Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Thinking of TTRS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 12:59 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Thinking of TTRS

My summer ride is an Aston Martin Vantage (4.7). I love that car, fantastic and pretty surprising on the track. It's nice passing people who write it off as a GT.

I also have a Supercharged Range Rover Sport (510hp) so I don't need the S4 to haul the kids around etc.

I took the S4 out on the track and it was really disappointing. Twitchy braking, nose heavy, etc. I just never really fell in love with that car. It's plenty fast, but not engaging enough.

So, I'm thinking of a TTRS. That way I can drive it in the winter (Aston gets stored) with a set of winter tires, and chip it and put a set of hardcore rubber on it for track days in the summer.

I will still take the Aston to the track the odd time, but I can beat on the TTRS as I don't NEED it during the summer months. For obvious reasons I want to spare the Aston from Too much track time. But it is so much fun, it would be impossible to stay away.

So, what say you?

TTRS as a winter beater and modded weekend track toy?

Will it be engaging enough to keep the Aston off the track?
I had a limited edition Boxster S this summer and LOVED it, but they can't do winter.

Any thoughts would be great.

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 11-19-2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: not in open forum and not enough posts
Old 11-19-2011, 01:03 PM
black penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant futureblack penguin has a brilliant future
Questions:

Good swap?
What chip, I'm thinking Revo?
Rear sway bar to reduce understeer?
Reprogram Haldex system for better power distribution?
Best extreme but DOT summer tires (max size?)

Old 11-21-2011, 11:11 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
the TTRS would be a great winter DD and awesome as a track day car.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Brutal 30+% depreciation on my 2010 S4 is making rethink getting rid of it, or buying another Audi. It's only 18 months old and has 11500 kms on it (7145 miles). White with red and black leather interior, sport dif etc.

Is this normal depreciation?

Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM
colt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of lightcolt45 is a glorious beacon of light
all of the RS models do not depreciate as much as the other models.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 PM
I guess the other option is a 2008 Porsche 4S. Same price (slightly less), but i don't drive much, so a bit of mileage is not an issue.

Apparently they are pretty decent city winter cars m

Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 PM
bimmerpat has a spectacular aura aboutbimmerpat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by colt45
the TTRS would be a great winter DD and awesome as a track day car.
this

Old 11-24-2011, 07:44 AM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
I was gonna do the same thing for my TTRS but due to the ground clearance and being "too nice a car for the winter" I've decided to buy a Jeep Wrangler.

Decided to try something new and get some ground clearance. The 2012 model has 6 speed manual and 285hp which for some reason attracts me to the Jeep not to mention the MW3 "black ops edition commerical".

The STI is a better winter car than the TTRS with 6" of ground clearance compared to under 4" on the TTRS and STI has a locking center diff.

Cars i've was considering but ground clearance may be an issue.
BMW 3series xdrive
new C300 benz
Mitsubishi Evox
Golf R (over 1" more in ground clearance than TTRS)
Carrera 4

Old 11-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I live right in the middle of the city and I also have a range rover, so a jeep is not needed. Had one before, and they do work well enough.

I really just need a car that I can drive on the odd snowy day, but mostly on dry city roads.

My Aston is my summer driver. This would be in place of my S4.

Ttrs or 2008/2009 porsche 4S??
Any thoughts?

Old 11-24-2011, 12:23 PM
gtr
gtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura aboutgtr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by black penguin
Ttrs or 2008/2009 porsche 4S??
Any thoughts?
About same weight, same power. I went with the TTRS because never owned an Audi before and like the flat torque curve. But truthfully it's a tough call. TT has nicer interior, cheaper insurance and is new car.

Go with your gut feeling that will put a larger smile on your face.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by gtr
About same weight, same power. I went with the TTRS because never owned an Audi before and like the flat torque curve. But truthfully it's a tough call. TT has nicer interior, cheaper insurance and is new car.

Go with your gut feeling that will put a larger smile on your face.
Do you still have your GT3?

How donyoubratebthe dynamics of the TT RS? Involving to drive isnasnimportant as outright pace to me. MynAston is not the fastest car, but it feels fast, and is glorious when pushed.

The fact that the Porsche has already taken a big depreciation hit is a good thing. The TT RS being a far less obvious choice, and easily modded is pretty cool too.

Beating someone in a 997, is not cause for celebration. Wiping the smugness from their face in the TT RS would be fun. I have had the opportunity tonschoolnanfew people who wrote my Aston off as just a "GT"

Old 11-24-2011, 06:55 PM
WVS4 is on a distinguished road
Coming from Audi and just doing a track day with a good friend and his TT-RS I say buy a GTR and some snow tires....While it is not the Aston I think you will never have the urge to drive it on the track again !! You have a solution for deep snow and the GTR does great with snow tires minus the pushing snow around with the airdam. The TT does fine around the track, but it wont replace the Aston and you can find a low milage GTR for about the same money. Any way here is my pic page with a couple (bad) videos of me following the RS for a few laps and then checking out.
http://pcamidohiofallevent.shutterfly.com/
Good Luck

Old 11-24-2011, 08:08 PM
I have huge respect for the GTR, but it's not for me. Amazing machines. I'm sure are having some thrilling times in it.

What was it about the TT RS that disappointed you?

Old 11-24-2011, 08:11 PM
gtr
Originally Posted by black penguin
Do you still have your GT3?
Yes, I have it on the classified section since i'm thinking about trying something different. I had a GTR during the first release and I really didn't like the smoothness of the gear box. I've heard it has improved towards PDK like shifting but the wider the 20" rims/tires the harder to get around in snow not to mention that the GTR is a pretty large car for the city.

The GTR is not a bad choice and probably much more fun. The TTRS/4s is probably the better bet if you don't want to be harassed by picture phones.

The TTRS is like a mild evo with more understeer but refined inevery way with gobs of torque and more powered comparing stock to stock. The GTR is like a hyper super STI without the understeer. The steering has the sharpness of the Evo actually best of both and feels 1000x more power and g's all around.

Last edited by gtr; 11-24-2011 at 08:17 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:26 PM
Coming from Porsche, do you still find the TT RS involving to drive? The Aston is not the quickest car, but it never feels numb. It's a very "live" feeling car. I'm guessing your Porsche is the same, only more.

How does the TT RS make up for it with grip? The reviews paint a less than involved drive, but the owners love them.

Looking for the truth

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of TTRS