Audi S4, S6, RS4, RS6, R8 etc.
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

RS4 Anyone??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 11:02 PM
Paul S is infamous around these parts
If anyone hears about a non-premium package Avus RS4 available, please let me know.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 PM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by angryswede
wow, the ignorance regarding the RS4 in this thread is pretty amazing. Audi's RS series is hand built by their Quattro GmbH division in limited numbers, which signals an end to the current model.

Similarity to A4: Sure, the same way the GT2 is the same as a C2. The only differences are the engine, transmission, quattro system, rear diff, suspension, brakes, body panels and interior, other than that - they're identical.

S4 vs RS4 - there's really not much of a comparison. I drove my friend's S4 2 days before I drove the RS4. The difference between the S4 + RS4 is pretty similar to the difference between my 3.0 and my friend's S4.

RS4 vs e46 M3 - I don't know what magazine you read, but everything I've seen that tried to compare the two picked the RS4.

RS4 vs e90 M3 - That will be a battle which the M3 will probably win. They're different platforms though. The M3 is based on the new BMW 3 sseries platform which came out in what, 05? The RS4 is based on the 02 A4 platform. I'd hope that BMW would build a car superior to the RS4 since they know what they're going after.

RS4 vs C55 / whatever - are you kidding? The C isn't in the same sport let alone ballgame. It's on par with the S4.

It's funny that the only people really hating on the RS4 are the "BMW" people. Everyone else just accepts that it's a really good car.
Regardless of the upgrades, its an A4 platform and an older one at that. V. the E90, Audi damn well knows where M division is in it development cycle and competes accordingly. I think it is good call in that the RS4 is available during the M3 hiatus because if it had to compete head to head I don't think it would do well. Other than quattro or being a huge audi fan I can't see it getting picked over an M3 on Price/Performance.

I owned a C55 and it was a fantastic car. It is very underrated primarily cause it is not offered with a manual, but posts lap times on par with the M3. I drove it back to back with the S4 and it was no brainer.

The next gen C AMG will undoubtedly offer a 400+ HP car and you would be foolish to count it out before the fact. The RS4 has not been putting up consistently good numbers to date either.

Let me say that I think it really is a great car, I'm sure I would love it, I really like my C55 and M3, I have no reason to think I wouldn't love an RS4, I just think its a bit overhyped and its definetly pricey. That said, very cool car.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:22 AM
firewired is infamous around these parts
When you look at the fact that the RS4 can be on the same track and compete with the likes of the M6, M5, Z06, Dodge Viper SRT-10, Ford GT, Mercedes CLK DTM AMG, Maserati Grandsport, Aston Martin Vantage, C4S, (R&T 8/06) but then has the ability to be easily driven as a daily driver you realize what a versatile and amazing piece of machinery Audi has built in the RS4. The car's price begins to look like a relative bargain as well.

I don't think that the M3 price will be too far from the RS4's price. Not with the strength of the Euro and the weakness of the dollar. A company can only hedge prices so far into the future and then have adjust prices.

Attached Images    

Last edited by firewired; 07-04-2006 at 06:27 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:59 AM
SD1
SD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura aboutSD1 has a spectacular aura about
Firewired, thanks for the link, that was great. I can't read German but the times and speeds have opened my eyes a bit.

Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 AM
henryr is infamous around these partshenryr is infamous around these parts
and yet R&T has the RS4 lapping 2 seconds behind a 997 C4S........

imho, the car is way overpriced.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:42 AM
firewired is infamous around these parts
???? 2 seconds
C4S Base = $87,100
Carrera S Base = $81,400
RS4 Base = $66,000

How is that way overpriced for a car that can even be on the same track with them, have amazing build quality, seat four and drive as a daily driver?

I come from a 5 BMW car background with 2 recent E46 M3, a 996 911, and I am astounded by the car. I am still 100 miles short of break-in so I haven't been able to max the r.p.m. But the car reminds me a lot of my 911 in the sense that it isn't only about numbers, but the all around package. Despite having had the privilege to have driven such amazing car like that I can't tell you how happy every-time I am to get behind the wheel. I was concerned about so many things about the car prior to delivery from having looked at the numbers before driving it. I am not trying to rationalize my own purchase, and say this is the best car for everyone, it is just the perfect car for me. I am not tracking it, I am just a car and driving enthusiast who needed the practicality of a four seat daily driver, that was safe, could be driven in all weather, and would make me smile every time I was driving from point A to B. The 911 for sure did that, and if the Panamera was out I would definitely look at that.

Things that I was worried about prior to delivery were the numbers. The weight of the car, what I perceived to be relatively low torque numbers, (My lighter 545 had more torque), the front end bias of the car. What astounds me is what feels like the cars ability to defy the laws of physics, and the numbers. It reminds me of when I would drive my 911. Sure there were cars that had more horsepower, or torque, but when you drove it you just knew that it was the real deal and had the whole package. The same goes for me when I drive my RS4, I definitely feel like I got value for my money.

The car has an exhaust note which is like an aria, and I haven't been allowed to fully make it sing yet. It speaks to the soul of any car enthusiast.

You may have already heard it, but just listen to this sound from this French Audi Ad:

http://www.audi.fr/actualite/teaserrs4/filmdef/film.htm

The brakes are surreal. I feel like I just begin to think about stopping and I am there, all without any complaint, squeal, or nose dip. The stick is the stick I had in my 911, that I was always trying to get in the M3 with trying different short shifter kits (UUC motorwerks, etc... you name it.) I pull corners and I amazed the car transcends all the weight that I was worried about, and stays completely flat through the bends. I think this might have to from a lot of things to include from the dynamic ride control they brought from the RS6 (http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/to...rol__DRC_.html) The way that everything is driver centered reminds me of my old BMWs, not like the sitting behind the desk feeling I got sitting in my 545 or driving the E90s. It also has a fit and finish, attention to every detail that I felt was there in Porsche, but was lacking in most other cars.

