Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Thinking of Taking the Plunge!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Ice's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura about
Thinking of Taking the Plunge!!!

Hey Guys. I am thinking abouy buying or leasing a Bentley GT. Thinking about an 05 or 06. I have some questions and I would love some advice.

1. Are there any diffrences from te 05 and 06?

2. I am driving about 600 miles a week is the car a good daily driver?

3 Should I buy a Mulliner?

4. What should I look for in these cars before I buy one?

5. What are the problems or dissapointment's that you have now that you own one?

All feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ice

Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 AM
alkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura aboutalkyoneus has a spectacular aura about
600 miles a week, thats pretty steep. I'm sure you'll have 600 fun miles though.
Why dont you wait a few months until the new gt speed debuts and prices drop a little bit on the older gts

Old 10-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Ice's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura aboutIce's 996tt Cab has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for your reply!!!!!!!!!

When is the GT Speed coming out?

Yeah 600 miles a week is a drag but if you enjoy driving it's a piece of cake.

Ice

Old 10-18-2007, 08:23 PM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Ice's 996tt Cab
I am driving about 600 miles a week
just curious to what lease terms you are getting for driving 32000+ miles a year?

Old 10-18-2007, 09:42 PM
I am not getting any lease quotes as of yet. I will call Premier Financial as I did with my Porsche and do a lease to own. They have great deals.

I am still looking for answers to my questions.!!!!!!!!

Ice

Old 10-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Ernie57 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ice's 996tt Cab
Hey Guys. I am thinking abouy buying or leasing a Bentley GT. Thinking about an 05 or 06. I have some questions and I would love some advice.

1. Are there any diffrences from te 05 and 06?

2. I am driving about 600 miles a week is the car a good daily driver?

3 Should I buy a Mulliner?

4. What should I look for in these cars before I buy one?

5. What are the problems or dissapointment's that you have now that you own one?

All feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ice
Hello Iceman...

I will try to answer your questions as honestly as possible.

1. I believe that the differences between the 06' of 05's are extremely subtle if any. If you found one of each with low mileage I'd buy the cheaper one and use the savings to add some bling or power items.

2. In mid August I took my CGT from Vancouver Canada down to Jackson Hole Wyoming. Drove straight through there and back over 13 hours each way. I have lower and mid back problems and I can tell you that the car is very comfortable to drive for long and short distances.

3. Mine is not a Mulliner, but neither am I a fan of the diamond tuffted interior that they do. In this case I would say "if you like the package, take it".

4. Just the obvious. Low mileage, no accidents and proper maintenance.

5. My only beef with this car is related to the Navigation system and the in- car phone unit. The Nav software is one of the worst I've seen. In a car that was built with money being not much of an issue, my wife's 04' Jag has a far better system that gives great street detail and has a "QWERTY" touch screen to make entries. The CGT has no touch screen, the software will not show individual streets and the entry is done by scroll wheel that takes forever to make an entry. As for the phone system, it's ok, but I don't like the fact that if I take the phone out and enter new contacts, the in-car system will not upload those at all. All entries have to be made while the unit is docked in the car, and once again you have to use the wheel to make your entries.

I've had mine now since late December and have put close to 7,000 miles on it. It has given me no trouble and I still think it is one of the sexiest cars on the road today.

Ernie...

Old 10-19-2007, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Ernie57
Hello Iceman...

I will try to answer your questions as honestly as possible.

1. I believe that the differences between the 06' of 05's are extremely subtle if any. If you found one of each with low mileage I'd buy the cheaper one and use the savings to add some bling or power items.

2. In mid August I took my CGT from Vancouver Canada down to Jackson Hole Wyoming. Drove straight through there and back over 13 hours each way. I have lower and mid back problems and I can tell you that the car is very comfortable to drive for long and short distances.

3. Mine is not a Mulliner, but neither am I a fan of the diamond tuffted interior that they do. In this case I would say "if you like the package, take it".

