Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Normal engine temperature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Michael99 is on a distinguished road
Normal engine temperature

Hi all, i have a question about my car 2008 Continental GT Speed and my car temperature is always more than half, which is close to 3/4, instead in the middle. is this a normal thing or i have problem with my car ?

Thank You

Old 05-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
My 07 is very predictable as far as operating temperature. Within 1.7 miles it warms to 140F that is required for hard acceleration and in another mile it is up to 200F. It never moves again, period. Is this you experience?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Leinad is on a distinguished road
Mine does exactly the thing, The temp dial goes to 200degrees and stands still. Also the hood stays hot for hours after I stop driving. Does this sound like what you are experiencing.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Leinad
temp dial goes to 200 degrees (F) and stands still. Also the hood stays hot for hours after I stop driving.
Same here and that is normal.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 AM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
My 07 is very predictable as far as operating temperature. Within 1.7 miles it warms to 140F that is required for hard acceleration and in another mile it is up to 200F. It never moves again, period. Is this you experience?
ya thats correct i think that is normal, thank you for the helping

Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 AM
Mine does exactly the thing, The temp dial goes to 200degrees and stands still. Also the hood stays hot for hours after I stop driving. Does this sound like what you are experiencing.
yes, when the engine is already normal running it goes to 200 degrees, i think all of the people experience that so its a normal thing, Thank you anyway

Old 05-04-2012, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Same here and that is normal.
Thanks Steven

Old 05-04-2012, 02:25 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
..Also the hood stays hot for hours after I stop driving...
I read that the whole hood cleverly acts as a heat sink, dispersing the excess heat as part of the cooling process.

Mine is also toasty warm after every drive, and the garage stays warm in winter for up to half a day.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:05 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by kensilver
I read that the whole hood cleverly acts as a heat sink, dispersing the excess heat as part of the cooling process.

Mine is also toasty warm after every drive, and the garage stays warm in winter for up to half a day.
I have noticed the warm hood also. I would call it a heat bank holding heat but what do i know? The down side to that is with a hot hood you have to wait till the next dy to detail the car as the sprays evaporate to quickly.

Has anyone had one of these overheat while driving stop and go in the summer?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:51 AM
carlcline is on a distinguished road
Engine Temperature

My 2008 GT goes to 200 degrees in several minutes and stays there regardless of the outside temperature. However, I notice that immediately at the start of the car, the temperature gauge reads 60 degrees F, not zero. Anyone else's GT do the same?

Old 11-19-2013, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by carlcline
My 2008 GT goes to 200 degrees in several minutes and stays there regardless of the outside temperature. However, I notice that immediately at the start of the car, the temperature gauge reads 60 degrees F, not zero. Anyone else's GT do the same?
Hum? Don't recall if I have even noticed. I will have to look when I drive home tonight.

Old 11-20-2013, 12:21 AM
Digger11 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by carlcline
Mine reads 60 as that is the actual temperature. When engine heats up it increases.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:55 AM
carlcline is on a distinguished road
Engine Temperature

Thanks for the reply. Intuitively, it seems like the temp should start a zero, but I guess my gauge is correct after all.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM
smgco is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michael99
Hi all, i have a question about my car 2008 Continental GT Speed and my car temperature is always more than half, which is close to 3/4, instead in the middle. is this a normal thing or i have problem with my car ?

Thank You
You all really need to remember that the only temperature gauge we have is for coolant temperature. Our cars really should also have an oil temperature gauge. Its the oil that needs to be up to operating temperature that protects the moving internal engine parts. ( The oil needs to be up to about 200 degrees before you really should get on it. )

And dash board gauges are often times not accurate . Try using an inexpensive laser digital temperature gun. They work great, are accurate and can be used to get an accurate temperature reading on anything. ( Eg, radiator, block, heads, power steering, brakes, oil pan, differential, etc , etc ). A great tool. And will tell you if your gauges are accurate.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:19 AM
AE86_SF is on a distinguished road
Remember as well though that revs are the only factor to increase engine oil temp which means that the only way to get the oil up to operating temp is to let it rev. Either that or install some sort of oil heater in the oil pan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Normal engine temperature