Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Audi R4 coming ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 PM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Audi R4 coming ...

...as Coupe and Cabriolet:

autoexpress:

The R8 is getting a little brother. Audi insiders have given the strongest hints yet that the much rumoured R4 is heading for showrooms. The two-seater sports car will sit between the TT and R8, and rival the new Jaguar C-X16.

“If the go-ahead was given today, it would take around three years to put into production,” an Audi insider told Auto Express.

Taking inspiration from the e-tron Spyder, the R4 will be designed as a convertible. Our source added: “If you start with a roadster, it’s easy to make a coupe version, too [it’s simply a matter of putting a roof on].” Our illustrations give a good idea of how both cars will look.

Initially, the R4 will come with a conventional engine, such as Audi’s 2.5-litre five-cylinder turbo, producing around 400bhp, but a hybrid will also feature. “Even in our sports car ranges, customer demand for efficiency is increasing,” said the insider.

While all R4s will have quattro four-wheel drive, the hybrid will take this further. As there’s no mechanical link between the mid-mounted engine driving the rear wheels and the electric motor powering the fronts, the car will get a clever torque vectoring system as seen on the e-tron Spyder.

This drivetrain promises strong efficiency – the e-tron Spyder can run in front-drive electric-only mode at up to 37mph for around 30 miles.

The biggest question is whether the car will sit on a new mid-engined platform or a cut-down version of the R8’s aluminium spaceframe. The new mid-engined chassis was debuted by the VW BlueSport at the 2009 Detroit Motor Show, and could also underpin a new entry-level Porsche.

Our insider explained: “We’ve made platform sharing work in the past with cars such as the Q7 [it shares with the Porsche Cayenne and VW Touareg], but have to decide if it’s right for this car.”

Whatever the platform, the R4 would be a popular junior R8. With prices from around £50,000, the R4 could outsell Porsche’s 911, shifting as many as 10,000 a year.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:10 PM
jjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to beholdjjm4life is a splendid one to behold
looks like a 370z with horizontal headlights, and looks like it could weigh 2 tons.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:23 PM
extrabolts is on a distinguished road
I got excited when I saw the title and picture, then I read 400bhp. I just don't understand how this car fits into their lineup. With a TT, TTS, A5, S5, and RS5, Audi has the sub 450hp two door coupe category well covered. Give this thing a twin turbo V8 pumping out around 500hp, and you'll get my attention.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:22 PM
sechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant futuresechsgang has a brilliant future
It absolutely will not have 400 hp. It will likely be slated around 330 hp-ish. 400 hp puts it far too close to the r8 v8.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 PM
easy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really niceeasy_button is just really nice
Originally Posted by sechsgang
It absolutely will not have 400 hp. It will likely be slated around 330 hp-ish. 400 hp puts it far too close to the r8 v8.
Makes more sense to put 450 - 500 hp in it and drop the R8 v8.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:30 AM
catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !catchmyshadow Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by extrabolts
I got excited when I saw the title and picture, then I read 400bhp. I just don't understand how this car fits into their lineup. With a TT, TTS, A5, S5, and RS5, Audi has the sub 450hp two door coupe category well covered. Give this thing a twin turbo V8 pumping out around 500hp, and you'll get my attention.
It should be easy to squeeze 450-500 HP out of the 2.5L 5cyl.
Tuners are offering figures like that for the same engine in the TTRS or RS3.
i`d rather have this engine than the V8 from the R8 or RS5, which is heavier too.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Keep it under 3000 pounds and I'll have to get one!

Old 10-28-2011, 12:45 PM
sakimano will become famous soon enoughsakimano will become famous soon enough
do not get

isn't that what the TT is for?

Seems Audi has been designing too many models to fill every half-niche in the market a la Mercedes 5-7 years ago. Q3 vs Q5? TT vs R4? Seems excessive.

Scrap the TT I say. Or better yet, just name this thing TT (Mark III)

Old 10-28-2011, 12:46 PM
sakimano will become famous soon enoughsakimano will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Dr. Bill
Keep it under 3000 pounds and I'll have to get one!
the quattro concept was in the 2500 lbs range. Add about 400 and all the niceties, and you've got your wish.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by sakimano
do not get

isn't that what the TT is for?

Seems Audi has been designing too many models to fill every half-niche in the market a la Mercedes 5-7 years ago. Q3 vs Q5? TT vs R4? Seems excessive.

Scrap the TT I say. Or better yet, just name this thing TT (Mark III)
This thing will be more expensive than the (next) TT, 2/3 the price of an R8 imho.
it`s great looking, midengined and almost as powerful as the R8, so don`t expect it to be cheap.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:49 PM
Jamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the roughJamerikan is a jewel in the rough
This could be the longer wheel base version of the TT

Old 10-28-2011, 05:10 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Dammit. I was sold on the XC-16, until this. I'm still sold on the Jag, but now I have to look at other cars again.

I love competition. HOWEVER - this car appears to have an identity problem.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
I'm intersted seems like that Audi Quattro concept going into production as TT replacement?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Originally Posted by gtr
I'm intersted seems like that Audi Quattro concept going into production as TT replacement?

The quattro concept is based on the RS5 (shortened) and has a front engine.
latest reports say it won`t make it to production (which is sad):

the R4 (maybe called the R5 in the end) is a new, additional model and not a TT replacement and it
is based on the VW blue sport concept and midengined:

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Vrrooom is on a distinguished road
It needs some HP!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Audi R4 coming ...