Make: Volkswagen
Model: GTI
Price: $9500
Mileage: 97000
Color: White
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (State): AL
Drivetrain: Front Wheel Drive

Fair warning: If you just want a snapshot of the car, read the next paragraph and skip to the bottom.… If you are actually interested in the car as a possible purchase, the time reading the lengthy information should answer many questions and give you a good feel for both the owners and the car's development. I don’t personally find reading a simple bullet point list of modifications particularly helpful, but that is just me. I find adding detail helps avoid having to type the information multiple times in responding to emails, texts, PMs, or reviewing it in calls. Overall a big time saver for me, but I realize it can seem like a lot of information.

The quick snapshot: Professionally built 2009 GTI with and upgraded DSG gearbox and over $25,000 invested in its development. New motor at 43k due to stock oiling issue. K04 turbo system and tuning from APR. Extensive upgrades to suspension, brakes, exhaust, transmission, oiling system, intercooler, oil cooling, transmission cooling, etc. Powerful acceleration and handling that is simply stellar. Rock solid reliability and can be daily driven without a second thought.

With that said, a brief introduction about myself, some history on the last owner who developed the car, and then on to the car itself. I think context is important, especially when looking at a highly modified car. Anyone can buy parts to throw on a car, fewer people really work to develop a car’s potential with thought and planning. I’m a 54 year old psychologist and car enthusiast. I’ve been fortunate enough to have a wife of 30+ years that has been supportive of my hobby. I find joy in a variety of cars and different driving experiences. I’m happy to communicate about the car, but I also work some long days in federal facilities where I have no access to my phone and only limited access to the forums. That being said, an email (phdpsyla@yahoo.com) is likely to get the quickest response most days, especially those days when I am out of town for work (Thurs-Sat). I’m glad to provide my cell number to those that are interested in talking directly. For very interested parties, I can also put you in touch with the previous owner who has been so kind as to assist with the sale if needed.

A little under three years ago I was in the market for a fun weekend car and one that I could potentially use for the occasional HPDE weekend with my son. I’ve done maybe 20 HPDE weekends in previous cars and a few with my son. He was moving to Orlando to attend UCF and I had decided to sell my Audi S4 and split those funds between a fun car and a practical one (my weekly driving for work had then changed to about 1000 miles a week for a contract I was servicing). Sadly, with the demands my son’s rigorous engineering program, we never did get the GTI to the track since I purchased it. I am now selling the GTI as I am about to retake possession of the MK-III Toyota Supra Turbo I had sold to my father-in-law 17 years ago. With five additional vehicles, I simply do not have the space to keep everything.

I became aware that the chief instructor for one of the highly respected driving event organizers (Chintrackdays.com) that I drove with was selling his GTI. He had developed it initially as a spirited daily driver and car he could run on the track when an opportunity arose during some of the events where he was instructing. He later worked to look at the true potential of the platform, while never losing its street manners. At the time he decided to part with it, he had several other cars including his modified EVO X that he had been developing and driving to events. For the year prior to sale, the GTI had been garaged and only driven around the Memphis area to stretch its legs once in a while. The owner, who was in his 60s at the time, has a history in professional racing and had owned/run a performance shop in Memphis in the early to mid 2000s. He had moved on to full time writing and editing, but always maintained a connection with motor sports through various avenues including instructing. Long story short is that there was a lot of thought and planning that went into the car over time, not just an overnight build with the goal of “going faster”. This was evident in details like when 15 typed pages of “GTI setup theories” accompanied the records of the build. It is a very balanced approach that went through thoughtful stages over time. The focus was to develop a car that could perform at a high level and do it safely and reliably. The car had to retain street manners so that it could be enjoyed by he and his wife in general driving. It also had to be comfortable and have the reliability to drive several hundred miles to the tracks, do some track time, and return home without a second thought. Well done, on all counts. I’ve put 30,000 miles on the car with essentially nothing beyond typical vehicle maintenance needed. Sorry for the lengthy digression…. I swear there is a car for sale at the end of all this rambling!

The car started its life as a simple stock ’09 GTI with the DSG transmission. That’s how it remained with the original owner through the first 30,000 miles of its life. It was purchased by the gentleman I bought it from in mid 2013. Work not done himself (recall that he did own/run an independent shop…he’s very capable as a mechanic) was completed by Wolfsburg Automotive in Memphis. A highly reputable shop for German automobiles (Google and check for yourself if desired). Initially, the car would see only limited track time and was upgraded for a more general increase in performance. Modifications started with things such a general initial inspection, APR tune, upgraded fluids, performance brake pads, high performance tires, Motorwerks downpipe, and a Miltek cat back exhaust. It was enjoyed like this for close to a year and 13k miles before the more involved build began. It was learned that the TSI engine, as built by VW, had a flaw for track use at sustained higher g-loading. The rear bearing could become oil starved and lead to engine problems. This was identified when the engine did not seem to be producing the power and consistency that it had previously. As a result, a factory replacement was ordered from Germany and it was time to make needed preventative modifications and take it to a more serious level of performance.

