Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Paint color : Thunder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:05 PM
StanMoon is on a distinguished road
Paint color : Thunder

Hi,

I finally put a deposit for a new CGT V8 the other day, and my choice of paint color was Thunder. I was going to order Onyx black, but my friend persuaded me to avoid black. I always had black cars, plus 80% of GTs on the road here are all blacks. I still have 10 days to change my specs. for March order, and anyone owns or has seen thunder in person?

I have only seen Thunder in pictures and paint stone samples, but is it more grey or blue?

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 AM
BCBentley is on a distinguished road
We have a Thunder Flying Spur in our showroom and it is one of my fav colors. It is definately grey and doesnt have some of the blueish tones that the lighter silver colors do. You should be pleased with that color, I prefer it over moonbeam since it is quite a bit darker.

When do you think you will take delivery?

Old 03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by StanMoon
Hi,

I finally put a deposit for a new CGT V8 the other day, and my choice of paint color was Thunder. I was going to order Onyx black, but my friend persuaded me to avoid black. I always had black cars, plus 80% of GTs on the road here are all blacks. I still have 10 days to change my specs. for March order, and anyone owns or has seen thunder in person?

I have only seen Thunder in pictures and paint stone samples, but is it more grey or blue?

Thanks.
First, I would advise you to see if you can find a Thunder colored car to look at in person. The reason I say that is that it is very hard to judge any car by samples and pictures and for this type of investment you really want to make sure you are getting what you want. Second, you say that "you have always had black cars" - there is a reason for that. Third, you say "80% of the GTs on the road here are all blacks" - there is a reason for that as well. Fourth, the most popular colors for the Bentley Continental are White, Black and Silver - the resale is better with these colors.

The reason I am commenting on your post is that, in December, I bought a brand new 2012 Bentley GT when I suspected that, at the time, I really wanted a GTC. And, like you, I had been influenced, by a friend to choose the GT. Monday of this week, I paid dearly to trade-in the 2012 GT for an ordered 2013 GTC. Both cars are and will be Onyx.

Fifth, go with your heart - I wish I had.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by BCBentley
We have a Thunder Flying Spur in our showroom and it is one of my fav colors. It is definately grey and doesnt have some of the blueish tones that the lighter silver colors do. You should be pleased with that color, I prefer it over moonbeam since it is quite a bit darker.

When do you think you will take delivery?
That's what I thought - dark grey with hint of smoky blue underneath, but many pictures show it is too much blueish under the sunlight... my dealership expects late August to early September delivery for all March orders.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:07 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Grwisher
...go with your heart...
Great post and excellent advice about MANY things in life

Old 04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
First, I would advise you to see if you can find a Thunder colored car to look at in person. The reason I say that is that it is very hard to judge any car by samples and pictures and for this type of investment you really want to make sure you are getting what you want. Second, you say that "you have always had black cars" - there is a reason for that. Third, you say "80% of the GTs on the road here are all blacks" - there is a reason for that as well. Fourth, the most popular colors for the Bentley Continental are White, Black and Silver - the resale is better with these colors.

The reason I am commenting on your post is that, in December, I bought a brand new 2012 Bentley GT when I suspected that, at the time, I really wanted a GTC. And, like you, I had been influenced, by a friend to choose the GT. Monday of this week, I paid dearly to trade-in the 2012 GT for an ordered 2013 GTC. Both cars are and will be Onyx.

Thank you very much for your comment. I'll keep that in mind!

Old 04-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Quick updates. After finally seeing a Thuder-colored car in person, I decided to stick with thunder at the moment. It was not that blueish as I saw in pictures, but more of dark grey similar to Granite with different feel.

One thing is that I still had to give up some options, such as quilted leather, black sports wheel, veeneered door, etc, which are all out of already fixed package at one price. If I select them individually, the price would go up dramatically, even higher than decently packaged W12 model price. The dealership said it is due to relatively small market and the competitive pricing of V8 here to rival other cars, such as new Porsche 911 and Grand Turismo.

Last edited by StanMoon; 04-01-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:31 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Thunder is a great looking color. One thing about the Bentley color range - they don't seem to put out duds. I was looking at a silver 2006 at the dealers the other day, and from a distance it looked a bit standard and ho-hum.

But when I got up to it, the silver shone unlike any other shade I've seen. It really set off the car and its shape.

