Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Please help!!! Steering wheel vibration FSpur

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM
mario911c4s is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Please help!!! Steering wheel vibration FSpur

2007 Flying Spur with original 19" wheels originally.

Purchased the car new and had problems with steering wheel vibration (bad) between 40 to 60 mph since day one. Wheels replaced, fixed, rebalanced and road force balanced. They keep telling me its normal. Long wheelbase AWD etc.....some shaking to be expected.

Drove a 2010 to compare. Same thing at around 50mph

Finally i purchased a new set of MHT 22" with Conti's. It's even worse now. Anybody else with the same problem or a solution.

please help.

thanks,

mario

Old 11-15-2009, 02:36 PM
JerryS is on a distinguished road
Steering Wheel Vibration

I owned a 2006 Continental Flying Spur, and presently have a 2010 model. I had similar problems with the 2006. In addition, I had to change out the 20" wheels that came with the car for 19" wheels, because i was buying new low-profile tires like they cost $2. At the best price I could get, they cost $500 each. The low profiles could not handle the pot holes in the suburban Philadelphia streets.

I was able to get an almost new set of standard wheels and tires from a company in CA through ebay. They took the old set in exchange, saving me money.

I always complained about the wheel vibrations. They charged $1200 to balance and align the 4 wheels, but the problem was still there. BUT THE DEALER SAID THEY WERE FINE. I had a local mechanic do the work for much less, and with better results. But not perfect.

Now I got the 2010. I complained at the 1000 mile service. They couldn't find anything wrong. The new car isn't as bad as the old was, but this old driver knows when something is out of balance.

A friend of mine had similar problems with an S class years ago. It turned out to be an out of balance drive shaft.

I think the way to eliminate the problem is to let your best local mechanic look at it. Don't forget to align 4 wheels. Balance. If it is still there, just ignore it. It doesn't seem to get any worse, and the rest of the car is certainly enjoyable.

Good luck.
JerryS

Old 01-05-2010, 04:52 PM
bentley621 is on a distinguished road
Flat spots in the tires are very common in these cars, especially if it isn't your daily driver. They have a procedure they use to rectify this problem, I would suggest you ask about this your next time at the dealer. The tire can still be balanced and have flat spots. Bentley now sells an acessory to put under the tires when storing the car to prevent this from happening.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the information. Even though the car is used almost every day, the trips are local, and the tires usually don't get warm. I will check with the dealer.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 AM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Very interesting. I don't have vibration in the steering wheel but I definitely feel vibration from somewhere and was thinking the drive shaft. The tires are fine and balanced and I've had the vibration with the stock wheels and the snow wheels.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:28 AM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by raclaims
Very interesting. I don't have vibration in the steering wheel but I definitely feel vibration from somewhere and was thinking the drive shaft. The tires are fine and balanced and I've had the vibration with the stock wheels and the snow wheels.
Seriously!? Is this I should expect to get if I'll buy a $250k bentley??? I haven't heard about his before.

Is there really a vibration in GT speed at 40mph? I'm planning to get 2009 Speed, but this really puts my plans on hold...

Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
It's only when the car is cold and goes away after about 5 mins
maybe it's an air suspension problem but I will being it in and have the dealer look at it

every new car has some minor issues so don't let it scare you off
the car is totally amazing and worth the money

Old 01-06-2010, 12:10 PM
What an interesting thread! Between us, we have had winter tires, low profile tires, stock tires. We drive the GT, the Spur, and many different model years. And the complaint is the same. Also, the answer from the dealers is the same. A coincidence? I think not.

After I posted my first reply, I had occasion to drive the 2010 Spur a few thousand miles. I have to report that the vibration disappears at 90mph. Also, the car seems to run better since then. Maybe the tires needed the exercise.

My car is the Mulliner, so the wheels are different. They are 2 piece, and seem stronger; better equipped to handle the low profile, 20" tires. I have had none of the problems I had with the 2006 Spur.

If you will let an old man try to make sense if it: I am 74. The year I graduated college I got my first new car. Since then I have tried to trade every 3 years. Always to a new and better car. I have never had a car that was everything I wanted it to be, including the Bentley. They always seem to disappoint after a few months of ownership. I think I finally give up. The Bentley comes closer to making it than anything else I had. And, it attracts attention and envy. After all, isn't that why you spent 200K?

Good luck to us all. Maybe next year's model . . .

Old 01-06-2010, 12:47 PM
W1N
W1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the roughW1N is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by raclaims
It's only when the car is cold and goes away after about 5 mins
maybe it's an air suspension problem but I will being it in and have the dealer look at it

every new car has some minor issues so don't let it scare you off
the car is totally amazing and worth the money
I have to say you have a nice ride there. I'm planning to get mine after the winter is over. What advice would you give when picking out a Speed. I'm most puzzled about the color. You seem to like black cars, but I'm quite **** about the paint so I just simply hate those wash swirls. Ho do you cope with them as in black cars you can see them easier? That's why I pick usually a white one (nowadays they then to look good as well), but GT Speed does look pretty nice in black and dark gray as well.

I have 911 turbo as well. I have TechArt performance package and I just love the exhaust. It's a world of difference compared with the stock. What side skirts do you have?

Name:  IMG_0128-1.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  80.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0125-1.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  80.6 KB

Old 01-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Nice 997TT...I have the techart aero kit on mine which includes the side skirts.

I do like black cars...as you can tell...I've got 5 of them and am considering another one!

I've been tempted by white recently but my deep dark recesses of my brain keep whispering...white is for girls...sad but true and I'm not proud of it!

I get my car professionally detailed once or twice per year and am very careful when I wash it. I have zero swirl issues at all. And believe me...I'm far from obsessively **** about these things...well maybe a little but not like you would think!

As far as advice on getting a speed...I found that the standard wood was just too "old" for me. It was beautiful but just too much. When I found the piano black and the aluminum I was gaga over it.

Other than that...you can't go wrong...it's a wonderful car. Beyond words really...other than the Nav which is a little dated...

Even with snow wheels and tires it drives like a dream...a fast, luxurious, heart racing dream

Old 02-24-2021, 04:29 AM
Cazzerb65 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will try sponge mats or something under mine then as I have similar vibration at around 50-60 mph.

Thank you for advice.

Caz

Old 03-31-2022, 06:01 PM
TheManWithThe7 is an unknown quantity at this point
I’m having a vibration on my 16 GT speed.
The car needs an alignment as the steering wheel has to be held a little to the right in order to go straight.
wondering if a bad alignment would also cause a steering wheel vibration as well?

Old 03-31-2022, 09:12 PM
silvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud ofsilvertonesx24 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TheManWithThe7
I’m having a vibration on my 16 GT speed.
The car needs an alignment as the steering wheel has to be held a little to the right in order to go straight.
wondering if a bad alignment would also cause a steering wheel vibration as well?
Mine will randomly vibrate at higher speeds. Sometimes it is fine. Sometimes it vibrates. I have purchased both inner and outer tie rods and plan to swap soon.

Old 04-18-2022, 07:53 PM
TheManWithThe7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
Mine will randomly vibrate at higher speeds. Sometimes it is fine. Sometimes it vibrates. I have purchased both inner and outer tie rods and plan to swap soon.
did you get a chance to replace the tie rods?