Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Difference between D and S mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 01:15 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Difference between D and S mode?

Does anyone know if the only difference between S mode and D is gearbox shifts closer to redline? Does the turbo boost more or same as in D mode?

Asking as I had a little encounter with a MB C63 and it was quick. No way to overtake the C63 but kept up but not too close as he had semi slicks on which was kicking up hundreds of stones onto my bonnet! Just wondering if I had been in S mode could the GT overtake the C63?

J

Old 11-08-2012, 01:33 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
D = Drive
Good for old guys like me

S= Sport
Higher rpm before shifting, different engine map, stays in higher revs during downshift, firms up the suspension, makes the throttle more responsive, etc.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:07 PM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jc_333
Does anyone know if the only difference between S mode and D is gearbox shifts closer to redline? Does the turbo boost more or same as in D mode?

Asking as I had a little encounter with a MB C63 and it was quick. No way to overtake the C63 but kept up but not too close as he had semi slicks on which was kicking up hundreds of stones onto my bonnet! Just wondering if I had been in S mode could the GT overtake the C63?

J
C 63 amg Black Series are about 1200 pounds lighter than us. So the physics of us being a cow holds us back. The Bentley Ss will do really do well against the C63 Amg Black Series. Both have rear seats deleted. With the Ss being about 900 pounds heavier and at 620hp. This would be a good drag race. At 850hp like how I want to build mines, plus about 450 lbs lighter if i delete the rear seats(about 200 pounds), she will be a beast. But then again. I get my back and ***** massage doing 150mph with ease while listening to Sade. if I really want to lighten her up, I can use carbon fiber seats plus the rear seats deleted. But then I can't get my ***** massaged She is not meant to be a racer, but with enough money, hell yeah, she's quick!

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 11-08-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 PM
D is good but S sounds Super!

I didnt know S mode had a different map for the engine so you could say we are already factory chipped. Gonna drive it more in S to get a feel for it but it does feel a tad bit quicker but its hard to judge as the ride is just so smooth at the number u mentioned.

Wedgeduck...we are all eagerly awaiting for your CF monster to rip up the tarmac and show what a jekyll and hyde the GT truly is.

J

Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
D = Drive
Good for old guys like me

S= Sport
Higher rpm before shifting, different engine map, stays in higher revs during downshift, firms up the suspension, makes the throttle more responsive, etc.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:09 PM
D is good but S sounds Super!

I didnt know S mode had a different map for the engine so you could say we are already factory chipped. Gonna drive it more in S to get a feel for it but it does feel a tad bit quicker but its hard to judge as the ride is just so smooth at the number u mentioned.

Wedgeduck...we are all eagerly awaiting for your CF monster to rip up the tarmac and show what a jekyll and hyde the GT truly is.

J
you got bro. So much damm work money going into that cow to make her lighter and faster. Do you know that on your basic ECU upgrade and a good free flowing exhaust system, the cow can really move on S and Tiptronic. And sway bays running on sports mode suspension is really sweet. You just need good tires and light monoblock aluminum wheels and the difference is incredible. Should you be putting on your snow tires by now?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Too poor for snow tires....snow chains FTW! haha

I was looking at ECU flashes but do you know if the ECU will record number of flashes as I still have to take car back to dealer once for a service. Looking at the GIAC I know they have a flash loader/switch but I dont think its a simple flick of the switch to go back to OE map. If it requires a full flash to revert back to OE map then the number of flashes on ECU add up and I think it takes 45mins to flash.

Fastest and cheapest way to lighten up the cow is to do what Kanye west and JayZ did to the Maybach on their Otis video.

J

Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
you got bro. So much damm work money going into that cow to make her lighter and faster. Do you know that on your basic ECU upgrade and a good free flowing exhaust system, the cow can really move on S and Tiptronic. And sway bays running on sports mode suspension is really sweet. You just need good tires and light monoblock aluminum wheels and the difference is incredible. Should you be putting on your snow tires by now?

Last edited by jc_333; 11-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:37 AM
ccwboy will become famous soon enough
i remember when jeremy clarkson said in "top gear"when u put to S mode it engage the turbo..

Old 11-11-2012, 06:49 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Clarkson and Co. are great ENTERTAINERS and do usually provide good info. Still, always remember it is an ENTERTAINMENT show. And yes, a very good one at that.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:16 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Clarkson and Co. are great ENTERTAINERS and do usually provide good info. Still, always remember it is an ENTERTAINMENT show. And yes, a very good one at that.
And he blew up that SS tire on 21s. He and Bentley should have known better than to run those rubberbands that hard! Could have broken that poor cow's ankles wearing bad sneakers and all!

Old 11-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Too poor for snow tires....snow chains FTW! haha

I was looking at ECU flashes but do you know if the ECU will record number of flashes as I still have to take car back to dealer once for a service. Looking at the GIAC I know they have a flash loader/switch but I dont think its a simple flick of the switch to go back to OE map. If it requires a full flash to revert back to OE map then the number of flashes on ECU add up and I think it takes 45mins to flash.

Fastest and cheapest way to lighten up the cow is to do what Kanye west and JayZ did to the Maybach on their Otis video.

J
Call up GIAC and see if the dealer can read your ECU flash. Their are remap programs such as the one on my Audi that the dealer can't read. Also, GIAC ECU upgrades can give you options, like when you do want to run the new program or run stock. All this is at a push of a button. What did Kanye and Jayz do? Threw the hoes out of that backseat? my fiancée already gained a few pounds and I am *****ing. She needs to keep her weight between 105 and 115 if she wants to ride shotgun in Miss B. better yet just wait. DeltaVtechnologies have a serious 700hp program too. I would trust them more cause they own one and that motor and tranny has been torn to shreds cause all they do is tinker. Gotta love the motorheads man.

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 11-13-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Call up GIAC and see if the dealer can read your ECU flash. Their are remap programs such as the one on my Audi that the dealer can't read. Also, GIAC ECU upgrades can give you options, like when you do want to run the new program or run stock. All this is at a push of a button. What did Kanye and Jayz do? Threw the hoes out of that backseat? my fiancée already gained a few pounds and I am *****ing. She needs to keep her weight between 105 and 115 if she wants to ride shotgun in Miss B.
same some $ for divorce court bro.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
same some $ for divorce court bro.
Interesting dyno results that I need to post up for you guys later. You are not going to believe what these cars run on stock ECUs and what manufactures claim. You guys get to decide.

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 11-13-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Interesting dyno results that I need to post up for you guys later. You are not going to believe what these cars run on stock ECUs and what manufactures claim. You guys get to decide.
I am bracing for the truth. Let us be clear however that hp at the crank(manf.) and the wheel hp (dyno) will be quite a bit different. There is a common correction factor that will equate the two on average but i do not know it.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I am bracing for the truth. Let us be clear however that hp at the crank(manf.) and the wheel hp (dyno) will be quite a bit different. There is a common correction factor that will equate the two on average but i do not know it.
Yes, at the wheel. At the wheel a stock Bentley gets from 410 to 420whp. Mine with the stock ECUs attached, dyno on 22"s got only 395 ish. The torque was almost the same which is fantastic due to my exhaust system. Oh yeah, on 91 octane. On 93 octane plus stock wheels, u get the 410 to 420whp. We want that wheel HP or torque.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:44 PM
Looks like about 25% loss of power from the crank to the wheel. Does that sound normal?

I know Harley Davidsons claims are total BS. I did all kinds of modifications to my motors and just now getting real wheel #'s that are claimed on a stock bike.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Difference between D and S mode?