Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of TTRS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 09:58 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by black penguin
Coming from Porsche, do you still find the TT RS involving to drive?

GT3RS feels like a race car. The Boxster Spyder is on a different level. Feels like an excellent super sports car much like the GTR, Corvetter and etc. The TTRS falls in this categlory but toward the other end with a more relaxed steering feel and stable due to awd and some understeer. As involving and a setp up from your S4 i guess. If you have a B8 S4, i guess it's feels like a smaller lighter version with a 600lbs diet and stronger brakes. I never driven a 4s but I'd imagine it's similar to my old turbo. If that's the case i can definitly go faster with the TTRS because the 911 is hard to drive for me. The rear just swings out and you need to brake steer to get the thing around.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:04 AM
WVS4 is on a distinguished road
Not what I didnt like....

I understand your reservations about the GTR. I bought it strictly for perfomance for the dollar, but It will make you a fan very quickly !!! It wasnt that I was disappointed in the TT, I guess it is that I have been ruined by what a GTR and $3k worth of work has done. I am truely an Audi/Porsche guy and wanted to love the TT, but just liked it. The owner has (or sold) every decent Audi that comes to N.A. and he likes it as well or better on the track than his old R-8 (V8) as well as his current Spyder V-10, because of the weight. Great car for sure just not something that will make you not want to take the Aston to the track while the GTR would make the Aston a Sunday car.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Thanks. Curious to hear a V10 owner is liking the TT RS.
I know the easy choice is the 997, and it might be the right car. Strange to hear people say to buy something other than a Porsche, especially when they have owned a Porsche.

In looking for a smaller car (the Aston is 2" smaller than a 997). Something interesting and fast. The TT RS has the right mix, but I fear it's not going to be involving enough. The 997 4S, is also a great choice. Pricey parts, but less depreciation (bought used).

Is there another choice?

Those GTR's are epic performers.

Old 11-27-2011, 09:06 AM
WVS4 is on a distinguished road
I believe you will be able to make the TT a very fun car to drive. I know after coil overs, Hotchkis sway bars and sticky tires I had the B7 close to neutral and I could even bring the rear end around a little. With that being sad it was still a heavy all wheel drive car that lacked the "feel" you speak of. The TT is much better from the start and sounds to be the only car in the niche your looking. Keep us posted...
this was very close to being my track car instead of the GTR !!!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Damn that red Cayman looks amazing.

I would consider coil overs, sway bars are a must according to my local Audi tuners, as is a Revo tube. I would likely also skip the factory sport exhaust and opt for an aftermarket system.

I have no idea how good the factory tires are, but in guessing a stickier DOT tire must be available.

In going to drive the TT RS back to back with a 2008 997 4S, on Tuesday. I will let you know my thoughts (street not track)

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Old 11-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Damn that red Cayman looks amazing.

I would consider coil overs, sway bars are a must according to my local Audi tuners, as is a Revo tube. I would likely also skip the factory sport exhaust and opt for an aftermarket system.

I have no idea how good the factory tires are, but in guessing a stickier DOT tire must be available.

In going to drive the TT RS back to back with a 2008 997 4S, on Tuesday. I will let you know my thoughts (street not track)

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Sooo, I drove the TT RS and the 997 Carrera S back to back. It's a good news bad news story.

The TT RS looks great and they really have done a fantastic job of it. The sound of the 5 pot is great, though I wish it was just a little louder. The car was proper quick and it handled fairly well. I really did not feel much turbo lag at all. I'm sure it is balistic with the revo kits.

But, the car felt a little bit numb over all. The Audi steering was overly light at low speeds. The whole experience just felt a little bit removed from the road. It felt like a great car wrapped in a condom.

I'm sure, in a road car at the absolute edge, this works very well. In fact it is likely the more forgiving car, but on the street, it was too tame.

The 997 was a different beast, though similar in size. I'm sure I will annoy the Porsche crowd by saying it had more in common with my Aston. The whole experience was just more mechanical. You could hear all the gear and road noise. The steering was fantastic and direct. The pace was good, but likely not on par with a modded TT RS.

But, I'm sure it would be more fun. More rewarding. It really is a visceral experience. It really does become one with the road and driver.

A Porsche is such a cliche, but the truth is the truth. I wanted to want the Audi to win. I found the idea of building one out more interesting. I'm sure on the track it is more surprising, but the aaudi desire to makes things feel slightly numb has gotten in the way of the driver.

Sorry guys, but the Audi came second. Wanted to want the TT RS