I feel that this is a world class car, that is in the same league with cars which cost much more than it, and is similarly a limited production vehicle.

Last edited by firewired; 07-04-2006 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:11 PM
German Driver is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by firewired
???? 2 seconds
C4S Base = $87,100
Carrera S Base = $81,400
RS4 Base = $66,000

How is that way overpriced for a car that can even be on the same track with them, have amazing build quality, seat four and drive as a daily driver?

I come from a 5 BMW car background with 2 recent E46 M3, a 996 911, and I am astounded by the car. I am still 100 miles short of break-in so I haven't been able to max the r.p.m. But the car reminds me a lot of my 911 in the sense that it isn't only about numbers, but the all around package. Despite having had the privilege to have driven such amazing car like that I can't tell you how happy every-time I am to get behind the wheel. I was concerned about so many things about the car prior to delivery from having looked at the numbers before driving it. I am not trying to rationalize my own purchase, and say this is the best car for everyone, it is just the perfect car for me. I am not tracking it, I am just a car and driving enthusiast who needed the practicality of a four seat daily driver, that was safe, could be driven in all weather, and would make me smile every time I was driving from point A to B. The 911 for sure did that, and if the Panamera was out I would definitely look at that.

Things that I was worried about prior to delivery were the numbers. The weight of the car, what I perceived to be relatively low torque numbers, (My lighter 545 had more torque), the front end bias of the car. What astounds me is what feels like the cars ability to defy the laws of physics, and the numbers. It reminds me of when I would drive my 911. Sure there were cars that had more horsepower, or torque, but when you drove it you just knew that it was the real deal and had the whole package. The same goes for me when I drive my RS4, I definitely feel like I got value for my money.

The car has an exhaust note which is like an aria, and I haven't been allowed to fully make it sing yet. It speaks to the soul of any car enthusiast.

You may have already heard it, but just listen to this sound from this French Audi Ad:

http://www.audi.fr/actualite/teaserrs4/filmdef/film.htm

The brakes are surreal. I feel like I just begin to think about stopping and I am there, all without any complaint, squeal, or nose dip. The stick is the stick I had in my 911, that I was always trying to get in the M3 with trying different short shifter kits (UUC motorwerks, etc... you name it.) I pull corners and I amazed the car transcends all the weight that I was worried about, and stays completely flat through the bends. I think this might have to from a lot of things to include from the dynamic ride control they brought from the RS6 (http://www.audi.co.uk/audi/uk/en2/to...rol__DRC_.html) The way that everything is driver centered reminds me of my old BMWs, not like the sitting behind the desk feeling I got sitting in my 545 or driving the E90s. It also has a fit and finish, attention to every detail that I felt was there in Porsche, but was lacking in most other cars.

I feel that this is a world class car, that is in the same league with cars which cost much more than it, and is similarly a limited production vehicle.
That was poetry... Honestly though, probably best write up from a driver/owner to date. I almost felt like I was in the drivers seat.

Old 07-04-2006, 03:21 PM
SD1
Firewire, does the car feel quick like bursts from a stop to 40-50 and how about roll ons, do you downshift or will it pull with satisfaction from low in the rev band? I agree, nice objective post/description.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:33 PM
YSITSMN is infamous around these parts
The only three arts of the car that are the same between the S4 and the RS4 are the front doors and the roof plate. Every other part is was designed just for the RS4. The only mag that would ever say that the M3 could beat the RS4 is BMW mag.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:30 AM
JonA4 is infamous around these parts
Nice write up Firewired. I made the pictures bigger for anyone interested.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:20 AM
BOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to beholdBOYRACER is a splendid one to behold
guys what we have to take into account is that the RS4 delivers performance with practicality. Yes the 911 and probably the new M3 will outperform the RS4 on the track but they will both also lose in the practicality section. The E46 m3 holds no candle to the new RS4. The RS4 is much more car but it is much newer as well. I think the two cars are being compared because Audi and Bmw compete with one another and therefore the S and M lines will always compete. If you break it down however you are actually comparing a 2-door RWD car to a 4-door AWD car. They are mechanically very different and that is why the M3 in the past has been more performance orientated. The RS4 is def the better "All Around" car and it is def NOT over priced. Both the M3 and RS4 are great cars and both deserve a ton of credit.

Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM
RPM
RPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by YSITSMN
The only three arts of the car that are the same between the S4 and the RS4 are the front doors and the roof plate. Every other part is was designed just for the RS4. The only mag that would ever say that the M3 could beat the RS4 is BMW mag.
Evo magazine chose the m3 zcp as a better all around performer than the RS4. Anyone who makes any comments comparing the e90 m3 vs. the rs4 should let me borrow their crystal ball because I need it to predict some IPOs as well. And if you're basing how the RS4 will compete against the v8 M3 based on how audi's have performed in the past, then take a look at how most magazines have roundly crowned the m3 king over both audi and mercedes. Except of course, Jeremy Clarkson, who is obviously the epitome of automotive knowledge.

Old 07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
Banned
786 is infamous around these parts
well said

so how is that grand caravan treatin ya?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:09 AM
RPM
RPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud ofRPM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 786
well said

so how is that grand caravan treatin ya?
haha...she has 91K and i just had her tuned up. just as i bought her.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Banned
CSudhoff is infamous around these parts
I have one in stock, no wait. PM or call (see signature)