Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

D.I.Y. Spark Plugs on 09 Flying Spur Speed with pics

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
John V. will become famous soon enoughJohn V. will become famous soon enough
No. Sold it a couple years ago. It made good power but kept on blowing up transmissions. Tried every possible kit but couldn't hold it together. Even replaced the small turbo 200 with a 700 I think, was from an Iroc, but still blew up quite often.

Back in those days we used to race around on the streets np. Was always looking for a Mustang or Camero to go with. Now here in Vancouver they are sooo strict. If you get caught going fast they seize your car. Just a little while ago 2 guys ripping, 1 in a Ferrari 430 Scuderia other in M6, along a mountain road with no one else around got clocked at 200kmph = 124mph, lost there cars. They made a huge spectacle about them all over the news. Another group of guys racing on the freeway got called in by other drivers and stopped by Police when they were in a small suburb going slow. Just from witness testimony a couple of them lost there vehicles.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by John V.
No. Sold it a couple years ago. It made good power but kept on blowing up transmissions. Tried every possible kit but couldn't hold it together. Even replaced the small turbo 200 with a 700 I think, was from an Iroc, but still blew up quite often.

Back in those days we used to race around on the streets np. Was always looking for a Mustang or Camero to go with. Now here in Vancouver they are sooo strict. If you get caught going fast they seize your car. Just a little while ago 2 guys ripping, 1 in a Ferrari 430 Scuderia other in M6, along a mountain road with no one else around got clocked at 200kmph = 124mph, lost there cars. They made a huge spectacle about them all over the news. Another group of guys racing on the freeway got called in by other drivers and stopped by Police when they were in a small suburb going slow. Just from witness testimony a couple of them lost there vehicles.
Wow. We only either get a ticket for going over 100mph and depending on the officer. A night in jail with your car impounded. I try to avoid going any faster than flow of traffic. CA is so crowded, I get pissy just driving around in a fast vehicle. You can't really do anything besides Midnight runs and a few spots where you can really gun her. Wow, car confiscation. That's rough. The track business must be great for you guys.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:00 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all

Governments have way to much power. They go on and on about safety but I believe it more about money and instilling fear.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 PM
John V. will become famous soon enoughJohn V. will become famous soon enough
Seems like everything is all about money here now a days. Ruff!!! O and tracks?? Wish we had a good 1. The only one close by is really ruff. Need some investors to put something together. Would be busy 100%!!!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:39 AM
4KB
4KB is on a distinguished road
I'm a new owner and been reading these diy threads. Are ngk pzfr6q11 spark plugs the same as ngk pfr6q (6458)? The pfr6q seem to be compatible with my 2007 continental gt. Thanks in advance

Last edited by 4KB; 11-04-2012 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Originally Posted by 4KB
I'm a new owner and been reading these diy threads. Are ngk pzfr6q11 spark plugs the same as ngk pfr6q (6458)? The pfr6q seem to be compatible with my 2007 continental gt. Thanks in advance
Welcome, it's good to have you. Enjoy one of the finest cars on the planet, IMO.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
4KB
Thanks. This is my first Bentley and so far I'm very impressed with the build quality. Hope to learn a lot from you CGT veterans along the way. I take it then that most here just get the spark plugs from the dealer right?

Old 11-06-2012, 07:55 AM
I could tell you what most do but it looks like John V. is more adventurous than most. I let a mechanic do mine, using OEM plugs, since I am not really much of a gear head. As far as DIY activities I'd rather tie fishing flies or skin a buck.

I to am on my first Bentley and have owned it a little over a year driving it 12k miles in that time. Lovin it!

Old 11-06-2012, 04:51 PM
4KB
Thanks again. I just ordered the oem spark plugs from the dealer and will have my mechanic install together with the intake gasket. Looking at the service history, that was the only thing due before the previous owner sold the CGT.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:51 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Very impressive DIY which saved I easily 700 bucks from dealer.

The only scary part is removing the intake manifold but since seeing your pics doesn't look too bad a job.

J

Old 02-06-2013, 11:09 AM
ExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really niceExoticCarDriver is just really nice
Why do you need 2 new Oetiker clamps? Can't you re-use the old ones?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:50 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
I will be doing my plugs soon.. how much torque did you use on intake bolts? I took mines apart and i can see 8 coils but was afraid of breaking sensors on end of intake.. How do they come out?

Also did you ever change your Third brake light? (How) the dealer quotes over $1,000 for job...

Old 12-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
Subscribed thanks.

Old 05-08-2016, 07:38 AM
illusionist810 is on a distinguished road
Hello John V:

The sensor you refer to in step #7, can you tell me if there is a wiring harness for that sensor? I've searched everywhere and cant seem to locate that harness when putting everything back together.

Thanks in advance.

Well it was time to do the plugs on my 09 Flying Spur Speed and I just couldn’t bring myself to let the dealer do it. Always enjoy working on my own cars doesn’t matter what it is. Sure glad I did cause it was really simple and fun to do.

