Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Maserati Quattroporte vs. Bentley Continental GT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Spyd3r is on a distinguished road
Smile Maserati Quattroporte vs. Bentley Continental GT

I am a guy in my late 20s deciding between a 2009 Maserati Quattroporte(4.2 Auto) and a 2006 Bentley Continental GT.

The Maserati has about 24,000 on the odometer and about 40,000 on the CGT. The QP is going for $62k firm while I can negotiate the CGT down to about $72,000.

I’m looking for something reliable and at the same time fun to drive. I own a business in a image-heavy industry(especially here in NYC) and often clients won’t sign with you unless they see that you’ve ‘been there and done that’. I want to come off as mature and sophisticated without looking arrogant. The extra attention when pulling up to places like clubs or getting a compliment from a friend/girl would not hurt either

Will only drive the car when needed(once or twice a week), since taking the taxi in NYC is faster and more convenient. Probably 3,000 miles a year should be plenty.

Reliability is a major factor, the car with the least amount of potential issues would be ideal.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 06-01-2013, 03:15 PM
REDNOSEGT will become famous soon enough
i dont like maseratis, i know a couple guys and they have had lots of issues,

the gt is a more solid built car in my opinion. but backseats are tiny and you will need a flying spur if you want guys jumping in and out of the backseat.

Old 06-01-2013, 05:10 PM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Excellent questions and been there, done that, read the book, saw the movie....

Maserati and reliability? Then there is the total COST of ownership....

Get the Bentley. Been there, done that... twice and VERY happy I did too

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
I owned a QP in '05 and while I never had problems, the transmission was horrible. Not sure if they corrected it by '08, though I know they eventually did. It's a nice car and having 4 doors and a real back seat is a plus so if you want to make an apples-to-apples comparison, better to be looking at a Flying Spur than a GT.
I'm on my third Bentley GTC so needless to say, I'm partial. Heck, everyone on this forum is partial or else they'd be elsewhere. I just got stopped by a family of 4 that couldn't stop ogling my car and asking all sorts of questions, all starry-eyed. That isn't a likelihood with a QP so if it's attention you want, you've got to go with the Bentley.
Lastly, these are used cars that are expensive to repair and service. Caveat emptor.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Wedgeduck will become famous soon enough
Sexy yes. Reliability .?

Old 06-02-2013, 07:20 AM
Ryan9095 is on a distinguished road
Maserati isn't necessarily known for reliability. Every time I consider getting one all my car enthusiast buddies try to scare me away. My father personally loves the brand and has a GranTurismo but he only gets new cars and keeps them for a few years before any potential problems arise. In your case I'd go with the Bentley!

Old 06-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Location: Split my time between Miami, Sanibel & Woodstock, VT
SanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant futureSanibelSpeed has a brilliant future
Reference reliability: Maserati is owned by FIAT and everyone knows what F.I.A.T. stands for.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Ryan9095 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
Reference reliability: Maserati is owned by FIAT and everyone knows what F.I.A.T. stands for.
Fix It Again Tony! Haha

Old 06-02-2013, 11:09 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
...everyone knows what F.I.A.T. stands for.
Yup, been there, done that, read the book, saw the movie. NEVER again. NEVER!!! And no, don't ask.

Love the Bentley!!!! That's why I am on the second one

Old 06-02-2013, 01:33 PM
cdavis43 is on a distinguished road
No one will ever pull up next to you and start talking to you in the Maserati like they do me everytime im in my CGT how is that foe attention.

Reliabilty in CGT is now worriea just mai.tain it and you are good. Would get at least an 07 tho.

Cliff

Cliff

Old 06-02-2013, 01:45 PM
krpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to beholdkrpt176 is a splendid one to behold
I lived in NYC for 10 years and can relate to your need to impress in the image oriented business you are in.
No disrespect but the Maserati doesn't scream prestige to me the way the Bentley does. I'm not commenting on reliability since I've never owned one but as far as the marquee and name brand, Bentley trumps the Maserati 10 times out of 10.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:35 AM
Something I find interesting... how many people have owned a Bentley and enjoy it so much they get another one? Seems to me this happens at a good rate with Bentley yet not with a Maserati. What that leads me to believe is that people LOVE their Bentley so much they want to go again with it whilst, perhaps, people only enjoy their Maserati until they grow out of it/learn about the reality/quality of the brand. Am just saying...

Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !Cannonball996 Is a GOD !
they are very different cars, I was never impressed by the QP, didnt corner as well as I would have thought, and it felt sluggish. its a car that is trying real hard to be an S-class, and it does not come close.

I have always liked the CGT, come really close to buying one on more then one occasion.

Old 06-03-2013, 12:32 PM
Dr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to allDr.Disaster is a name known to all
The two cars in question are not directly comparable as has been mentioned. If you need four real seats for business then the QP may be ok but the GT rear seats are small. The FS is the Bentley of choice unless you can afford the Mulsane. I do not expect the quality of build to be equal with the Bentley the better of the two. One is more racey and flash with noise the other a more stately finesse and refinement.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:03 AM
ek1
ek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura aboutek1 has a spectacular aura about
Food for thought:

When I was picking up my Bentley from the dealership in CT, they gave me a tour of the service facility. They service Bentley, Rolls Royce, Maserati, Mclaren and Ferrari. At least 70% of cars being serviced were Maseratis.

I never owned one, but I spoke to plenty of people that did and still do. To put it short, "Maserati" and "reliability" are not to be used in the same sentence.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Maserati Quattroporte vs. Bentley Continental GT