Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Location (State):

ERP/RPS Triple Carbon Clutch Review/Install Pics

Old 07-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by prodigymb
I actually called Champion with intention of buying same day and was told to wait for a call back, no one from your shop bothered calling me back to take a $4000 clutch order.
Really sorry about that man. That's definitely not the norm. There's only a couple of us here so I'm surprised that no one got back to you. I get a little swamped sometimes but I always try to at least send a quick "I didn't forget about you" email or call. My apologies.

Old 07-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
We've been selling and installing this clutch for just about a year now. It's gone into both our project GT2's, all of our 68mmm 997TT builds, and lots of other customer cars. In terms of drivability and being able to handle the power, it's top notch in my opinion. The aluminum flywheel can be a little trick, but with the steel you can't go wrong.

Feel free to contact me if you guys need any help getting one. I think our pricing is pretty fair too, compared to what some others have been selling it for.
The steel was tricky too.. Great product.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:09 PM
kennyjr748 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for posting this! I emailed ERP to find out if this would benefit our GT2 that is relatively stock (Speedtech exhaust only). I thought I would share with the board what Cary wrote back to me:

"The twin disk will hold over 800 lbs of torque which will hold the power of your engine but, in general I recommend triple disk for ALL Turbo water cars because it's fairly easy to keep turning the power up and twin disk for NA engines. The triple disk will also last longer in your car. With that said, if you know you'll never up the power and you're not looking to put 40,000 miles on your car anytime soon the twin will be fine. They both use the same cover so, you can also up grade fairly reasonable to triple in the future if you wanted. The Twin complete with flywheel is just under 21 lbs and the trip is just under 22 lbs. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. BTW, we also offer it with a steel flywheel which some people prefer and you must run on a 964 which is about 7 lbs heavier........... Thx, Cary"

We'll probably go with one of these clutches when our stock clutch goes out. 38k miles on our GT2(life is better when you get to daily drive a GT2 ) and the stock clutch is still holding up. I'm sure it's due to the fact that we haven't done any tuning and have stayed with the stock turbos. Our first 996 TT had to get a new clutch weeks after EPL did a flash with k16 hybrids...

Old 08-09-2012, 08:17 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kennyjr748
Thanks for posting this! I emailed ERP to find out if this would benefit our GT2 that is relatively stock (Speedtech exhaust only). I thought I would share with the board what Cary wrote back to me:

"The twin disk will hold over 800 lbs of torque which will hold the power of your engine but, in general I recommend triple disk for ALL Turbo water cars because it's fairly easy to keep turning the power up and twin disk for NA engines. The triple disk will also last longer in your car. With that said, if you know you'll never up the power and you're not looking to put 40,000 miles on your car anytime soon the twin will be fine. They both use the same cover so, you can also up grade fairly reasonable to triple in the future if you wanted. The Twin complete with flywheel is just under 21 lbs and the trip is just under 22 lbs. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. BTW, we also offer it with a steel flywheel which some people prefer and you must run on a 964 which is about 7 lbs heavier........... Thx, Cary"

We'll probably go with one of these clutches when our stock clutch goes out. 38k miles on our GT2(life is better when you get to daily drive a GT2 ) and the stock clutch is still holding up. I'm sure it's due to the fact that we haven't done any tuning and have stayed with the stock turbos. Our first 996 TT had to get a new clutch weeks after EPL did a flash with k16 hybrids...

yeah both the twin and the triple will hold a lot of power. you can probably make close to a 1000whp on the twin...

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Banned
k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !k-ore Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tom@Champion
We've been selling and installing this clutch for just about a year now. It's gone into both our project GT2's, all of our 68mmm 997TT builds, and lots of other customer cars. In terms of drivability and being able to handle the power, it's top notch in my opinion. The aluminum flywheel can be a little trick, but with the steel you can't go wrong.

Feel free to contact me if you guys need any help getting one. I think our pricing is pretty fair too, compared to what some others have been selling it for.
Can you msg me a price on a twin & triple for 996tt fitment, thx?

Old 08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by vntperformance
Can you msg me a price on a twin & triple for 996tt fitment, thx?
Sure thing, PM on the way...

Old 08-31-2012, 08:53 AM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
In April I got word that RPS has been producing private label clutch designed by ERP. Instnatly got my attention because few ex-vette owners sware by RPS triple and twin carbon clutches. Driveablity and power handling was suppsoed to be amazing.

I have the new Version 4 in my car with the light weight flywheel and I will say it is fabulous. The light weight FW does not hinder the useability at all, actually it increases it due to quick rev matches for down shift throttle blips.

Like others have mentioned; the quality is there and the clutch is very user friendly. It is easy to modulate, it is smooth and it takes power really well. It is more cluch then my car needed but the overkill does not come at the expense of driveability like many clutches do.

Pic attached of actual Porsche unit on an engine and a bench.

Fabulous clutch, the ACT unit that was in my car before was so disgustingly hair trigger like it made for way to many rookie moments if one was not paying complete attention. Cary built himself a very decent part with this Gen 4 unit.

