Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

PRESS: New Continental GT and GTC V8 Models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
PRESS: New Continental GT and GTC V8 Models

THE NEW BENTLEY CONTINENTAL V8 RANGE

Bentley Motors
Press release
  • New Continental GT and GTC V8 models will debut at the North American International Auto Show, Detroit (January 2012)
  • Exceptional power-to-emissions ratio combined with classic Bentley power and torque from new 4.0 litre twin-turbo V8 engine
  • Fulfils Bentley’s environmental commitment to a new powertrain delivering a 40 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions
  • Advanced technologies include direct injection, variable displacement, new close-ratio 8-speed transmission and all wheel-drive
  • New Continental V8 model range complements the flagship 6.0 litre W12 GT and GTC
(Crewe 12th December, 2011) Two new Bentley Continental V8 models will be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit on 9th January 2012.

The new 4.0 litre, twin turbocharged V8 Continental GT coupé and GTC convertible achieve exceptional standards for power-to-emissions in the high luxury sports car sector.

This remarkable, new Bentley V8 engine delivers maximum power of 500bhp (507PS/373Kw) at 6000 rev/min and an extraordinary peak torque of 660Nm (487 lb ft) which is available across virtually the entire rev range from 1700 to 5000 rev/min, providing exhilarating performance and effortless power delivery in the Bentley tradition. Combined with a new close-ratio 8-speed automatic transmission, this translates into a sub-5 second acceleration time for the 0-60 mph (0-100km/h) sprint and a top speed of over 180mph (290km/h).

At the same time, the new V8 Continental models achieve outstanding levels of fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions for the luxury performance sector and are capable of travelling over 500 miles (800km) on a single tank of fuel. Full and official figures will be released in early 2012.
The arrival of the new V8 Continental models fulfils Bentley’s environmental commitment to produce a new powertrain that delivers a 40 per cent improvement in fuel efficiency and CO2 emissions.

The new V8 engine features variable displacement with a highly sophisticated engine management system, ensuring a seamless and imperceptible transition from V8 to V4 mode under light throttle load.
The high-technology V8 also features high pressure direct injection, low friction bearings, thermal management, energy recuperation via the charging system, and innovative turbo charger packaging for greater efficiency.

The instantly recognisable growl of the new 4.0 litre V8 engine sets it apart from its Bentley stablemates.

The new V8 engine will be available in two models; the Continental GT and the Continental GTC. Expressing their potent, muscular character, these models are distinguished by a black gloss matrix grille with chrome frame and centre bar, a red enamel Bentley ‘B’ badge, and a black matrix three-segment lower front bumper divided by distinctive body-coloured strakes.
At the rear, unique chromed ‘figure eight’ exhaust tailpipes, a dark lower valance and red enamel ‘B’ bootlid badge emphasise the sporty, contemporary identity of the new V8s.

Both models are specified with 20-inch alloy wheels as standard with an optional 21-inch six-spoke design which is available in dramatic Diamond Black (exclusive to the Continental V8) or Diamond Silver finishes.
Inside the cabin, an Eliade cloth headlining, new contemporary Dark Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneers, optional two-tone leather colour split and short centre console continue the fresh, sporting design theme.
The two new Continental models will be offered beneath the flagship 6.0 litre,12-cylinder engined Continental GT and GTC, which continue to excite customers with a combination of silken refinement and the ultimate power of the twin-turbocharged W12 Continental engine that, in its most potent form, delivers an astonishing 631bhp (640PS).

Both new models feature a state-of-the-art, all-wheel drive system employing an advanced Torsen differential and a 40:60 rear biased power split. This ensures safe yet dynamic sports car handling in all road conditions.

Since the launch of the original GT in 2003, the W12-engined Continental range has gone from strength to strength with over 50,000 sales worldwide, making Bentley’s factory in Crewe, England, the largest producer of 12 cylinder engines in the world. The W12 story continues to unfold and remains the ultimate expression of Bentley’s engineering strength.

Commenting on the launch of the new V8 Continental models, Wolfgang Dürheimer, Chairman and Chief Executive, Bentley Motors said:
“With the new 4.0 litre V8 engine we are widening the appeal of the latest generation of Continentals, introducing a completely new driving experience. The new engine will have all the exhilarating power, drama and performance you would expect from a V8 engine sporting the famous Bentley wings, effortlessly delivered with our characteristic ‘wave of torque’. This is complemented by innovative powertrain technology that delivers exceptional fuel efficiency and emissions.”

