Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Looking at an Audi R8, what things should I go for?

Old 03-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Diesel47 is on a distinguished road
Looking at an Audi R8, what things should I go for?

So at this point I'd love to get an R8. However, my biggest concern is how much the car will depreciate by the time I want to sell it (I'm thinking 2 years?)

Is there a general rule of thumb as to what to look for?

V8 vs V10?

Coupe vs Spyder?

Manual vs Automatic?

Mileage vs Model Year?

At the moment, I'm thinking that any year Manual V10 Coupe with low mileage will hold its value the best. But I'm just guessing. Does that sound about right?

Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
I will give you my experience...

A few years ago, I had a 2008 V8 6MT, It got looks, it has sound (had tubi) but it was slow, The car feels/drives too heavy for the 400HP imo. The manual transmission in the R8 is one you definitely have to love, The shifts are terribly slow compared to say, a 911. I ended up getting out of it within a couple of months

As of a month ago, a few Porsches later, I am in a 2015 V10 S Tronic, it's a world different, the transmission IMO is the right one for the R8, as is the V10

They do tend to be slower moving inventory, so definitely aim low, and/or get a very well spec'd one at the right price and I doubt you would lose much over 2 years if you don't pile on miles. It's not a Ferrari, but it will hold well I think.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:16 PM
Diesel47 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Chris_FL
I will give you my experience...

A few years ago, I had a 2008 V8 6MT, It got looks, it has sound (had tubi) but it was slow, The car feels/drives too heavy for the 400HP imo. The manual transmission in the R8 is one you definitely have to love, The shifts are terribly slow compared to say, a 911. I ended up getting out of it within a couple of months

As of a month ago, a few Porsches later, I am in a 2015 V10 S Tronic, it's a world different, the transmission IMO is the right one for the R8, as is the V10

They do tend to be slower moving inventory, so definitely aim low, and/or get a very well spec'd one at the right price and I doubt you would lose much over 2 years if you don't pile on miles. It's not a Ferrari, but it will hold well I think.
The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking I'm better off just getting something tried and tested like a 2013 Carrera S or something.

How did you like your Porsches?

Maybe I'll pick up a 2014-2015 V10 when the prices drop after a few years.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:27 PM
Chris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the roughChris_FL is a jewel in the rough
911-wise, I've had
05 C2S 6spd
09 CS2 PDK
07 TT 6spd

Obviously the Turbo was my favorite, loved the power, wished it sounded better.

With the 991 S, you can't go wrong, It's quick enough, looked great, handles well, it's just not a "super car"

If you do prefer an automatic, and look at R8s, I recommend 14+ w/ the s-tronic vs. the e-gear (pre-facelift)

Old 03-08-2017, 02:18 AM
Killemall has a spectacular aura aboutKillemall has a spectacular aura about
Im in a 2009 r8 v8...

I dont even notice porsches to be honest....

But everyone notices the R8.

Id honestly say that the R8 is the closest you can get to owning an Italian without looking like a deuche bag.

If you dont care about road prescence than the porsche is an amazing car.

If you want a car that a lambo and ferrari owner might wave over at you to come park by them... Then the R8 can fit that bill.

Sounds dumb...I know..

But honestly the cheapest R8 ever made is like 120k back in 2008..And they can hit 200k plus with options.

Keep that in mind when looking at other cars.

You get a pretty rare vehicle that has the engine under the glass with an R8

Old 03-08-2017, 02:22 AM
Killemall has a spectacular aura aboutKillemall has a spectacular aura about
Just think about it for a sec....

My 2009 R8 with 36k miles has been offerred 70-75k from buyers in the past 6 months. I told them all no as I wont sell under 77k at this time...

What does a 2009 porsche, bmw, merc, chevy, ect. Sell for????

25-60k depending on brand and options????

The R8 is really just a bit more special than Average.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:11 AM
shonseb is on a distinguished road
My friends who purchased R8's felt the same way. Definite road presence, but the V8 was slow and heavy. Sounds amazing though and handles well despite the weight.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:31 PM
jagged155 will become famous soon enough
Currently have a R8 V10 6-speed manual coupe. Love the car. Will be replaced by the final year of the R8, which will most likely be a 2019 or 2020. Can't beat the gated manual and is definitely a future collectable. Might part with it.... PM me if interested

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.