Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

CGT exhaust flapper mod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 08:54 AM
Viper Guy is on a distinguished road
Easy sound mod. Thanks for the write up!

Chris -

Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 AM
REDNOSEGT will become famous soon enough
i just pulled off the cover and plugged the 2 lines with some screws.

once you have the cover off used some compressed air and blow out all the dust from the air ride compressor thats hidden under the cover,

Old 11-06-2013, 06:01 AM
carlosC4S is on a distinguished road
Anyone got pics of the vac lines, T connector and suggestions for a shut off valve or the screw plugs by any chance?

Old 06-03-2014, 06:35 PM
pw1388 is on a distinguished road
Can someone please take a photo of where I can disconnect the valve? I got a 2009 flying spur

Old 06-03-2014, 10:36 PM
Arachnophobia will become famous soon enoughArachnophobia will become famous soon enough
Is this different then just driving in sport mode?

Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
The mod' is different because the flaps are open all of the time so you get a louder exhaust note. Not overly loud though.

My Vac' pipes are blocked off just next to the silencers so presumably there was no need to remove any bodywork,etc.
It looks like the previous owner simply fitted appropriate sized bolts into the tubes and held them with jubilee clips.

Certainly sounds nice anyway.

Les.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:11 AM
pw1388 is on a distinguished road
Anyone got video or pic instruction on doing this mod?

Old 06-05-2014, 04:45 AM
Digger11 is on a distinguished road
Anyone who has done this mod can comment on the increase in any droning at speed or anything like that.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
The flapper mod is really simple. The effect is not terribly dramatic. The rumble sound is greater at low (i.e. city traffic speeds) but not obnoxious. My understanding is that the flappers are there to reduce low speed exhaust volume. Therefore, disarming them only affects the low RPM volume. I don't notice any difference on the highway. If you get on the loud pedal, you are certainly aware of the exhaust note but I don't think it is more pronounced because of the flapper mod.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:05 AM
SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMS
The flapper mod is really simple. The effect is not terribly dramatic. The rumble sound is greater at low (i.e. city traffic speeds) but not obnoxious. My understanding is that the flappers are there to reduce low speed exhaust volume. Therefore, disarming them only affects the low RPM volume. I don't notice any difference on the highway. If you get on the loud pedal, you are certainly aware of the exhaust note but I don't think it is more pronounced because of the flapper mod.
I have done this modification on my Superleggera and it does trickle the check engine light. Are you guys experience the same with your Bentley? Any Supersport owner did this?

Old 10-22-2015, 07:25 AM
PMS
PMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud ofPMS has much to be proud of
On my CGT I have not experienced the CEL as a consequence of the flapper mod. Are you certain you properly sealed the vacuum lines during the modification process?

Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 AM
SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !SuperleggeraGT3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PMS
On my CGT I have not experienced the CEL as a consequence of the flapper mod. Are you certain you properly sealed the vacuum lines during the modification process?
Thanks for your reply. On my Superlegger, I put a screw in the vacuum line and the check engine light would come on. Would this mod make my supersports louder than it is? Would it void the warranty? Thanks.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:56 AM
PMS
Wink

Originally Posted by SuperleggeraGT3
Thanks for your reply. On my Superlegger, I put a screw in the vacuum line and the check engine light would come on. Would this mod make my supersports louder than it is? Would it void the warranty? Thanks.
The mod does make your car louder, but only a very low rpm's. The purpose of the exhaust flapper is too reduce startup, and slow driving exhaust note. We don't want to annoy the neighbours, do we?

I've never owned a Bentley with warranty so I am not qualified to comment on your warranty question. If in doubt, undo the mod before going in for service.

Old 10-22-2015, 03:12 PM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
The mod shouldn't affect the CEL. It certainly doesn't on mine.
All that the vacuum pipe does is open the exhaust flaps under hard acceleration. There are no electrical connections involved so unless you have a leak I'm not sure why you are getting a warning.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:13 PM
I think the reason why there is checking engine light on my Superlegger is because of the natural aspirated engine. But I could be wrong.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CGT exhaust flapper mod?