THE NEW CONTINENTAL V8 MODELS

Distinctive sporting style
  • Gloss black matrix grille with bright chrome surround and divider
  • Three-segment lower bumper with black air intakes and striking body-coloured dividers
  • Dark rear lower valance
  • Distinctive twin ‘figure eight’ exhaust tailpipes
  • Red enamel Bentley winged ‘B’ badges above the front grille, to the bootlid and wheel centres
  • 7 exterior colours offered in standard range
Sporty, contemporary interior
  • New Dark Fiddleback Eucalyptus veneer unique to the V8 models
  • Eliade cloth headlining and pillar trim
  • Short centre console in place of W12 through-console
  • 4 hide colours offered in standard range
  • Unique two-tone leather colour split
  • 3 hood colours (Continental GTC)
Exhilarating, efficient new 4.0 litre V8 engine
  • Exceptional power-to-emissions ratio reflecting engine efficiency
  • Variable displacement (a technology first proven on the Mulsanne) imperceptibly cuts 4 cylinders on cruise and light throttle
  • Switchable engine mounts ensure refinement
  • Engine optimisation technologies boost efficiency
  • New, close-ratio, 8-speed transmission offers 6 per cent efficiency gain with ultra-fast shifts
  • Turbochargers mounted within ‘V’ for efficiency and fast response
  • Over 500 miles (800km) range on one tank of fuel
  • Distinctive V8 growl
  • All-wheel drive system with 40:60 rear biased torque split
VIDEO AVAILABLE AT www.youtube.com/bentleymotors

Attached Images     

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 12-12-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Interior pics below.

Attached Images   
Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 AM
Former Vendor
Mike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to beholdMike@Vossen is a splendid one to behold
Nice 4.0 V-8!!!

Old 12-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
So Steven what do you think? Is the pricing less and by how much?

I guess I hate to see a "down sizing" on this great car but I would not hate to get better fuel economy. This reminds me of the mid eighties when some of the American muscle cars were given six cylinder engines to reduce cost and sell more cars. Screams hey look everybody my cars looks fast but isn't.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
i recall some magazine claiming around $180k for the V8.

And yes, the 500 miles per tank is stunning. During one of my long trips (to NYC) in the CGT remember being so happy i need not stop for gas (in NJ, where the FORCED ON YOU attendant seem to purposefully drip gas on your car, then wipe it off with 100 grit sandpaper cloth.) The Honda needed to stop in NJ for gas, the Ford Superduty needed to stop for gas in NJ, yet the CGT need not stop at all due to the large petrol tank combined with 'good' fuel economy

Don't see the new V8 so much as downsizing more than expansion. As currency devaluation (some call it inflation) continues unabated, the top line with the W12 will reach $250... $275k... $300k in only two or so years. As such, there will be those who desire the Bentley for the quality/etc yet might not need the extra HP/TQ and/or the literally unlimited color/leather/etc choices we get with the W12 engine Bentleys.

So the 8 cyl, while still be very powerful and offering excellent luxury and exclusivity, will be able to fulfill those with perhaps either a lighter wallet AND ALSO IMPORTANT those 'younger generation' who enjoy a more raspy engine note. So the V8 is more 'classic muscle car' per se yet still providing that Bentley panache whilst the W12 is a bit more refined in some ways for what the Bentley Brothers envisioned.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Jackedwards is infamous around these parts
I am going to wait until the 6 cylinder comes out..

Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jackedwards
Have Mercy!

Steven I hear you arguments and could see it that way. If only RR would put little motors and cheap plastic in their cars I could afford one of those. Actually I'm very blessed to have the car I do.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jackedwards
Have Mercy! Looks like it already dumbs downs to a four, bet that sounds really mean.

Steven I hear you arguments and could see it that way. If only RR would put little motors and cheap plastic in their cars I could afford one of those. Actually I'm very blessed to have the car I do.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:24 PM
DAMN, and here i felt i could baffle you guys with bullsh...

