Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Anyone keep their dealer logo plates on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Anyone keep their dealer logo plates on?

My dealer has their name top and bottom in the numberplate surround, so it's not a big thing. And it's nice to be associated with a prominent dealer so folk don't think you bought it from Dave's Car Yard.

But the plate would probably look less cluttered if I put a clean frame on it.

What do you prefer?

Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
i have a matching black frame for the black car. Why advertise a dealer... or are they paying you $1 per mile to do so?

Old 12-09-2012, 08:30 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Smile

Originally Posted by kensilver
My dealer has their name top and bottom in the numberplate surround, so it's not a big thing. And it's nice to be associated with a prominent dealer so folk don't think you bought it from Dave's Car Yard.

But the plate would probably look less cluttered if I put a clean frame on it.

What do you prefer?
In the great state of Texas it is against the law for the license frame to cover any of the lettering on the plate and that includes the top and bottom parts. Aside from this law I definitely think the plate looks much better with out the clutter. I bought two very inexpensive frames from Amazon that look pretty nice (see attached picture).
Amazon Amazon

And as a bonus I have included a pdf file that documents how I mounted the front license frame on my GTC. The president of the Rolls Royce Owners club ask me to document my method as he wanted to use it (and actually did on his Flying Spur).

Attached Images  
Attached Files
Old 12-10-2012, 02:13 AM
kensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud ofkensilver has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
i have a matching black frame for the black car. Why advertise a dealer... or are they paying you $1 per mile to do so?
Light goes on above head

Old 12-10-2012, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Grwisher
...I definitely think the plate looks much better without the clutter...
Am beginning to agree with you.

I remember reading your post about mounting your front plate. Mine has a built-in space above the bottom grill for the plate, but our plates are about 3/4" too deep and overhangs below it. The thinner frame I can get the better I think.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
As expected I offer the other view.

I was given a nice chrome plate cover from Bentley of Naples at the used car dealer where i bought my car. I was going to put on a Harley one but it was to thick top fit under the rear camera. I like the plate cover and I think the chrome adds to the car. The dealer is nowhere around here and I do not consider it advertising.

My only question is does it improve the cosmetics of the car or not?

I then put a Harley sticker under that possibly making me the only Bentley owner in the world to have a bumper sticker from a motorcycle . Maybe that ain't so good??

Old 12-12-2012, 03:52 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dr.Disaster
I then put a Harley sticker under that possibly making me the only Bentley owner in the world to have a bumper sticker from a motorcycle
Probably true, yet i am probably the only one using Gorilla brand Duct Tape to hold a small part of the bumper. Hey, it has been almost THREE years and still on my first front bumper. This is a record!

Old 12-21-2012, 02:17 AM
I got Euro plates fitted today. These are long plates with a logo at each end, and the front one fits the designated space for it perfectly. I asked the dealer to put the plates on without drilling anything, and they used a strong tape adhesive which they assure me will stick the plates on so they never come off, yet can be removed if I decide to go to personalized plates.

I also asked for no frame, so the result is a nice clean plate without holes or messy ads. (Photo to come - it's night and the pics didn't come out well.)

Old 12-21-2012, 06:48 AM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Grwisher, I like the way you mounted the front plates for your 2013. Alot of guys will be taking note. As for us rude CA folks, we just don't bother with the whole front license plate thing on the front of luxury and exotic vehicle. On a Bentley, they would never pull you over unless you are being a complete idiot. For some reason, law enforment do not pull over high end luxury vehicles due to the fact that they might be getting sued from whoever might be in the vehicle. I drove around for months with the dealer ad plates on and no one seems to care. I can literally drive around with no plates on front or back and no one seems to care

Old 12-21-2012, 07:35 AM
Grwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the roughGrwisher is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Wedgeduck
As for us rude CA folks, we just don't bother with the whole front license plate thing on the front of luxury and exotic vehicle. On a Bentley, they would never pull you over unless you are being a complete idiot.
Sounds good - Just don't leave CA.

The reason I documented the front license plate thing is that the president of the Rolls Royce Owners Club noticed my installation and asked me for details. And the reason that he wanted to know is that, since he travels a lot in his Flying Spur, he has been stopped several times because he did not have a front license plate. I was stopped once when I didn't have one on my SL500.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by Grwisher
Sounds good - Just don't leave CA.

The reason I documented the front license plate thing is that the president of the Rolls Royce Owners Club noticed my installation and asked me for details. And the reason that he wanted to know is that, since he travels a lot in his Flying Spur, he has been stopped several times because he did not have a front license plate. I was stopped once when I didn't have one on my SL500.
Crazy how different states react to the front license plate law. Now if you were in a lesser known vehicle, or one of the modified, loud, rice rockets, your *** is grass! Now Porches, Ferraris, Lambos, GTRs, Vettes, all the fast looking vehicles, yes, your chances of getting pulled over for not having a front plate increases. A Bentley, RRs, AMs, Masseratis seemed to get away with everything around here. An excellent write-up by the way. You reminded me of an engineer that was doing manual write ups for Boeing.

Last edited by Wedgeduck; 12-21-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:19 AM
carlcline is on a distinguished road
My 2008 GT

Wow Grwisher. Thanks for the thorough description of how you dealt with the front license plate issue on GTs. I was interested in Chairpilot's bracket, but they haven't responded to me, maybe out of business. Anyway, I like your solution a lot. I may give it a go. Did you have any issues with the frame rubbing against the bumper and abraiding the paint?

Last edited by carlcline; 03-27-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
Probably true, yet i am probably the only one using Gorilla brand Duct Tape to hold a small part of the bumper. Hey, it has been almost THREE years and still on my first front bumper. This is a record!
Did you ever get a new bumper yet?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 AM
I did get a new bumper yet they have it with the car. Had pretty much all the needed parts and so handed them over to them with the car. BTW, Bentley really did make many improvements to the 2007 GTC over the 06 GT. Gaskets, connectors, how wiring is run and covered, etc.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by carlcline
Wow Grwisher. Thanks for the thorough description of how you dealt with the front license plate issue on GTs. I was interested in Chairpilot's bracket, but they haven't responded to me, maybe out of business. Anyway, I like your solution a lot. I may give it a go. Did you have any issues with the frame rubbing against the bumper and abraiding the paint?
I haven't seen any problems and I have removed it because I am entering my GTC in the annual Rolls Royce Owner's Club (RROC) meet in two weeks. Your mileage may vary. BTW - I don't remember if I mentioned it but the national president of RROC saw my setup and did it to his Flying Spur and he has been a national show winner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone keep their dealer logo plates on?