4. Just the obvious. Low mileage, no accidents and proper maintenance.

5. My only beef with this car is related to the Navigation system and the in- car phone unit. The Nav software is one of the worst I've seen. In a car that was built with money being not much of an issue, my wife's 04' Jag has a far better system that gives great street detail and has a "QWERTY" touch screen to make entries. The CGT has no touch screen, the software will not show individual streets and the entry is done by scroll wheel that takes forever to make an entry. As for the phone system, it's ok, but I don't like the fact that if I take the phone out and enter new contacts, the in-car system will not upload those at all. All entries have to be made while the unit is docked in the car, and once again you have to use the wheel to make your entries.

I've had mine now since late December and have put close to 7,000 miles on it. It has given me no trouble and I still think it is one of the sexiest cars on the road today.

Ernie...

Ernie thatnk you so much for your reply. I was wondering if anyone would ever help me.

It sounds as If you have an amazing car. I Love the Cabriolet. Living down in So. Cal I get a chance to see a few and they are beautiful. Great Lines. I wish it was financially practical for me to have one now.

I am sorry to hear about the Nava and Phone issues. I don't understand why Bentley would not have better engineering on these items.

I am going to test drive a few this weekend and will post an update on my findings.

Thanks again for your input.

Ice

Old 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM
CAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond reputeCAPTLST has a reputation beyond repute
Bentley has updated the NAV issue. It is now a DVD based system.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:16 PM
IIVVX will become famous soon enoughIIVVX will become famous soon enough
you guys cant call the conti a "CGT"

Old 10-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Ernie57 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CAPTLST
Bentley has updated the NAV issue. It is now a DVD based system.
It may have been updated to a dedicated DVD system but in 05' (my model year) there was far better technology out there and one could of expected more from a car with a base price of nearly $200K.

I've asked the dealer here about upgrading to the newer version and was quoted a price of nearly $15K (for that price I can install a full HD Home Theatre in the car). And the system still uses the scroll wheel for entry. As I said in my earlier reply, my wife's 04' Jag has a system in it that makes the Bentley unit look like an early Pong unit compared to an XBOX!

Ernie...

Old 10-20-2007, 06:19 PM
SuperVixen is on a distinguished road
Here are the changes from 05 to 06.

Same body. Mulliner was not available till 06. I think it's really pretty. You get the diamond stitching on the sits, 3 piece 20 inch wheels, wood and leather steering wheel, drilled alloy foot pedals, and sportier gear shifter.

The changes are subtle from 05 to 06, but they are nice. In 2006 they introduced keyless drive, door suck ins, and trunk open and close automatically.

They also went from 6 CDs for navigation to 1 DVD. The phone system is better too.

The GT Speed come out in December and will command a 25k premium over the regular GT. Both models will be available to purchase and the 552hp GT will not have any body changes from previous years.

It is a great daily driver and I am looking to pick up a pre-owned one as well. They just started offering extended warranty so that is a nice bonus, especially if you get it CPO from a dealer.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2007, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by SuperVixen
Here are the changes from 05 to 06.

Same body. Mulliner was not available till 06. I think it's really pretty. You get the diamond stitching on the sits, 3 piece 20 inch wheels, wood and leather steering wheel, drilled alloy foot pedals, and sportier gear shifter.

The changes are subtle from 05 to 06, but they are nice. In 2006 they introduced keyless drive, door suck ins, and trunk open and close automatically.

They also went from 6 CDs for navigation to 1 DVD. The phone system is better too.

The GT Speed come out in December and will command a 25k premium over the regular GT. Both models will be available to purchase and the 552hp GT will not have any body changes from previous years.

It is a great daily driver and I am looking to pick up a pre-owned one as well. They just started offering extended warranty so that is a nice bonus, especially if you get it CPO from a dealer.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for your input. It was very helpful. It seems that the 06 is the better way to go.

Thanks again,

Ice

Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 PM
xxweisxxm6 is on a distinguished road
stay away from those negative leases some dealers offer as you end up always owing more than wat you payed.