With the installation of the new motor (at just over 43k miles), an APR 2.0 K04 Turbocharger system was installed along with an updated APR tune. An Accusump oiling system and a Mocal Setrab oil cooler were paired with a Worttec baffled aluminum oil pan to remove any concerns related to oiling or oil temperatures. The Wortec pan added some additional capacity, better cooling, and improved baffling to ensure intake tube was always covered under any driving circumstances.

An APR Carbonio carbon fiber intake system and larger Wagner intercooler would drop intake temps and keep incoming air temps at bay during more extended performance use. The DSG, while an amazing unit, was also proactively addressed with Sidewinder stage 1 DSG clutch Pack 02E (500 ft/lbs) and a DSG Stage 2 Track Package Titan Series Transmission Cooler set up. The latter being a very detailed kit with top notch components.

Beyond the drivetrain, serious suspension development was pursued. A Whiteline handling kit (sway bars, bushings, dog bone, etc.) was installed and put to work with a custom Ground Control Coilover set up (owner was friends with the owner of Ground Control). Ground control Camber plates allow for precise alignment specs to the owner’s desire. Various spring combinations were utilized to find the desired balance. Handling is simply superb with spot on steering and response. It swallows tight twisty roads and is capable of carrying so much speed through corners with confidence that you will do a double take at the speedo should you glance down. I’m sure you could make adjustments to your desired taste, but I have been so impressed with the set-up that I have never even been tempted to change a single thing.

Braking was handled by an upgraded StopTech Touring kit (largest that would work with the desired 17” wheels). The StopTech kit allowed for a wide range of pad choices suited for any circumstance. StopTech Sport performance street pads are presently installed at all four corners. These provide very solid day to day performance with no squealing at all. Some additional track oriented Carbotech pads #10 front/#8 rear are boxed somewhere in the garage. Of course there are stainless braided lines and high temp racing brake fluid. 81mm bullet nosed wheel studs. Six lightweight OZ Racing Alleggerita wheels were purchased. All six were mounted with high performance tires and were rotated regularly. A 235/45/17 is the preferred size. This provides many different tire options and pricing that hands down beats 18”s. For those that will ask, there is no rubbing with this set up, and the alignment not so aggressive as to cause excessive wear on the inner sections. The wheels do not have the TPMS sensors, so that light remains lit on the dash.

There is simply so much to list that I’m sure some things will be overlooked. Inside the cabin, additional gauges for oil temp and oil pressure have been added to the hood over the column. An Eclip Tech curved model progressive and fully programmable shift lights is mounted at the top of the cluster. I simply have it turned off for general day to day use. Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses (5pt driver, 4pt passenger) can be intalled in a matter of a couple minutes when desired, and removed and stowed just as easily for daily use. The standard seat belts of course remain in place and are fully functional. There are toggle switches for both the transmission cooler and Accusump system near the light controls. These can remain off for general use or turned on as desired in high performance situations.

All the general comfort features are retained and work well. Cruise, power windows/locks, power sunroof. A/C is very cold, heated seats are a welcome place of respite on cool days. I personally love the cloth seats with the seat heaters. First car I’ve owned that had both. I’m personally not a big fan of battling either hot or cold leather throughout the year. Plus, I find the plaid adds some additional character. Radio sounds surprisingly good. The CD player gave me an error when trying to play a CD I had burned shortly after purchase, but I never thought much of it as I generally listen to the radio or plug in my phone through the Aux jack.

As I mentioned early on, I’ve put 30k miles of smiles on the car under my ownership. It has taken me on many lengthy road trips without any difficulties and I would drive it coast to coast today without a second thought. I currently commute a 650 mile round trip each week to a facility in Western MS. While my Prius does the brunt of that work, I take the GTI at least monthly just because it is so much more fun to drive. Cruising at 80mph on the interstate, it returns a consistent 28-29mpg. Take the smaller highways at 60-65 and surpassing 30mpg is no problem.

I was trying to think about what I have had done to the car during my ownership, and the resulting list is pretty short beyond your typical oil and fluid changes. I replaced the diverter valve with an upgraded unit from ECS tuning when the original one developed a small tear. I’ve replaced a couple coil packs and the spark plugs. The PCV valve was recently replaced along with a headlight bulb. A brake light wire that had come loose was repaired. The TSB related to the ABS module was completed and covered by VW under warranty. They replaced the ABS control module and updated the associated software. I also had the blower motor and resistor replaced for the climate control fan unit. I just installed new Nitto Invo tires a couple hundred miles ago. A set of good Bridgestone RE11R tires are also included. They have incredible grip, but in anticipation of the heavy rains we often get during winter months, I opted for going ahead and getting something with full tread depth in case I got caught in a deluge on a week when I drove it to work in MS and back.