Yeah yeah, i do see your point. Hmm, how about they figure out a way to quad-turbo the 8 cyl engine like the VW group does with the 16W Bugatti. Now THAT would be an eye opener

Ok, seriously, i do see your point yet guess those darn emissions and laws and whatnot being forced upon manufacturers by oppressive countries... i mean, take a look at what Aston Martin (a $50,000 utter rubbish P.O.S.) offers to solve their average emissions problem and compare that to the V8 Bentley. Which would you choose?

Am sure even the Great Clarkson would say Aston Martin rubbish rubbish rubbish. And that interior, OMG, who ate beets and threw up in the car? And those buttons and ***** in the Aston Martin, what are those, off the old parts bin from a Chinese factory. Oh wait, too expensive for China to produce, so much cheaper being sourced from Thailand or Vietnam.

So let's be fair, at least Bentley is not offering utter rubbish like Aston Martin does (see below) to their customers

(This would be humor below, if it wasn't such a sad fact)
Aston Martin's finest vehicle even YOU can afford...
$50,000
Specifications:
Max Power 72 kW (97 bhp / 98 PS) at 6000 rpm (the engine blows up at 6001 rpm)

Max Torque 125 Nm (92 lb ft) at 4400 rpm (minus 15% due to powertrain loss, so that leaves you with, what, less torque than only a mere 20% of a Bentley engine)

Max Speed 170 km/h (106 mph... whilst going down a steep hill with hurricane winds to it's backside)

Acceleration 0-100 km/h (62 mph)
- 11.8 seconds (6-speed manual... why bother with manual tranny)
- 11.6 seconds (CVT... come to think of it, couldn't Aston Martin generate faster 0-62 mph time if they simply dropped this nightmare off a steep hill so-as to achieve natural free-fall speed? Hmmm....)

Attached Images   

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 12-12-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:47 PM
gliozzi is infamous around these parts
Reminds me when Ford down sized the Jag. To there V8.
It will take a little time until they will illuminate the 12.
There is only a few of us gear heads that realize that the 12 is a rocket ship, until we become extincted that's when the need for speed ends.
Oh By the way Steven are you a mech. or a car salesman?
bob

Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM
[quote=gliozzi;3397979]Reminds me when Ford down sized the Jag. To there V8.[/quote]

Hmm... you may indeed be right.

Oh By the way Steven are you a mech. or a car salesman?

Well, turned wrenches/drove on the Ferrari 308 and Formula 2000 (to name the recent things). After a few years of F2000 i got totally burned out on any major car engineering/testing/wrench turning. Nope, not a car salesman or anything in that industry. Just a car nut... only perhaps with a nuttier flavor who will happily 'play' real life Tokyo Drift in a CGT in the snow or ice

Hey, these are cars guys, so have fun, live it up... drive it like you stole it

And yes, agree the W12 is a rocket yet does not give you the feeling of SLAM like other cars under the same hard acceleration. Of course all us car guys want 0 - 60 mph in under 1 second, 100 mph to 0 braking in 30 feet, etc. G-forces sustainable by the human body and grip coefficients be damned! Sure the Caparo T1 must be exciting and is 'better' than the CGT/GTC, yet count me out as a daily driver or gand tourer... let alone snow and ice conditions.

Last edited by stevenrmusic; 12-12-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
F430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really niceF430Spider is just really nice
For 20k diff - I would still go with the 12 - I cant see the 8 luggin all that weight around

Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
gliozzi is infamous around these parts
Steven

Steven are you familiar with Ferrarichat or Ferrarilife?

If so what section do you visit?

Did you receive my PM on the other RR B forum?

If not, don"t ask me what the post read,I can not find it.

bob

Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Originally Posted by gliozzi
Steven are you familiar with Ferrarichat or Ferrarilife?
Was members of both. The Life was ok and Fchat got too...

Did you receive my PM on the other RR B forum?
Just noticed it, will reply there in a moment.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:45 AM
ice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond reputeice350 has a reputation beyond repute
I read in some mag that Bentley decided to axe the v8. Looks like that mag was wrong.
Unlike many of you all, I don't consider a sub 5, 0 -60 mph time as being slow. Neither car would be appropriate for the track so the v8 speed seems plenty for the enthusiast who likes to bob and weave on the highway. The car should be lighter since the engine weighs less....which should result with better handling.
The front facia looks more aggressive, as well.

I think it will sell just fine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PRESS: New Continental GT and GTC V8 Models