Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi TT?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 01:08 PM
swordsman is on a distinguished road
Audi TT?

Sorry guys this maybe a bit OT but I was hoping someone with a first hand experience could chip in on this one:

I'm in the process of getting a new car for my gf and I'm thinking about the AUDI TT. I'm looking at the base model (180hp/automatic/coupe), she doesn't know how to drive a stick and she's not a real car enthusiast so this would be plenty of hp for her. I just want to find out if this is a fun car to drive and the reliability?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Peter

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Reliable, but with the A/C on in the summer combined with the automatic, it will be sluggish.

I would go for the 225TT. That little extra hp makes a nice difference.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:40 PM
nash is on a distinguished road
Definitely shoot for a 225, as Mike pointed out. I don't think it will cost you much more, and you'll appreciate it when you borrow the car The TT is a pretty porky car (heavy), so the base model is a bit underpowered.

The 1.8T engine is pretty bulletproof, and can be modded reliably (if that's something that interests you).

As with any Audi, Quattro is always a good buy... though in Seal Beach, with an every day driver (not someone who is going to appreciate AWD handling), you may not need to look for that option.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Mike/A.W.E.
Reliable, but with the A/C on in the summer combined with the automatic, it will be sluggish.

I would go for the 225TT. That little extra hp makes a nice difference.

Thanks for the input. Actually I was also looking at the 225TT but unfortunately no 6-speed for her.

Old 01-07-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by nash
Definitely shoot for a 225, as Mike pointed out. I don't think it will cost you much more, and you'll appreciate it when you borrow the car The TT is a pretty porky car (heavy), so the base model is a bit underpowered.

The 1.8T engine is pretty bulletproof, and can be modded reliably (if that's something that interests you).

As with any Audi, Quattro is always a good buy... though in Seal Beach, with an every day driver (not someone who is going to appreciate AWD handling), you may not need to look for that option.

I agree completely. But since the car is for her then I have to put her interests over mine. She doesn't know how and also not interested in 6-speed manual, she also doesn't care about having enough hp...just a fun & reliable car to drive around everyday.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:20 PM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
A friend of mine has the automatic 180HP TT Convertible. It's plenty zippy for people who don't care too much about performance. The coupe model weighs a few hundred pounds less so it should have even better performance than the convertible that I've driven.

The interior design is phenomenal - it looks very techy. Unfortunately, because of the pricepoint of the car, there is a lot of rubber/plastic instead of leather and metal.

For the same price I would also consider a few other coupes, all of which have better handling and performance than the TT:
- BMW 3 coupe
- Infiniti G35 Coupe
- Nissan 350Z
- Preowned Boxster Tip

Old 01-07-2005, 02:29 PM
20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute20C4S has a reputation beyond repute
go test drive it first make sure u spend enough time in it. the shape of the car is very nice but because of it the visibility is really bad. also the windshield will give kinda funny fish-eye view out. take that into consideration before making the decision.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Originally posted by 20C4S
go test drive it first make sure u spend enough time in it. the shape of the car is very nice but because of it the visibility is really bad. also the windshield will give kinda funny fish-eye view out. take that into consideration before making the decision.

Another good point.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
carbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud ofcarbonissimo has much to be proud of
Cool

My Wife drove a 1.8 for 2 years and we loved it. It was a stick of course. It was not underpowered, had great visibility, incredible cargo space, classic design and just took one test drive to fall in love with.

Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2005, 03:42 PM
996turbo will become famous soon enough
new design coming out next year..

Old 01-07-2005, 04:57 PM
Thanks guys for all your input and comments, I'll definitely check out all the available options before making the decision.

I just browsed through the Infinity website for the specs on G35 coupe, and talk about more bang for the buck...I was shocked to find that at about the same price level you can get a loaded G35 coupe with 280hp vs AUDI TT (180hp) & BMW 325CI coupe (184hp)! What's going on here? Is it cuz it's a rice rocket vs German engineering or there's more to it???

Peter

Old 01-07-2005, 06:32 PM
Mark M is on a distinguished road
Before getting excited about the G35 Coupe, make sure she will tolerate the loud exhaust noise especially upon cold startup and takeaways!

Old 01-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Welcome to the OC, bitch!
trojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant futuretrojanman has a brilliant future
C'mon mark...it's not that bad!

Plus, the Audi TT that my friend has is insulated VERY poorly so you get lots of wind noise and ambient noise inside the cabin. It could simply be the fact that it's a convertible.

Infiniti, Acura, & Lexus have always offered a great deal more bang for the buck than German marks. Add to that the fact that the japanese brands are kicking german *** reliability-wise, and you've got a winning combo.

A lot of guys on this board are adding an infiniti or lexus to their car collection. I'm considering getting an FX45 as a replacement for my turbo.

Old 01-10-2005, 10:45 AM
JonA4 will become famous soon enough
If you want to go new, the new S-Line TT with a 3.2 flat 6 has 255 horsepower, with an Automatic transmission (with paddle shifts), awesome exhaust note, and even Launch Control for perfect starts at the drag strip every time!

Old 01-10-2005, 10:50 AM
JonA4 will become famous soon enough
Hot Damn!

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi TT?