Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

05 Bentley gt, how can I reset the computer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Jackedwards is on a distinguished road
05 Bentley gt, how can I reset the computer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Without driving to the dealer which is 100 miles away, I am hoping one of you guys might know....

My "Driver Information Panel" the one in the middle of the dash has gone to 5,000 colors, but when I click on the controls on the steering wheels it changes up and down, and a box in the middle is there and sometime the highlight part will come on, but no words, no p - d nothing just this 5,000 color screen with a black box with a high light in the middle, So I know it is not a bad screen and just a computer problem.

Any of you guys know what this is, and could it be something as simple as resetting the computer? And how would I do that?

BTW: a few days ago when I turned it on everything had reset, no radio stations etc...

Thanks in advance.

05 gt

Jack

Old 02-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Problem fixed itself... Weird.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:23 PM
Sunbugone is on a distinguished road
Remove fuses 13, 17 and 54 and reinstall in reverse order. This will reset the dip. If this doesn't work, you need a new instrument cluster

Old 02-20-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sunbugone
Remove fuses 13, 17 and 54 and reinstall in reverse order. This will reset the dip. If this doesn't work, you need a new instrument cluster
Thanks for the response, but the problem has not come back, hopefully won't. But if it does I will try your fuse order.

I think it might of had something to do with the freezing cold we had the night before.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:23 AM
It usually has to do with low battery voltage. Keep your main battery on a trickle charger. There was a factory bulletin and software update, but the update is NLA. Sometimes the screen will go completely blank if the battery goes low enough

Old 02-21-2011, 07:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sunbugone
It usually has to do with low battery voltage. Keep your main battery on a trickle charger. There was a factory bulletin and software update, but the update is NLA. Sometimes the screen will go completely blank if the battery goes low enough
Thanks for the response..

Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed about keeping the battery on trickle if you do not plan to use the car for a period of time. Have been warned by the Bentley mechanics about keeping her charged (the left side battery). While i have allowed the CGT to sit for two weeks without charge, it was at full charge before that point via a CTEK unit ( www.amazon.com/CTEK-Multi-7002-Battery-Charger/dp/B000FRLO9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298304441&sr=8-2 ).

Old 02-21-2011, 09:08 AM
robbiemac is on a distinguished road
NLA?

I wonder if there is an easy way to see that if your car has had all it's updates.

robbie

Old 02-21-2011, 09:10 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Robbie, not sure how to detect that. Odds are you'll need the Bentley version of VAG-COM to find out. Next time you take it to the dealer for normal servicing am sure they check such things and update accordingly.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Ha normal servicing... I'm not planning on taking it back for a while, although in their defence every time I take it back they fully refuel it for me..... so far this car is more economical than my old mini cooper s.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM
All of the factory software was updated last year and alot of the old flash software is not compatible. The dip "snowy effect" is one of them and it all depends on the year of vehicle. There is a flash for the later models. Not sure of the vin break off the top of my head. The only history that is kept is for recalls, services and warranty work. You can tell by going into the module and reading the software level, coding and who coded it. You can to it with VAG-com but you have to know what you are looking for

J

Old 02-21-2011, 02:46 PM
sounds way too complicated for my liking! I think I'll just drive around till it's next service and make sure they do all the updates then. Hoping to not visit the garage (unless socially) for a while now.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:54 PM
As they did the 5 year/50k service when I bought it, I pray that all the updates were done.

BTW: Great car.