate to 35 extra horsepower at the crank. Theoretically I guess it should, but that's not how power mods work. The parts independantly might produce it's claimed hp gains over stock, but how it reacts with other mods is another story. You really have to test the total package on a dyno before and after to see what the real gains are.

The S5 is a great looking car and I have accepted it for exactly that. A good looking tourer that my wife enjoys driving..... If it was pure performance I was after in a similiar price range, the M3 would of been sitting in my garage.

so true on the mods. but thanks for backing me up on the slow part

Old 12-15-2009, 02:49 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Domsz06
so true on the mods. but thanks for backing me up on the slow part
I call it like it is. I don't try and making the car into something it's not just because I own it.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:04 PM
JonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to behold
I call it like it is. I don't try and making the car into something it's not just because I own it.
Neither do I lol, but slow isn't quite the word.

I do understand what you're saying with the exhausts and stacking parts, but according to EVOMSit they developed that kind of tune for the old B7 S4 and extracted 40 crank in that motor. Suspension wise it definitely handles better than it accelerates, for a 3900lb I think its great, it isn't staying with a Turbo on the twisties, but I have yet to find a Carrera that can shake me (driver I know, but the car is capable). At the end of the day the car is what it is, a GT overweight Coupe that is underpowered that is aimed at 335's and in stock forms the S5 wins. Sorry you don't enjoy the car like I do, but we can all agree it does look good.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:00 PM
GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !GotBoost? Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JonM

I do understand what you're saying with the exhausts and stacking parts, but according to EVOMSit they developed that kind of tune for the old B7 S4 and extracted 40 crank in that motor. Suspension wise it definitely handles better than it accelerates, for a 3900lb I think its great, it isn't staying with a Turbo on the twisties, but I have yet to find a Carrera that can shake me (driver I know, but the car is capable). At the end of the day the car is what it is, a GT overweight Coupe that is underpowered that is aimed at 335's and in stock forms the S5 wins. Sorry you don't enjoy the car like I do, but we can all agree it does look good.

Your right. Maybe slow isn't quite the right word for it. I guess, a Dodge Van is slow. The S5 is quick, just not quick enough..

Don't get me wrong, I do thoroughly enjoy the car for what it is. If I want excitement and thrills, I jump in my turbo. If I want to drive somehting nice and sporty without beating me up, I jump in the S5. And you are right it is really one good looking car.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !
The S5 is a beautiful car with a top notch interior. Performance is not it's strong suit what so ever. I don't care what anybody says, the car is slow..... The suspension is way too soft and has way too much body roll. I've put on a Stasis exhaust, H&R Coilovers, and rear ARB. The car handles a bit better. Less body roll than before and rotates much better now, but no track car by any stretch of the imagination. The exhaust ads a nice tone to it, but the car isn't any faster.

You cannot just take independent parts and add them up to come to a horsepower total. Exhaust 15hp + ECU 15hp + Filter 5hp does not equate to 35 extra horsepower at the crank. Theoretically I guess it should, but that's not how power mods work. The parts independantly might produce it's claimed hp gains over stock, but how it reacts with other mods is another story. You really have to test the total package on a dyno before and after to see what the real gains are.

The S5 is a great looking car and I have accepted it for exactly that. A good looking tourer that my wife enjoys driving..... If it was pure performance I was after in a similiar price range, the M3 would of been sitting in my garage.
+1, you know what you are talking about.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:39 PM
Banned
CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !CURI0 Is a GOD !

I'm sorry, but how does the S5 win vs. the 335 in stock form?

It looks good? Subjective, but considering you keep talking about the looks and the interior that goes to show it isn't a discussion for people who want performance combined with good looks and a nice interior.

RS4 all the way in this discussion, or the new S4, but the S5 just is way too slow and has very little performance potential. 335's mop the floor with it performance wise, just the way it really is.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Banned
Your right. Maybe slow isn't quite the right word for it. I guess, a Dodge Van is slow. The S5 is quick, just not quick enough..