Attached Images   
Old 09-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Basic Sponsor
Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !Mark @ AIM Performance Is a GOD !
I have the LWFW too but they have two versions. Bilelt Alum and SS, I have the SS which is the heavier of the two. I am still enjoying my clutch, its been holding 800+ whp all season. So far so good, I am really glad a few guys put me onto this product.

Originally Posted by Engine Guy
I have the new Version 4 in my car with the light weight flywheel and I will say it is fabulous. The light weight FW does not hinder the useability at all, actually it increases it due to quick rev matches for down shift throttle blips.

Like others have mentioned; the quality is there and the clutch is very user friendly. It is easy to modulate, it is smooth and it takes power really well. It is more cluch then my car needed but the overkill does not come at the expense of driveability like many clutches do.

Pic attached of actual Porsche unit on an engine and a bench.

Fabulous clutch, the ACT unit that was in my car before was so disgustingly hair trigger like it made for way to many rookie moments if one was not paying complete attention. Cary built himself a very decent part with this Gen 4 unit.

997TT SlowBerry - 205.0 mph 1/2 Mile WR Nov 2018, 9.7 @ 170 mph 1/4 Mile , 3.2 60-130 mph , 2.4 100-150 mph , 1420whp E85
ESMOTOR | DO88 | TPC DSC | SYVECS | COBB | IPD | KLINE | XONA | AMS | ID | ERP | SACHS | TURBOSMART | CSF | DODSON |
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !Steve Theodore Is a GOD !
I appreciate this thread, thanks for the inputs...particularly concerning drive ability since I've purchased multi-plate clutches in the past for another application (Supra) and was not impressed with the end result. So, I do care about that stuff now and would make a clutch buying decision based on that, all else being equal.

I'm sure that others who originally missed this thread can benefit from this information too.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !Engine Guy Is a GOD !
I have the LWFW too but they have two versions. Bilelt Alum and SS, I have the SS which is the heavier of the two. I am still enjoying my clutch, its been holding 800+ whp all season. So far so good, I am really glad a few guys put me onto this product.
I have the light wt Aluminum in my car and I would not have it any other way. I really see no downside to it from a drive ability standpoint. This is a seriously good clutch. If I had to complain it suffers from a slight amount of jutter when reversing while slipping the clutch but that is just looking for something to complain about.

Sorry I do not get what you guys are saying is tricky about the light wt Aluminum or light weight steel FW???

Last edited by Engine Guy; 11-19-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 PM
Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !Tim941NYC Is a GOD !
They are both lwfw's but the aluminum one is lighter. While I am here lets update.. I have been testing boost by gear and no lift shifting with my ERP triple, I am producing 1050 ft lbs of torque @31 psi. No slipping unless I want it. Very happy with clutch at this time.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 AM
Basic Sponsor
There has veen some revisions to the ERP clutch and Cary was nice enough to send me the latest and greatest v4 clutches and hub design which is the same setup as in Tims car. My car was one of teh early adopters of this setup so i had a slightly different setup. The hub is larger and centers the clutches better. I never had issues with my prior setup, but its nice to get the latest and greatest. you can also see the metal center plates in the clutch are full circle and not 4 petals, tehy are also thinner now leaving more room for carbon friction area. Tim and I were happy with the condition of the old discs after 4k miles of HARD driving or so there was zero clutch slip. Old discs are darker from all the burnt carbon dust, we didnt clean them.

left - new , right - old. notice the longer hub design on teh left...

more carbon, less metal

with the updated hub ..

notice the center metal disc. less metal, more carbon. we like ....

Attached Images      
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 AM
morpheus is on a distinguished road
Been researching clutches for awhile now, starting by reading the Sachs catalog. Decided a triple carbon was the way to go for power and engagement for my 996 TT. I thought I wanted the Carbonetics, but found they were no longer available. Saw this thread which resulted in my ordering the ERP triple from Champion. The deed is done, but my only concern is I cannot find anything on line about ERP directly. Do they have a website?

Old 03-22-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned
2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future2swoosh has a brilliant future
hey Mark, thanks by the way for hooking my tuner up with the triple it will help my build a lot.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by morpheus
Been researching clutches for awhile now, starting by reading the Sachs catalog. Decided a triple carbon was the way to go for power and engagement for my 996 TT. I thought I wanted the Carbonetics, but found they were no longer available. Saw this thread which resulted in my ordering the ERP triple from Champion. The deed is done, but my only concern is I cannot find anything on line about ERP directly. Do they have a website?

I do not know if Carry's website is still up, what concerns you?

Really nothing to worry about, many members here use the things now and it is a clutch that just works brilliantly. If you need his personal work number that can be done. The clutchs are sold under the RPS label mainly as ERP is more of a whole sale outfit but they do some of there own brand stuff.

http://www.turboclutch.com/Pages/RPS%20BC3M%20LSX.htm

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ERP/RPS Triple Carbon Clutch Review/Install Pics