Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Azure general question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
TerryW is on a distinguished road
Azure general question

Now I'm really curious!!?? I posted a couple of days ago regarding 00-03 Azures and any issues they might have. To date I have only received one response which brings me to ask why the lack of information? Are the Azures not a popular car, did they have problems, are/were there very few of them? Just really curious now. I know that usually car enthusiasts are more apt to frequent forums looking for information or just bs'ing. That would lead me to believe this could be a car that enthusiasts wouldn't normally gravitate to due to lack of performance or just the fact that it might be a geezer, which I am, type car. If that is the case please don't hesitate to point that out. I would also assume that if it is a car for the older more reserved crowd it is still a Bentley and would be of the quality one would expect. They appear to be beautiful, if somewhat sedate, compared to the GT.

We're really serious about taking the plunge.

Thanks!!

Last edited by TerryW; 03-09-2012 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Update, Azure a no go! Want Continental
Old 03-07-2012, 12:28 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Terry,

While I can't speak for anyone else here, I'm a Continental GT owner and have no real knowledge of the rest of the Bentley range. So I wonder whether the brand is quite strongly segmented in the same way, and this forum is filled with Continental owners with the same view?

Hope you get some answers - my narrow opinion doesn't stop me admiring and enjoying all the rest of this grand marque.

Old 03-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Terry I was not avoiding your post but had no knowledge to share. I am new to Bentley and have an 07 GTC. Most of the members here do have the Continental looking for the performance they offer. I have not heard of anyone here owning the Mulsane but that would not infer that it is a poor car. Both the Azure and Mulsane are more of the mature family luxury car and not the sports type.

You are looking at +10y/o cars and I would expect they are trading like hot cakes. Find a clean one with a service record and enjoy Bentley.

Last edited by Dr.Disaster; 03-07-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the responses. I am thinking that I had it figured in my post that the majority or the posters in this forum are car and performance minded and tend to be hands on with their cars. I post on a couple of other forums and one is categorized by model and the other is just a general forum with lots of participation from all owners. I am used to broad participation and it took me some time to figure out why I might not be getting a lot of response.

We drove the Azure today and it is really a nice car. Runs strong, very quiet and a super ride, just what I would have expected. From a performance standpoint I believe it is also what I expected, penty of power, but, not neck snapping accelleration. More refined than sporty. I can see that it is not the sports car of the Bentley line up. It also stands to reason that the owners of the Azures would be way less likely to be mechanically involved than the owners of the Continentals would. They really are a great car and I can see why the owners are so satisfied with them. We have a couple more to look at this week end, but, the one we drove today will be darn hard to beat. I will update as things progress and it appears you will soon have an Azure owner lurking in the forums.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:54 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by TerryW
...It also stands to reason that the owners of the Azures would be way less likely to be mechanically involved than the owners of the Continentals would...
Not so. Forty-five years ago I tuned my Austin Healey 100/4 carbs by listening to them with a hosepipe to my ear. In my year of ownership I've only had the hood of the Bentley up twice - both times to show visitors how little of the engine you can see there.

I would not even consider tinkering with these hugely sophisticated machines, and I admire anyone who can. Mistakes are expensive these days.

Hope your purchase of the Azure goes smoothly!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
00-03 Azure update

We drove a 2008 Continental GTC today and the Azure is no longer in the picture. We were blown away by the performance, ride and styling. I think I can safely say that the Azure is not a sporty enthusiast type of car. It is a beautiful nice riding luxury car and in that sense I believe you would be hard pressed to find a more luxurious convertible. The size, ride, performance and luxury are the main detractors from the car. I mentioned before that I am a not a young guy, I believe I said geezer, but, the continental is way more fun and I ain't dead yet. I have seen here that the Continentals make a good daily driver as well as a fun week end car. This is exactly what we are looking for. We are looking at a 2007 GT 15k miles and $125k. It is a beautiful car, sporty and elegant without being pretentious and saying look at me.

This all brings up the question of reliability and problem areas. Is there anything in particular that I should be concerned about? Are there issues associated with these cars that will have to be dealt with in the future? Any recalls we should be aware of? Finally is it wise to buy/extend the warranty and if so, for how many years. They said the warranty can be extended until the end of the 8th year.

Thanks, Terry

Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
We drove a 2008 Continental GTC today and the Azure is no longer in the picture.

I completely understand. If you have given up the idea that you need a back seat then the GTC is a great car for all occasions. I am not aware of any endemic problems with the car. That price is about what I paid for a similar car. I thought is was a tad high compared to some others I had seen on the net but it was local and had some colors and extras that had me by the short hairs.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by TerryW
We drove a 2008 Continental GTC today and the Azure is no longer in the picture.
Yes, that's more like it!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
TopGunRCF is on a distinguished road
I own a 2008 Azure, and am extremely satisfied with the car. No issues whatsoever. Very limited in production, no alot of threads or comments on the car, but take it from an owner, I absolutely love it!

Old 03-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I've just seen pics of Simon Cowell's black Azure convertible, and it is VERY nice indeed. In fact, stunning: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...l-Bentley.html

Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Colour me ashamed of Simon Cowell's black Azure convertible... as surely he can afford the Bentley self-leveling wheel badge set yet chose not to. Sheesh, Simon is single-handedly bringing down the resale value of our vehicles

Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Colour me ashamed of Simon Cowell's black Azure convertible...
I'm a wide-eyed beginner when it comes to the Azure - it simply hasn't been on my radar until Simon came along.

But he really needs to find the seat raise lever... he looks a little dwarfed peering out of such a large car!

Old 03-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
...Sheesh, Simon is single-handedly bringing down the resale value of our vehicles
Don't forget values have probably gone up to compensate with the CGT featuring in the new James Bond book. However, that may be offset negatively by pictures of the author posing by the car in some publicity shots - he's a most unlikely-looking model.

I think we need to step up to the mark Steve, and raise the bar for the brand again!

Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by kensilver
Don't forget values have probably gone up to compensate with the CGT featuring in the new James Bond book. However, that may be offset negatively by pictures of the author posing by the car in some publicity shots - he's a most unlikely-looking model.

I think we need to step up to the mark Steve, and raise the bar for the brand again!
Are you guys posing in sexy wear for the new GTC?

Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
Are you guys posing in sexy wear for the new GTC?
Haha. I'll be wearing my new money-belt thong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Azure general question