Don't get me wrong, I do thoroughly enjoy the car for what it is. If I want excitement and thrills, I jump in my turbo. If I want to drive somehting nice and sporty without beating me up, I jump in the S5. And you are right it is really one good looking car.
You drive the Turbo and the wife drives the S5... that about sums it up.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:40 PM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
Great info guys - I appreciate it. I mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't on crack by feeling that the car just didn't seem all that quick.

I guess if I'm going to move out of the RS4 for a coupe I might have to switch to BMW and get an M3. I know that the interior of the M3 is a disappointment but maybe the RWD performance and exterior styling will make up for that.

Hell, maybe I should just keep the damn RS4...

Old 12-15-2009, 06:43 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by RS4-Brian
Great info guys - I appreciate it. I mainly wanted to make sure I wasn't on crack by feeling that the car just didn't seem all that quick.

I guess if I'm going to move out of the RS4 for a coupe I might have to switch to BMW and get an M3. I know that the interior of the M3 is a disappointment but maybe the RWD performance and exterior styling will make up for that.

Hell, maybe I should just keep the damn RS4...
Just depends what you like, I prefer the modern and sharp edges of the E92 M3 interior and think the Aud interior talk is overblown, this is the cabin I prefer to be in:

Not to mention it comes with a better car

Old 12-15-2009, 06:45 PM
JonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to beholdJonM is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CURI0
I'm sorry, but how does the S5 win vs. the 335 in stock form?

It looks good? Subjective, but considering you keep talking about the looks and the interior that goes to show it isn't a discussion for people who want performance combined with good looks and a nice interior.

RS4 all the way in this discussion, or the new S4, but the S5 just is way too slow and has very little performance potential. 335's mop the floor with it performance wise, just the way it really is.
I'm sorry, but if anyone pisses me off on this forum it's you. You throw assumptions out there with no back up what so ever, and seem to love to put the S5 down. I agree go for the S4 if anything, or just keep the freaking RS4, but to say that the S5 is slower than a damn 335 is just stupid and shows your fricken ignorance.http://fastestlaps.com/index.php?pag...=45fd0fcbd70cb

And besides that Edmunds, Motortrend and everyone else under the sun except that stupid 5th Gear video has faster times for the S5.

Edit** The Nordshleife time for the S5 is incorrect it actually got an 8:24.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
For that matter just get a Z06, it will **** on most cars on the road including the equally priced all hailed BMW M3.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned
For that matter just get a Z06, it will **** on most cars on the road including the equally priced all hailed BMW M3.
Not my M3, plus what you said does not make any sense. If you want a German sport sedan, why would you get a Z06? Do they make them with back seats now?

Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally Posted by CURI0
Not my M3, plus what you said does not make any sense. If you want a German sport sedan, why would you get a Z06? Do they make them with back seats now?
Aww not your M3, lol how much did it cost you to get that thing as fast as it is? If he wants fast just get a C63 costs less than the M since nobody can move them, worked they're making over 500 crank. Sorry your M isn't as godly as you make it out to be. Relax buddy.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
Banned
I'm sorry, but if anyone pisses me off on this forum it's you. You throw assumptions out there with no back up what so ever, and seem to love to put the S5 down. I agree go for the S4 if anything, or just keep the freaking RS4, but to say that the S5 is slower than a damn 335 is just stupid and shows your fricken ignorance.http://fastestlaps.com/index.php?pag...=45fd0fcbd70cb

And besides that Edmunds, Motortrend and everyone else under the sun except that stupid 5th Gear video has faster times for the S5.

Edit** The Nordshleife time for the S5 is incorrect it actually got an 8:24.
Hey, settle down now, your interior is pretty, ok?

No, saying the S5 is slower and has less performance potential is called reality. I'm sorry you don't like it, but that is how it is, I suggest you get used to it. The S5 is slow and overweight and behind the times in performance, it would struggle with even the outdated E46 M3.

Take a look at dragtimes.com, compare the results for the S5 and the 335, enjoy. Don't go quoting ring times, etc, the S5 is not a track car and will never excel as such. You saying the S5 beats the 335 is laughable, ring times don't matter when a 335 pulls away from you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: S5 vs. RS4