Bentley From the original 3 Litre to the current Continental GT and Mulsanne

Power boot latch closed with bootlid in opening position. How to fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 05:44 AM
MalvernMichael is an unknown quantity at this point
Same Issue

Originally Posted by TridentGT
I had the same issue, but the key fob trick didn't work, nor did the owner's manual reset. My issue came from a dead battery with the 'boot' lid open.

I recharged the battery. I removed the interior trunk trim panel (1 screw, then pull hard, but not too hard there are 2 lights and the emergency release mechanism that have limited cords).

I tried about 20 different things, mechanically none of them worked, but WHAT DID WORK was unplugging the 'cannon plug' or connector from the lock mechanism. I let it sit for about 5 minutes then plugged it back in. The lock immediately when to through the cycle then has worked perfectly for me for the past 2 days and about 10 opening cycles. While I was in there I lubed everything up, but think it was the 'computer' hard reset that got me back in Action!

Good luck. I cry when my GT is out of commission.
Hi
I have the same issue, how do you remove the trim to get access the the latch power plug you mention?
Thanks Michael

Old 05-08-2016, 08:47 AM
joc44 will become famous soon enoughjoc44 will become famous soon enough
This not as hard as you think to solve, so the latch is in the closed position but the boot is open, all i do is PRESS the "B" on the boot lift 3 or 4 inches and let go, some times i will lift it once more but it will close the second time with on problems.
give it a go and let us all know how you get on.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by joc44
This not as hard as you think to solve, so the latch is in the closed position but the boot is open, all i do is PRESS the "B" on the boot lift 3 or 4 inches and let go, some times i will lift it once more but it will close the second time with on problems.
give it a go and let us all know how you get on.
Hi
Thanks for that, I have just tried it but no luck, I can hear the mechanism operate but it doesn't move the hook to the open position.

I am guessing it needs some sort of reset or something has dropped off inside the boot lid but I can't see how to remove the boot lid trim to access the lock.

Old 05-09-2016, 01:36 AM
The boot cover is only held in place with 4 screws, 3 in the warning triangle and 1 in the hole on the right lets call it the grab handle, the rest of the job to remove it is just PULL but be gentle, held on with clips see pic.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:57 AM
The boot cover is only held in place with 4 screws, 3 in the warning triangle and 1 in the hole on the right lets call it the grab handle, the rest of the job to remove it is just PULL but be gentle, held on with clips see pic.
Thank you so much, once you had shown me the type of clip I was able to remove the panel and seem to have it working again after a bit of tinkering.
I not too sure how I managed to get it working so I may still need to take it to dealer.
But very grateful for yours and others help.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:31 AM
Nrick70 is on a distinguished road
Just as a bit of a warning when I picked my '05 car up a few years ago, there was an intermittent fault on the boot, I am sure it was one of the reasons that the car had been Px'd. After a few soul searching moments and some old fashioned diagnostics I found a broken cable in the wiring loom going through to the boot from boot compartment. It turned out to be a 2 second job once I found it. I'd be surprised if this was a one off. The cables run through a plastic cover on the right hand side (RHD) of the boot as you look at it.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by Nrick70
Just as a bit of a warning when I picked my '05 car up a few years ago, there was an intermittent fault on the boot, I am sure it was one of the reasons that the car had been Px'd. After a few soul searching moments and some old fashioned diagnostics I found a broken cable in the wiring loom going through to the boot from boot compartment. It turned out to be a 2 second job once I found it. I'd be surprised if this was a one off. The cables run through a plastic cover on the right hand side (RHD) of the boot as you look at it.
Hi
Thanks for the tip, I will have a look at the wiring as the boot is still only popping after second or third press of the boot release.

Old 05-13-2016, 01:30 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
The B logo button on the boot/trunk are known to fail. The microswitch is the culprit.
Had mine changed a couple of years ago.

Les.

Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 AM
Had to do mine last year take a look, How to replace the boot badge, bcgt.

How to replace the boot badge, bcgt.

Last edited by joc44; 05-13-2016 at 11:41 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:51 PM
Had to do mine last year take a look, How to replace the boot badge, bcgt.

How to replace the boot badge, bcgt.

Hi Joc44
Thank you for pics.
I now have a boot that seems to open But! is it working properly?
If I press the remote boot release I can hear the latch operate but I then have to press one or two more times before the boot lids pops, is this how they work or do I still have a problem?

Old 05-16-2016, 01:53 AM
ExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to allExSF is a name known to all
It should open with just one touch.
Does it need a bit of lubrication.

Les.

Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 AM
Mine would only work after 3 or 4 goes, so off to the internet and got a great buy.
The new one was obviously so different, i take it the one i got is for the much newer cars
but it well fit, take a look at pic 2 see the way its just broken down inside.
will ask P if he has some more and will put you together if he has

Old 05-16-2016, 10:17 AM
stevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond reputestevenrmusic has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, they redesigned it and I think you might need to make the hole in the car a touch bigger for the newer version as I recall.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:47 AM
Originally Posted by ExSF
It should open with just one touch.
Does it need a bit of lubrication.

Les.
ExSf
Why did I look for all those complicated solutions
You were right, a squirt of Wurths on the lock and all working well.
How stupid do I feel now🙄

Old 05-17-2016, 07:06 AM
Not as stupid as going to the main dealers for them to spray a bit of Wurths on it, then charge you an arm and a leg for the privilege.

Les.

P.S. There is a great Bentley indy in Crewe, Ivor Twiss. Just google his name and you will find him. Top man to be sure.

Last edited by ExSF; 05-17-2016 at 07:13 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power boot latch closed with bootlid in opening position. How to fix?