Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Intermittent Loss of Power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Douyon is on a distinguished road
Intermittent Loss of Power

Hello All,

Wanted to know if anyone had any idea why in my 2008 CFS occasionally when at a light, or even driving, the gas peddle becomes unresponsive. Meaning I can press down on the gas and no power response. Up and down motion on the gas peddle does nothing. eventually it comes back and all is well.

I took the car in and had Bentley of Parsippany put the computer on it. They say it could be the Purge Valve and Carbon Canister & Bank 1 Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor. Total cost of this job, $2,150. Purge Valve and Carbon Canister $870. Labor $480, & Bank 1 Exhaust Gas Temp Sensor $400, Labor $400
Does this make sense to you guys?

Any ideas or advice would be welcomed.

Thanks
Andre

Old 02-03-2013, 11:39 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
I'd check the throttle position sensor first. Had the same problem on a F250 pickup truck.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:48 AM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
Listen to the Dr. and check out the throtte sensor first as I dont see how the other parts would affect response.

I had the same bank 1 exhaust sensor changed which wasnt a must as it only monitors exhaust gas temps.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys, is the throttle sensor something dealer or Bentley Mechanic needs to do? or is it something I should do. I found a shop here in NJ that specializes in Bentley & RR. Is there something they can check and confirm? should there be errors logged in the computer? Sorry for all the silly questions.

Thank you for your patience, advice and help,

Andre

Old 02-04-2013, 07:41 PM
jc_333 will become famous soon enough
You could ask the NJ shop to read the car to see if there are any errors logged. If the errors are the same as those of the dealer you will need those parts replaced sooner or later. Either place will be fine as its not a difficult job so down to pricing and warranty.

I've had work carried out by dealer and non of which dealer provides 3yr warranty on any work carried out. Therefore, I will use dealer for complicated work (which may require firmware updates and such) and non for simple jobs.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Going into RR Bently shop to see what the Computer reports. Will report back with results.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:39 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
mines did the same thing but it was because the parking brake had a fault.. on my dash the word park in red lit up and brake was also in red.. the car would take off normal then lose all power with pedal for about 5 sec then kick back in full throttle.. i had to remove both parking brake
fuses in trunk then it ran fine...i have since fixed the EPB and all is well.. Its some sort of fail safe...

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
Don't you remember when this happened you put in a new cable.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 AM
BentleyF will become famous soon enough
No cable... its all electronic..Dealer replaced motor and drive gears were stripped. only on drivers side.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by BentleyF
No cable... its all electronic..Dealer replaced motor and drive gears were stripped. only on drivers side.
I understand they are all electric these days even the motorcycles. I was more poking fun at the fact that these electronic systems are very complicated and many things are interrelated as opposed to the older days when there was just a linkage and a cable all the way the the throttle body. There was no way your parking brake failure could affect the power output.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:42 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
(Humor) Did you check your turning blinker fluid? It may be low and needs to be refilled.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic
(Humor) Did you check your turning blinker fluid? It may be low and needs to be refilled.
My dealer told me he could check mine and adjust for only $500.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Thumbs up Issue Resolved

Dealer wanted to charge over 2k, and what they wanted to fix was not even related.

took car to Rocs Auto in Belleville, NJ. They specialize in Porsche, BMW, AUDI, ROLLS-ROYCE & BENTLEY. Richard and his team are great, fair, and honest. They also know there stuff when it comes to these cars. After explaining issue to Rich, he put it on the computer, and immediately noticed voltage issues, causing miss fires, and accelerator at 15% even though the car was at idle, along with other issues. His first suggestion was to replace the batteries, as they were 5 years old, and the car was reporting low voltage. He explained that there are many relays in this car, and that not supplying the proper voltage to them could cause them to not function properly. Richard replaced batteries, drove car, and put it back on the computer. 0 errors reported. He did not even see the errors the dealer was reporting. I picked the car up, and it felt like a new car. THe power was back. I have had it back for 5 days now, and have been driving every day. No issues. I saved over $1,500.00. I will not be going back to the dealer.

If your in the NJ, NY PA area and need reliable, knowledgeable, honest shop to work on your Bentley give these guys a call.

Rocs Auto
190 Washington Ave
Belleville, NJ 07109
(973) 844-1274
info@Rocsauto.com

Last edited by Douyon; 03-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:47 PM
gordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the roughgordon9898 is a jewel in the rough
Saved

i think you saved even more because the work the dealership was going to do was not even going to fix it, so you still would have had to go back there and maybe then get the new batteries. That is good you checked around at a second place and figured it out

Old 03-14-2013, 07:22 PM
you are absolutely correct Gordon. I am happy I found a honest shop that works on Bentley. We had to replace the battery in my moms BMW 535xi. the dealer charged over $500 for one battery and to reprogram the car. I paid $533 for 2 batteries reprogram and tax. Dealers are unbelievable.

Granted I do not get a loaner, and this shop is about 1 hour away, but I appreciate the honesty. I hate just giving money away.
Very satisfied, and happy issue was not major.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intermittent Loss of Power