Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Driving Therapy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Grwisher
...Another motivator is that I am 68 years old and look at life much differently than I did when I was much younger.
Yes, we all drive a lot faster now that time is short!

Old 02-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
I haven't driven a GTC so I'm curious - are you saying the wind effect etc is better than the SL?

The GTC is a very open car with the rear seats, I just wondered how they managed to damp all the turbulence down if that's the case.

Most of the wind swirl happens because the wind sweeps over the windscreen and then in a circular motion up from behind the front seats. Most windblockers stop this buffet from the back with a screen, but I don't see that on the GTC.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.
2012 BENTLEY CONTINENTAL GTC EXPERT REVIEW:
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Bentley-Co...expert-review/

From the article:
"Now's probably the point where we mention that with the top dropped at 110 mph, you can carry on a normal, inside voices conversation with your passenger.

Though not with the back seat passengers. As the Supersports is billed as the world's fastest four seat convertible, we figured that no review would be complete without testing the rear thrones at high speeds. Here's the good news: A normal sized ( if not slightly pudgy) adult can fit in the back. With the top down, it's even fairly easy to get seated (though getting out is the least graceful aspect of the car). Once in place, it's a tight fit, but we'd imagine journeys lasting up to an hour will leave the rear-seat occupant(s) no worse for wear. Longer than that, and the lack of being able to move your legs at all will start to be bothersome. While still not harsh in anyway, some of the front seats' buttery evenness is missing in the rear. Still, our Bentley-baseball hat didn't start to fly off until about 140 mph. Meaning Bentley's got their wind-tunneling nearly down to a science. That said, the driver can't hear a word you're shouting to him over 100 mph."

Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Ken my assessment was purely subjective and not science. I just felt less wind in the Bentley than the Mercedes. The seats were more comfortable and soft and the range of motion adjustment was better allowing more rearward movement and reclining pitch, suits me perfectly. The sound of the motor in the Benz was not as striking and exciting. In complement to the Mercedes the transmission was very smooth and seamless and the winner over the GT in that category.

I have the wind, what-ever-you-call-it, but have never gone through the trouble to put it on. I understand your question and on the surface one might expect the Bentley to be more windy but it did not SEEM that way to me.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I am sorry I posted without reading all the replies so I need to add.

First let me state I care mostly about me in the drivers seat and some about the wife in the front passenger seat. Any poor back seater, like the 17 y/o daughter have made no payments and are just SOL. If I don't hear her every word I'm sure i am devastated.

I would have accepted a true two seater so any back seat capacity is gravy.

I liked the post regarding the wind tunnel testing and agree with it.

Disclaimer- I am completely in love with the Bentley and 100% biased, expect few fair criticisms.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:39 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Disclaimer- I am completely in love with the Bentley and 100% biased, expect few fair criticisms.
i have no idea what you are talking about. Nope, no idea at all.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:06 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
...Meaning Bentley's got their wind-tunneling nearly down to a science.[/SIZE][/B] That said, the driver can't hear a word you're shouting to him over 100 mph."
Mmmm. That's not at all like the SL where you can carry a normal conversion at 100mph (tried it). But maybe noise buffet is different from wind-blown.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:11 PM
...Any poor back seater, like the 17 y/o daughter have made no payments and are just SOL....
I understand that from time to time our normally lucid conversation turns to mushy groupie-like gibberish when we discuss the finer aspects of the CGT/GCT, but for the love of Mike what's SOL! So Outta Luck? Sorting Out Life?

Old 02-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
I understand that from time to time our normally lucid conversation turns to mushy groupie-like gibberish when we discuss the finer aspects of the CGT/GCT, but for the love of Mike what's SOL! So Outta Luck? Sorting Out Life?
Pardon my French, **** Out of Luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Ah, you know French as well as Latin

Bet you didn't guess what model the GCT was in my post. Yes, it was the Bentley Typo... can be driven with a single finger at 40wpm.

Last edited by kensilver; 02-20-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:47 AM
SOL-Sort of Lucky, to be in my car and not so critical of wind, cold or being left out of any conversation.

If you need to have deep conversation then put up the top or slow the beast down. Actually over a 100 one might have pay attention to the road.

Truthful my wife does like to go fast and is quiet and hanging on to the door handle that my daughter has named the "oh **** handle".(hint common word usually used in the first acronym.)

We all have fun in the car but my wife usually stays at the house if the main course of the day is curvy mountain road sport driving.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Oh Grwisher you are on the dark path.

When car shopping I drove several convertibles knowing that my "special" car had to have an open roof when desired. DO NOT drive a GTC till you are ready to buy one. I had always held a special place in my heart for the SL Mercedes and any car to be purchased had to beat that car out. The ride of the two drop heads can not be compared, period. The wind buffeting, personal comfort levels and aural experience are worlds apart. Actually I thought the Jaguar XKR was a nicer open top ride than the Merc.

I like the roof line of the coupe better but when the top is down on the convertible people stare and take notice. Nothing says I have THE car and you know it better than the GTC. IMHO.
Well I hope that you are happy now.

I just this morning put a deposit down on a 2013 GTC. It will have the same colors as my current GT - Onyx, portland and porpoise. After much agony, I decided to trade-in the GT as I felt that I would hardly ever drive the GT and I did not want to get rid of my red SL500. I have to attribute some of my change of heart to your comment above. Again, I hope that you are happy now.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Well I hope that you are happy now.

I just this morning put a deposit down on a 2013 GTC. It will have the same colors as my current GT - Onyx, portland and porpoise. After much agony, I decided to trade-in the GT as I felt that I would hardly ever drive the GT and I did not want to get rid of my red SL500. I have to attribute some of my change of heart to your comment above. Again, I hope that you are happy now.
Very happy my man. Rest assured that you will be also, I am confident.

I would have done the same if keeping two cars let the one Bentley go and UPGRADE! How long will it take to get the car?

Oh BTW since it is my fault do I have to make any payment?

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 03-27-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Very happy my man. Rest assuredthat you will be also, I am confident.

I would have done the same if keeping two cars let the one Bentley go and UPGRADE! How long will it take to get the car?

Oh BTW since it is my fault do I have to make any payment?
It will take between 4 - 6 months to get the automobile.

As far as payments go, it would be nice for you to make one payment. We can time your one time payment of $58,043.49 to the delivery of the GTC. The payment would be higher, but I was able to negotiate a small discount in your behalf.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
It will take between 4 - 6 months to get the automobile.

As far as payments go, it would be nice for you to make one payment. We can time your one time payment of $58,043.49 to the delivery of the GTC. The payment would be higher, but I was able to negotiate a small discount in your behalf.
I'll send the .49 first and we can work on the amortization schedule of the balance.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:58 PM
KeepUp is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Isn't that one of the reasons we buy the cars we do? That kind of power and speed can put anyone in a good mood, especially on a warm day, top down, and radio loud!