My dark sapphire is just one of those must-have colors because it gives the car a different character. But I'd also buy Thunder anytime. It's a bit like the Aston Martin grey in that it matches the car's personality perfectly.

Pictures please if you remember - Sept is a long way off!

Old 04-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all

WOW! that is a post and struck me as ones of the saddest I have read. Mistakes cost don't they?

Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
WOW! that is a post and struck me as ones of the saddest I have read. Mistakes cost don't they?
You think this is sad? When I get the time I will post my boat buying experiences for the last 45 years or my stock market experiences (I sold Apple at $88 once).

Actually I didn't mean to describe my Bentley GT purchase as a sad occasion but after reading it, I can see how it looks that way. The truth of the matter is that my present Bentley GT has provided me with a wonderful experience. Like all of the rest of you, I think I have the most beautiful Bentley in the world and enjoy it every day. At the time I bought it there was not a convertible that could compare in its beauty and to be honest, I was not ready to spend the extra money on a convertible. Also, the fact that I had a 2004 SL500 convertible also factored into the decision.

I bought the GT after, in large part, I read the wonderful posts that all of you provide at 6speedonline and thought it would be a great car for traveling around the great state of Texas. And it was and still is. The turning point came when my wife and I traveled to Austin. The weather was perfect and so was the hill country and I just kept thinking, as good as the experience was, the convertible would have been a very nice option.

Sure, it would have been better if I had bought the GTC in the first place but there are some benefits to buying the GT first. Since owning the GT, my appreciation for the engineering, the ride, etc. just gets better every day. And now I think the extra money for the convertible is well worth it. Also, by owning this one, I have been able to evaluate the various options and therefore feel that it has helped me order the right convertible. What sold me on the GT was the color combination (Onyx, Portland and Porpoise) and the GTC will have the same colors. So there is a lot of positive aspects to my first Bentley purchase.

Feel better now?

Last edited by Grwisher; 04-02-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:40 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Yes I do but seeing you in good spirits is cure for me. As I recall the coupe was ahead of the convertible in upgrades so it all worked out well for ya.-----------------------------Except the $ hit on the trade.

I went topless the other day and was surprised to feel how hot the sun was and wondered if I can go that way all summer. I may need to cave and put the top up for a/c.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:08 PM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Isn't it ironic that the most fun we can have in our life is also the worst for us... boats - a hole in the water into which we pour money as I recall the saying... cars - devalue and cost heaps to run... chocolate - the ultimate pleasure that will kill us eventually... women - crazy irrational beings who we can't do without.

And yet we persist. I'm looking at the latest CGT and plotting to acquire, even knowing that the depreciation graph always goes into freefall.

grwisher, I bought the first Newton when it came out. Should've put that money into Apple shares instead. Wisdom in hindsight!

Old 04-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Yes I do but seeing you in good spirits is cure for me. As I recall the coupe was ahead of the convertible in upgrades so it all worked out well for ya.-----------------------------Except the $ hit on the trade.

I went topless the other day and was surprised to feel how hot the sun was and wondered if I can go that way all summer. I may need to cave and put the top up for a/c.
Actually the MSRP on the coupe was $203,045 so it did not have many upgrades. On the convertible I actually reduced the number of upgrades. I did not get the little crafted case, cd changer and valet key. I did add the neck warmer though. All of my colors were no cost options. I normally trick things out (like my boats) but I find the stock Bentley is pretty amazing. Both GT and GTC are configured with camera, wood steering wheel, veneered quarter inserts, chromed lower bumper, seat ventilation and massage, sports gear lever and carpet upgrade. The MSRP on the convertible is $225,755.

Old 04-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I ain't got no seat or neck ventaliation. But I'll live.

Oh BTW What kind of a paint name is "Thunder"? H-ll fire man what happened to color names like red,grey, silver and black?????

Now we got: cherry blush crimson glaze
nearly ebony velvet haze
opalescent snowy cream sickle
midnight eclipse dark bull****

Old 04-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I ain't got no seat or neck ventaliation. But I'll live.
Attached is a picture of the neck warmers (front seat only).

As far as Thunder goes, it is a very nice color and a lot easier to keep clean. If you really want to make it snazzy, go for the "Liquid Metal Range" of colors at $34,310.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Paint color : Thunder