The parts you need from the dealer are:
1. Upper plenum gasket. P/N 07C133238F
2. 2 Oetiker clamps P/N N10201801
3. 12 Sparks Plugs P/N 101905600B (Thought I could get them from an auto supplier but they are dealer only)

Here is how to if anyone else wants to try:

1. Remove the 3 plastic clip on engine covers. Front, center & rear.
2. Unscrew the 6 torx screws holding down each air box cover.
3. Remove them with filters.
4. Unbolt the 10mm bolt holding each air box in place.
5. Lift the box out a little then unplug the mass air flow sensor before removing.
6. Be sure to cover up the turbo intakes. Really don’t want anything to fall in there.
7. There is a little sensor upfront connected to a vacuum line. Be careful with this. Just pop it off the bracket. I used a panel popper.
8. Unbolt the 2 torx screws holding the fuel rail on to the manifold.
9. Unplug the sensors at the front of the intake manifold, then throttle body sensors, then breather lines to the sides of the manifold.
10. Disconnect the intake hoses to throttle bodies.
11. Now to the rear, remove the Oetiker clamps & pull the hoses off as well the little vacuum lines beside them.
12. Disconnect the vent line on the passenger side by throttle body.
13. Unbolt the 8 torx screws holding the manifold in place and lift it off.
14. The coils come out rather easily. Once again used the panel popper to get out.

After pulling the coils and before removing the spark plugs I vacuumed the area. Could see small pieces of sand and debris around the valve cover. Don’t want that falling into the engine. Because it was my 1st time doing this I did 1 plug at a time on the drivers side. For the passenger side I pulled out all the coils and did all the plugs at once. Put the coils back in the same spot they came out and add a little Vaseline around the boot so they slip into place easier. Dealer said not to gap the plugs just put them in as is. Once done reverse the steps to put back together using the new gasket and clamps.

Little tips:
1. Clean the intake manifold and upper plenum with some Acetone or Brake Cleaner to take off the oil. Gives the gasket a good seal.
2. Tighten up the all the bolts for each side of the upper manifold before install since you got access to the bottom bolts.
3. When reinstalling & before you bolt down the manifold plug the throttle body & front sensors back in.
4. The Sensor plugs are a little tight. Used a flat head screwdriver to push the end out so they open up & come off.

Hope this helps anyone that’s into doing there own maintenance!!!

Old 08-06-2016, 09:56 PM
MrVette is on a distinguished road
Well it was time to do the plugs on my 09 Flying Spur Speed and I just couldn’t bring myself to let the dealer do it. Always enjoy working on my own cars doesn’t matter what it is. Sure glad I did cause it was really simple and fun to do.

The parts you need from the dealer are:
1. Upper plenum gasket. P/N 07C133238F
2. 2 Oetiker clamps P/N N10201801
3. 12 Sparks Plugs P/N 101905600B (Thought I could get them from an auto supplier but they are dealer only)

Here is how to if anyone else wants to try:

1. Remove the 3 plastic clip on engine covers. Front, center & rear.
2. Unscrew the 6 torx screws holding down each air box cover.
3. Remove them with filters.
4. Unbolt the 10mm bolt holding each air box in place.
5. Lift the box out a little then unplug the mass air flow sensor before removing.
6. Be sure to cover up the turbo intakes. Really don’t want anything to fall in there.
7. There is a little sensor upfront connected to a vacuum line. Be careful with this. Just pop it off the bracket. I used a panel popper.
8. Unbolt the 2 torx screws holding the fuel rail on to the manifold.
9. Unplug the sensors at the front of the intake manifold, then throttle body sensors, then breather lines to the sides of the manifold.
10. Disconnect the intake hoses to throttle bodies.
11. Now to the rear, remove the Oetiker clamps & pull the hoses off as well the little vacuum lines beside them.
12. Disconnect the vent line on the passenger side by throttle body.
13. Unbolt the 8 torx screws holding the manifold in place and lift it off.
14. The coils come out rather easily. Once again used the panel popper to get out.

After pulling the coils and before removing the spark plugs I vacuumed the area. Could see small pieces of sand and debris around the valve cover. Don’t want that falling into the engine. Because it was my 1st time doing this I did 1 plug at a time on the drivers side. For the passenger side I pulled out all the coils and did all the plugs at once. Put the coils back in the same spot they came out and add a little Vaseline around the boot so they slip into place easier. Dealer said not to gap the plugs just put them in as is. Once done reverse the steps to put back together using the new gasket and clamps.

Little tips:
1. Clean the intake manifold and upper plenum with some Acetone or Brake Cleaner to take off the oil. Gives the gasket a good seal.
2. Tighten up the all the bolts for each side of the upper manifold before install since you got access to the bottom bolts.
3. When reinstalling & before you bolt down the manifold plug the throttle body & front sensors back in.
4. The Sensor plugs are a little tight. Used a flat head screwdriver to push the end out so they open up & come off.

Hope this helps anyone that’s into doing there own maintenance!!!
\

Working on the plugs now on my car. Unfortunately in step 7 the tiny plastic tube on the bottom of the sensor broke off. Off to VW on Monday to see about getting a new part.
So far the most difficult part of the operation has been step 7 and removing the electrical connectors to the various sensors. Still not sure what the trick is. Presumably one inserts a very small screw driver somewhere and that releases the lock which then allows the electrical plug to pull out. Or maybe there is a special tool for this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: D.I.Y. Spark Plugs on 09 Flying Spur Speed with pics