The body and paint are in very good condition. The front bumper cover received minor damage following a sub 5mph parking lot incident, and was replaced a few years ago. The car has been garaged most of its life and I wash and wax it regularly. There are a couple dings on the passenger side from parking lots over the years. The interior is very clean, with very nice seats and trim. The car has never been a smoker’s car. As with most GTIs of this era, there are a couple places in the rear where the headliner had started to sag. I had pinned these in place when I got the car and they have largely remained unchanged in the past three years. I was quoted about $450 to replace the entire headliner, but I soon realized that I never even really noticed it given that it was in the rear. There is an airbag light that has come on three times in the past three years. The dealership said it is related to an intermittent loss of signal from the passenger seat occupancy sensor, but was fine when they checked it. Unfortunately, you need to have Vagcom software to reset it, or take it to the dealer. It had been off for over a year and then popped back on last summer. They checked it and reset the light in July when they did the ABS module etc. and it remained off until the week of Christmas. The nearest dealer is close to an hour away and I simply have not had time to address it. The “I” on the GTI front grill emblem came off a couple weeks ago when my microfiber towel caught the edge of it when drying the car. I ordered a replacement, but went to install it and could not locate it last weekend. I'll be ordering another one if I don't locate the one I bought recently.

The car is simply a complete joy to drive. It brings on a rush of acceleration when desired and will outperform cars many, many times more expensive on twisty roads. The DSG transmission clicks off shifts immediately and the upgraded brakes will haul it to a stop repeatedly without complaint. It is a car that instills confidence in the driver and will bring endless smiles to a proud owner.

All in all, there were over $17,000 in modifications and $7,000+ is associated labor. This does not include all the labor the previous owner did himself or the $4,500 for the new engine at 43k miles (Good to keep in mind that the engine actually only has about 50K miles on it). Included in the sale with the car are the two extra wheels with a pair of good Kumho Ecsta 200 treadwear tires, the set of four Bridgestone RE71R tires, an extra set of springs that are slightly softer, the Carbotech track brake pads, the two Schroth harnesses, and a thick folder of paperwork on the car. I'm asking $9800 for the entire package.

Last edited by Phdpsy; 05-27-2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Price change
Old 01-26-2020, 07:11 PM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Good looking clean toy OP! about how much WHP you think she's making?

Old 01-27-2020, 09:18 AM
Phdpsy is on a distinguished road
It is on the most conservative tune APR has for the car with this kit. Should be around 300hp/300TQ at the wheels. They have another optional 93 octane tune that would add about another 20-30whp and TQ, but I certainly have never felt the need for it. There are some folks running custom tunes with this kit that are closer to 400whp, but again, it depends on what you are looking to do with the car. I have not been one to chase numbers. I really to look at what power can you actually utilize and have a car that is very enjoyable and you can drive without worry about some possible mechanical failure. My past GT500 put down 800whp, but was a miserable thing to drive. I backed it down 200hp and had a car that I could once again enjoy.

I'm also planning on getting an updated Carfax run later today that I'd be happy to share with folks since I've had a couple folks ask.

A couple other things. I live in Orange Beach, AL and would of course be glad to show the car if anyone is near by. The exhaust is not loud or obnoxious at all. There is no drone and the car could be driven on the highway for hours at a time without a second thought. I have a quick drive by video I can send to anyone interested.

Last edited by Phdpsy; 01-27-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Trying to upload a video clip from my phone, let’s see if I can get it to work...

Apparently not

Last edited by Phdpsy; 01-27-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:02 AM
Price reduction to $10,700 with all extras
I have the Carfax if desired. A couple had inquired about this. I also have a drive by video available.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:28 PM
Price update. Deposit was received and buyer backed out due to stock market shift.

Old 03-16-2020, 04:29 PM
arjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond reputearjayr33 has a reputation beyond repute
Great toy to have! I'm trying to sell my 09 WRX 5 speed FBOs (BC coil overs, tune,short shifter) and looking for an extra daily driver in automatic. If not, glws

Old 03-16-2020, 10:59 PM
giacuser is an unknown quantity at this point
Very nice car. I have a 2008 GTI that was setup very similar from engine to suspension and brakes/tires and I enjoyed years of fun on street and track. This is a very special car and unfortunately most folks don't have an idea of just how much fun they are or how fast they are. If you were closer and I could see the car I would probably buy it just to have two of them. Sweet ride and a fantastic value that will surprise a lot of folks at the track, trust me I know first hand. Darn wish I was closer.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by arjayr33
Great toy to have! I'm trying to sell my 09 WRX 5 speed FBOs (BC coil overs, tune,short shifter) and looking for an extra daily driver in automatic. If not, glws
The WRX is a fun platform to play with for sure. Too bad I’m trying to clear space for the Supra.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:51 AM
giacuser is an unknown quantity at this point
I read through the description of the trans work. Does this also have an LSD, I would be surprised if prev owner didn't put one in give all the other great stuff he did.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:02 AM
Price drop $9800

Old 04-08-2020, 06:26 PM
I assume it does have an LSD or does not?

Old 04-08-2020, 08:31 PM
My apologies. It does not have an LSD. I clarified with the previous owner to be sure.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:21 AM
hudd07 is on a distinguished road
Free bump. If my kid was old enough to drive I’d buy this for her but alas she’s only 3.5. Love the car. Price is right. GLWS

Old 05-27-2020, 11:38 AM
Had gotten distracted from all car related things due to the COVID-19 issues. Getting back in the swing of things now. $9500.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Highly developed 2009 Volkswagen GTI