Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Driving Therapy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Driving Therapy

Does driving your car do anything for you? Are you set in a better mood after a drive in the Bentley?

I feel special in my car and a drive picks me up. My Ford F250 just does not do that for me as it is just a work or service type of vehicle. It hauls or gets me there and that's about it.

The GT is like therapy and improves any day. A ride to the office in the car could be twice as long as one in the truck. May not take twice as long, the sucker is quick.

"Burnin gas for nutting"

Old 02-15-2012, 06:56 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Yes

Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
I've just come back from an hour's drive round the bays in our city in the Bentley - for therapy. Before that I drove 3 other cars today... my Range Rover to the dealer for service, my wife's Lexus for the same, a Lexus IF250 loan car from the Lexus dealer, and finally the CGT.

As the good Dr D says, it makes you feel very special, and in a way other cars don't. The sheer luxury of the cream leather and wheel, the dark wood, the distant growl of the exhaust... the feeling is truly sublime. It ticks all the boxes.

Last edited by kensilver; 02-16-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 AM
The Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura aboutThe Big Easy has a spectacular aura about
Without a doubt! Windows down, fresh air, roof open.................

Cheers,

Old 02-16-2012, 06:23 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Big Easy
Windows down, fresh air, roof open.
You are such a big tease!!!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by The Big Easy
Without a doubt! Windows down, fresh air, roof open.................

Cheers,
Tease for sure.

We are up to 60 degrees tomorrow still a little cool for top down. I have 100 mile drive planned for Friday to buy a pair of socks. Who knows maybe a pair matching boots?

Old 02-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
I've just come back from an hour's drive round the bays in our city in the Bentley - for therapy. Before that I drove 3 other cars today... my Range Rover to the dealer for service, my wife's Lexus for the same, a Lexus IF250 loan car from the Lexus dealer, and finally the CGT.

As the good Dr D says, it makes you feel very special, and in a way other cars don't. The sheer luxury of the cream leather and wheel, the dark wood, the distant growl of the exhaust... the feeling is truly sublime. It ticks all the boxes.
This is the kind of thread that makes me love this forum. It is very cool to know that others feel just like I do about the Bentley. I too think that driving a Bentley is therapy, I just didn’t know what to call it before reading this post.

I bought my GT in December and was so thrilled with the purchase (because of the therapy it provided), I started talking to my wife about getting a GTC as well. At one point she said that she wondered how she could tell if I had gone insane and that maybe she should have me committed. I told her that I was not the person to ask that question because I did not want to be committed. And she wondered if my daughter and her should conduct a intervention. I questioned her choice of my daughter, the same daughter that recently purchased a Hermes Birkin purse. I added that if she was going to include my daughter in the intervention, she might as well invite Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian to help out as well.

We also own a 2004 red Mercedes SL500. Before I bought the Bentley I was perfectly happy with the ride. It is a great car, but given the choice on which vehicle to use, except for top down weather, the choice goes to the Bentley. By the way, my wife has grown to love the GT and therefore that GTC may be a reality and not just a wish in the future.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:13 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Grwisher
...We also own a 2004 red Mercedes SL500. Before I bought the Bentley I was perfectly happy with the ride. It is a great car, but given the choice on which vehicle to use, except for top down weather, the choice goes to the Bentley...
I hung on to my SL600 for far longer than prudently necessary for exactly that reason - the SL is such a nice car to drive and the ride is excellent. I've had three and loved them all. But this time when the choice came to finding space in the garage, the CGT won hands down.

Also our harsh antipodean sun makes top-down motoring a melanoma option so sadly it had to go. As a quaint footnote, the new owner of my SL600 asked me if I used the seat memory #1. Sure, I said, and he replied - well, in honor of you I will keep that reserved and never use it. A real character and a delight to do business with!

I'm sure you'll find room for your GTC and get many happy hours from it.

Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by kensilver
As a quaint footnote, the new owner of my SL600 asked me if I used the seat memory #1. Sure, I said, and he replied - well, in honor of you I will keep that reserved and never use it. A real character and a delight to do business with!
This story provides more evidence that car people are the best people.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Oh Grwisher you are on the dark path.

When car shopping I drove several convertibles knowing that my "special" car had to have an open roof when desired. DO NOT drive a GTC till you are ready to buy one. I had always held a special place in my heart for the SL Mercedes and any car to be purchased had to beat that car out. The ride of the two drop heads can not be compared, period. The wind buffeting, personal comfort levels and aural experience are worlds apart. Actually I thought the Jaguar XKR was a nicer open top ride than the Merc.

I like the roof line of the coupe better but when the top is down on the convertible people stare and take notice. Nothing says I have THE car and you know it better than the GTC. IMHO.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Oh Grwisher you are on the dark path.

When car shopping I drove several convertibles knowing that my "special" car had to have an open roof when desired. DO NOT drive a GTC till you are ready to buy one. I had always held a special place in my heart for the SL Mercedes and any car to be purchased had to beat that car out. The ride of the two drop heads can not be compared, period. The wind buffeting, personal comfort levels and aural experience are worlds apart. Actually I thought the Jaguar XKR was a nicer open top ride than the Merc.

I like the roof line of the coupe better but when the top is down on the convertible people stare and take notice. Nothing says I have THE car and you know it better than the GTC. IMHO.
I can't argue with any of your observations. However, I can't say I made a mistake in buying the coupe because (1) it is a great car and (2) my wife has fallen in love with it. Now if the Apple stock will continue to climb, I will order a GTC. I have pretty much talked myself into a Silverlake/Magnolia/Imperial Blue/Maple one. I saw one the other day and it pretty much does it for me.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by Grwisher
I can't argue with any of your observations. However, I can't say I made a mistake in buying the coupe because (1) it is a great car and (2) my wife has fallen in love with it. Now if the Apple stock will continue to climb, I will order a GTC. I have pretty much talked myself into a Silverlake/Magnolia/Imperial Blue/Maple one. I saw one the other day and it pretty much does it for me.
I agree you did not make a mistake with the GT. Most of us will own one Continental at a time and must choose between the two models. Others, more blessed can have both and enjoy all. Cudos mate, carpe diem. High talk locally interpreted as "you da big dog, you rule"

Old 02-20-2012, 09:43 AM
I agree you did not make a mistake with the GT. Most of us will own one Continental at a time and must choose between the two models. Others, more blessed can have both and enjoy all. Cudos mate, carpe diem. High talk locally interpreted as "you da big dog, you rule"
I agree that to own two Bentleys is a real privilege. This privilege exists because my wife and I were lucky enough to sell our company before the dot com bust (we are in the software business). When I say lucky, I have to qualify that the luck came from working 10 to 16 hours a day, every day for many years. Another motivator is that I am 68 years old and look at life much differently than I did when I was much younger.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Understood friend and because of that you need double therapy.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:50 PM
...I had always held a special place in my heart for the SL Mercedes and any car to be purchased had to beat that car out. The ride of the two drop heads can not be compared, period. The wind buffeting, personal comfort levels and aural experience are worlds apart...
I haven't driven a GTC so I'm curious - are you saying the wind effect etc is better than the SL?

The GTC is a very open car with the rear seats, I just wondered how they managed to damp all the turbulence down if that's the case.

Most of the wind swirl happens because the wind sweeps over the windscreen and then in a circular motion up from behind the front seats. Most windblockers stop this buffet from the back with a screen, but I don't see that on the GTC.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Driving Therapy